Way way way too early 2021 free agency wishlist

sturt

35 minutes ago, AHF said:

The time to get him was the 2019 offseason when it would have been very easy to outbid the $3.5M per year contract he signed.  He will get a big increase and play a big role with his next team.

We did outbid Indy for him in 2019. He wanted PT 

• Moderators
Just now, NBASupes said:

We did outbid Indy for him in 2019. He wanted PT 

Not by enough.  I seriously doubt he passed a $12M contract to sign one for $7M.  He got 18.5 mpg for Indy which was less than the primary PG (Malcom Brogdon 30.9 mpg) and the next PG (Aaron Holiday 24.5 mpg) to get his tertiary backup 18.7 mpg.  

Rather than competing with Aaron Holiday and an experienced vet for minutes, he would have been competing with a rookie (Trae) and Evan ****ing waste of space Turner.  So I don't see his opportunity being so much greater on that Indy roster than it would have been for us.

At $6M per year, he would have been well worth it and that would have been almost double what the Pacers paid him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AHF said:

Not by enough.  I seriously doubt he passed a $12M contract to sign one for $7M.  He got 18.5 mpg for Indy which was less than the primary PG (Malcom Brogdon 30.9 mpg) and the next PG (Aaron Holiday 24.5 mpg) to get his tertiary backup 18.7 mpg.  

Rather than competing with Aaron Holiday and an experienced vet for minutes, he would have been competing with a rookie (Trae) and Evan ****ing waste of space Turner.  So I don't see his opportunity being so much greater on that Indy roster than it would have been for us.

At $6M per year, he would have been well worth it and that would have been almost double what the Pacers paid him.

For 6 mil, he would be a value asset for us. 

1. Either resign JC or SnT him for a couple 1st round picks or just one 1st round pick. 

2. Sign a backup PG of quality, D. Rose, T.J. McConnell, etc. I'll rather a PG who fits what Trae does instead of one of these guys but these guys have value as well. I would prefer a cheaper signing like Shane Larkin or drafting Sharife Cooper. 

3. Sign a backup SF better than Tony Snell. Otto Porter Jr. Is someone that appeals to me but I feel he will appeal to others as well. Torrey Craig, Justice Winslow, Andre Iguodala, etc fit as well. 

4. If JC is traded, sign a cheaper fill in. Blake Griffin, Trezz, Portis, Millsap, Olynyk, etc. I have Kevin higher on the tier list than JC since JC wants so much and is really just a 6th man on a playoff team as well. So if both are just 6th man, I am choosing the much cheaper option. That said, we can get out of Gallo contract in 2022 so we can keep JC but if he's just a 6th man on a contender, that's problematic. 

5. Resign Solo as the 15th man and a locker room presence. Resign Nathan Knight. Think hard about Skylar May's. While I am a believer in Brandon Goodwin as a NBA player, I am not sure he's a fit with what we do. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Not calling for it, just thinking out loud.  There's no doubt in my mind Porzingo would thrive here playing the 4.

His problem is his price tag. I'll rather JC over him honestly 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Ya'll gotta remember, Trae and Kevin are up for extensions. 

In 2022, Hunter and Reddish. 

In 2023, Okongwu 

We only got so much money even with Tony willing to pay the LT and salaries raising. 

Our Ainge moment is coming… but we gonna do it right, he F’d it up for the Celts.

11 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Not calling for it, just thinking out loud.  There's no doubt in my mind Porzingo would thrive here playing the 4.

Good God WHO R U??? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH KG? 

4 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Our Ainge moment is coming… but we gonna do it right, he F’d it up for the Celts.

Good God WHO R U??? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH KG? 

Agree with your strAinge comment.

You know I'm not high on Porzingo, in general.  But don't underestimate the shrinkage in his game due to who he's playing with versus having someone here to elevate him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

His problem is his price tag. I'll rather JC over him honestly 

I'd rather have Gallo than him honestly.  For two guys who basically score from the perimeter and do little else, one shoots .545% TS% while the other shoots .592% TS% for their careers.  Even this year, Gallo was .031 better and this was by far Zingo's best season.  Gallo has also played significantly more games every year for the last 3 years.

• Like 4

• Premium Member

To no one in particular...

I take for granted that getting JC back is the #1 priority and that it will happen. Maybe I'm a little too sure of that. I certainly hope not.

But now that we're going to start thinking of ourselves apparently as true contenders for the 2021-22 holy grail, I feel that it's actually a case of having a Priority #1a and Priority #1b.... #1a is JC, and #1b is getting the horse that is Trae's primary back-up for the next 2-3 seasons into the barn.

It's not going to be enough to just acquire just any otherwise competent point guard to be in the second column of the depth chart. (To be in that third, okay, but not the second.)

And just to preface what I'm about to say, I'm a new convert to this, and was dragged kinda kicking and screaming to the conclusion following the Rondo/LouWill trade. I used to subscribe to the very opposite of this thinking, but I've seen the light.

That is... it is a must for whoever is the #2 behind Trae to be an offensive weapon; and by offensive weapon, I mean someone who is no stranger to 20+ point games, and thus, someone who when Trae goes to the bench, remains as someone who the defense has to respect almost as much.

So, I'm not real enthusiastic about anyone who doesn't meet that criterion.

If you could get 28-30 yr old Lou Williams, that would be a huge get. He's not available, but that is the effectively the prototype and goal.

Might have to bend on age. Would like to think not b/c you'd really like to fully expect the new back-up to have practically as much in the tank in our third year of serious assault on the big trophy as the first.

Might have to bend on signing someone who has played more SG than PG, but then, that's true of LouWill, and more to the point, I personally have significantly less heartburn given what we've seen from our #1 and #2 SGs this season--there are ample ball skills in that backcourt as-is so you don't need a ball magician or someone to bring the ball up court so much as you need a competent ball handler with excellent ability to score the ball.

Might have to go the trade route instead of the FA route to get the best candidate, and if that's the case, probably have to identify someone who you have reason to think you could re-sign after his contract ends, but you really want that contract to extend through 2022-23 so you know you can lock him into your depth chart for two seasons.

• Like 2

Lou Williams may be ready to retire at season's end.  But, he might change his mind and stick around for a couple more years.  I know.  He's getting up in years for a NBA player.  He still has talent.  He took our rookie center under his arm and helped him to become what we see today.

Too old?  Maybe not.  Keep an eye on him for the remainder of the post season.  He may not be as quick as he once was but I'll bet he's smarter.  Don't always sell out on us old dudes!

:smug:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gray Mule said:

Lou Williams may be ready to retire at season's end.  But, he might change his mind and stick around for a couple more years.  I know.  He's getting up in years for a NBA player.  He still has talent.  He took our rookie center under his arm and helped him to become what we see today.

Too old?  Maybe not.  Keep an eye on him for the remainder of the post season.  He may not be as quick as he once was but I'll bet he's smarter.  Don't always sell out on us old dudes!

:smug:

No matter what, he's a vet min player

2 hours ago, sturt said:

To no one in particular...

I take for granted that getting JC back is the #1 priority and that it will happen. Maybe I'm a little to sure of that. I certainly hope not.

But now that we're going to start thinking of ourselves apparently as true contenders for the 2021-22 holy grail, I feel that it's actually a case of having a Priority #1a and Priority #1b.... #1a is JC, and #1b is getting the horse that is Trae's primary back-up for the next 2-3 seasons into the barn.

It's not going to be enough to just acquire just any otherwise competent point guard to be in the second column of the depth chart. (To be in that third, okay, but not the second.)

And just to preface what I'm about to say, I'm a new convert to this, and was dragged kinda kicking and screaming to the conclusion following the Rondo/LouWill trade. I used to subscribe to the very opposite of this thinking, but I've seen the light.

That is... it is a must for whoever is the #2 behind Trae to be an offensive weapon; and by offensive weapon, I mean someone who is no stranger to 20+ point games, and thus, someone who when Trae goes to the bench, remains as someone who the defense has to respect almost as much.

So, I'm not real enthusiastic about anyone who doesn't meet that criterion.

If you could get 28-30 yr old Lou Williams, that would be a huge get. He's not available, but that is the effectively the prototype and goal.

Might have to bend on age. Would like to think not b/c you'd really like to fully expect the new back-up to have practically as much in the tank in our third year of serious assault on the big trophy as the first.

Might have to bend on signing someone who has played more SG than PG, but then, that's true of LouWill, and more to the point, I personally have significantly less heartburn given what we've seen from our #1 and #2 SGs this season--there are ample ball skills in that backcourt as-is so you don't need a ball magician or someone to bring the ball up court so much as you need a competent ball handler with excellent ability to score the ball.

Might have to go the trade route instead of the FA route to get the best candidate, and if that's the case, probably have to identify someone who you have reason to think you could re-sign after his contract ends, but you really want that contract to extend through 2022-23 so you know you can lock him into your depth chart for two seasons.

I really agree with your #2 point that anyone who plays PG behind Trae has to be an offensive engine. That's why I like Shane Larkin so much.

Edited by NBASupes

We got literally 3 wings (Kev, Cam, and Hunter) and one should be our PF of the future. 

We gotta get more wings. Contenders don't have Snell and Hill in the playoff rotation 

We gotta a lot of guards

Edited by NBASupes

21 hours ago, NBASupes said:

1. Either resign JC or SnT him for a couple 1st round picks or just one 1st round pick. 

2. Sign a backup PG of quality, D. Rose, T.J. McConnell, etc. I'll rather a PG who fits what Trae does instead of one of these guys but these guys have value as well. I would prefer a cheaper signing like Shane Larkin or drafting Sharife Cooper. 

3. Sign a backup SF better than Tony Snell. Otto Porter Jr. Is someone that appeals to me but I feel he will appeal to others as well. Torrey Craig, Justice Winslow, Andre Iguodala, etc fit as well. 

4. If JC is traded, sign a cheaper fill in. Blake Griffin, Trezz, Portis, Millsap, Olynyk, etc. I have Kevin higher on the tier list than JC since JC wants so much and is really just a 6th man on a playoff team as well. So if both are just 6th man, I am choosing the much cheaper option. That said, we can get out of Gallo contract in 2022 so we can keep JC but if he's just a 6th man on a contender, that's problematic. 

5. Resign Solo as the 15th man and a locker room presence. Resign Nathan Knight. Think hard about Skylar May's. While I am a believer in Brandon Goodwin as a NBA player, I am not sure he's a fit with what we do. 

Move 3 to 2. We really gonna have to address that SF position depth. Especially if JC is traded and we move Hunter to PF.