• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Way way way too early 2021 free agency wishlist

sturt

• Premium Member
On 6/11/2021 at 12:18 PM, sturt said:

To no one in particular...

I take for granted that getting JC back is the #1 priority and that it will happen. Maybe I'm a little too sure of that. I certainly hope not.

But now that we're going to start thinking of ourselves apparently as true contenders for the 2021-22 holy grail, I feel that it's actually a case of having a Priority #1a and Priority #1b.... #1a is JC, and #1b is getting the horse that is Trae's primary back-up for the next 2-3 seasons into the barn.

It's not going to be enough to just acquire just any otherwise competent point guard to be in the second column of the depth chart. (To be in that third, okay, but not the second.)

And just to preface what I'm about to say, I'm a new convert to this, and was dragged kinda kicking and screaming to the conclusion following the Rondo/LouWill trade. I used to subscribe to the very opposite of this thinking, but I've seen the light.

That is... it is a must for whoever is the #2 behind Trae to be an offensive weapon; and by offensive weapon, I mean someone who is no stranger to 20+ point games, and thus, someone who when Trae goes to the bench, remains as someone who the defense has to respect almost as much.

So, I'm not real enthusiastic about anyone who doesn't meet that criterion.

If you could get 28-30 yr old Lou Williams, that would be a huge get. He's not available, but that is the effectively the prototype and goal.

Might have to bend on age. Would like to think not b/c you'd really like to fully expect the new back-up to have practically as much in the tank in our third year of serious assault on the big trophy as the first.

Might have to bend on signing someone who has played more SG than PG, but then, that's true of LouWill, and more to the point, I personally have significantly less heartburn given what we've seen from our #1 and #2 SGs this season--there are ample ball skills in that backcourt as-is so you don't need a ball magician or someone to bring the ball up court so much as you need a competent ball handler with excellent ability to score the ball.

Might have to go the trade route instead of the FA route to get the best candidate, and if that's the case, probably have to identify someone who you have reason to think you could re-sign after his contract ends, but you really want that contract to extend through 2022-23 so you know you can lock him into your depth chart for two seasons.

To put a finer point on why I advocate for some candidates, not so much others who seem to have gotten some celebrity in this thread and elsewhere...

2021-06-13_14-08-03.png

By the way... that's not LouWill's number for 20+ points. He's had 6, including 1 30+. It's someone else's. Yeah. That guy. But the criterion is the purpose of this post, not advocacy for a particular player. The criterion eliminates more candidates, obviously, than it approves.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hylndr11 said:

Well good I think the slim picking may force some teams to sign him way past what we are willing to do 

SnT is always a possibility but it will be hard for teams like Dallas and Miami where they don't have an asset that would make Atlanta bite.

As of now, here is my need log

1. A young SF to challenge Cam Reddish for SF of the future. Jalen Johnson, Corey Kispert, Franz Wagner, Troy Murphy III, and Zaire Williams all come to mind. Williams maybe too raw. Wagner is intriguing and Murphy reminds me of former Hawk DerMarr Johnson. Kispert and Johnson might be too high for 20 and unlikely to fall this far. 

2. Resign or SnT JC. Ideally, I would like to keep JC as the starting PF for 2021-22 and by the playoffs move him to his long term role of 6th man with Kevin. Sorry JC stans, I see Hunter being the PF of the future for us. 

3. Extension for Kevin and Trae. 

4. Backup PG for Lou Williams replacement is key. Teams are vying for McConnell and Rose so it's looking like slim pickings for us. I really really really like Shane Larkin or even his teammate who OKC has his rights. Give them their 1st back for him. He just won Euroleague MVP.

5. I would like to get a bigger center that can guard Embiid in the post. Maybe move up in the draft to get Ariel Hukporti or draft Charles Bassey at 48. Obviously, this is a two way contract pick. 

6. I am loving our SG situation with Bogi, Kevin, and Skylar Mays. PG situation is less stable. Goodwin is fine as our 3rd string PG. We still need a backup PG to replace Lou. Dunn likely ain't it. I like our PF position too. HC, Gallo, and Knight. Also, Hunter should be in the mix for 2022 playoffs.

2021-22 SF is a tad weak, Hunter, Cam, and Solo isn't enough. We need at least two more SFs. Especially since Hunter can also play the 4 when it matters. Center position is a question mark outside of the top 2. Capela and Okongwu is perfect for next year but is Bruno good enough to stay for 2021-22? Do we got anyone that can give Embiid some fight. We gonna improve at the 5 internally. 

Locks

Trae/Dunn

Bogi/Kevin

Hunter/Cam

Gallo/Knight

Capela/Okongwu 

Possibly 

Goodwin

Mays 

Solo

JC

-

On the edge or done

Lou

Snell

-

-

Bruno 

Assets 20/48

Full MLE if we resign JC

The other exception as well 

We got a lot of draft capital.

• Thanks 1

Perfect offseason would be

Trae/Micic/Goodwin

Bogi/Kevin/May's

Hunter/Reddish/Hill/20th overall

JC/Gallo/Knight

Capela/Okongwu/48 overall(two way)

The others

Bruno signs two way with another team 

Snell joins a contender for the bi annual

Lou retires 

Dunn traded with the OKC 1st for Micic. They like players like Dunn.

I don't have a clue what TS could do with the 2nd Two way. 

I hope JC resigns for 4/80 million. 

Micic highlights 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Bruno is guaranteed through next season.

Entire 3rd team except Bruno can or will hit free agency.

I know but he's also cheap and a potential cut. Dunn at 5 million cost too much on the books. Bruno is making 1.7 mil. That's nothing to cut. That said, Bruno has at least two games left to prove that he's the center that can guard Embiid. If he can. He brought himself at least a year on the roster. If he can't or doesn't get the chance. He's getting cut.

2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Eh, that's not a ringing endorsement. 😄

I'm thinking Lou can't play either position now.  Certainly not for more than 2 or 3 possessions. 😔

I was talking Lou Williams in general career wise, not washed up Lou which we got right now. Watch the damn tape. 16.7 ppg in Euroleague, tremendous metrics, 39% from 3, PnR maestro. He's a legit offensive engine. 

Stop asking all of these damn questions, I posted video so you guys can see how he plays

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I was talking Lou Williams in general career wise, not washed up Lou which we got right now. Watch the damn tape. 16.7 ppg in Euroleague, tremendous metrics, 39% from 3, PnR maestro. He's a legit offensive engine. 

Stop asking all of these damn questions, I posted video so you guys can see how he plays

I didn't ask you anything.  Read the d*mn post.

😎

• Haha 3

Just now, kg01 said:

I didn't ask you anything.  Read the d*mn post.

😎

Damnit kg, lol. Micic is nice af. I was impressed by his metrics. Then I looked his film and was like, he fits exactly what we do but he can play multiple positions unlike Larkin. OKC has his rights. PHI wanted to bring him over last year but his agent wasn't ready. Now he's ready but he wants the right situation which might be or might not be OKC. Bulls are interested as well in a move for him but Atlanta has a lot more draft assets and most importantly, we have OKC draft assets, lol.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Damnit kg, lol. Micic is nice af. I was impressed by his metrics. Then I looked his film and was like, he fits exactly what we do but he can play multiple positions unlike Larkin. OKC has his rights. PHI wanted to bring him over last year but his agent wasn't ready. Now he's ready but he wants the right situation which might be or might not be OKC. Bulls are interested as well in a move for him but Atlanta has a lot more draft assets and most importantly, we have OKC draft assets, lol.

Yeah, he looks good.  PDS guy.  If he's looking to start, OKC or CHI fit better for him.  If he's looking for a key role on a winning team, ATL makes sense.

I'll get killed for this, but I wonder if Austin Rivers would be a target.  I liked what he did for DEN.

• Like 3