• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Grizzlies at Hawks

lethalweapon3

I knew this would be a PITA game. I can't think of any team in the league, save the Nets, who could beat this Memphis team with their starting front line and best scoring back up big out.

The 3rd quarter crushed us, otherwise it was a respectable showing. I like Okongwu and this time next season he will be pushing Gallinari for minutes off the bench. It will be a good choice for Nate to have, Offensive or defensive depending on what is needed.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I think he's destined to be an small ball energy big. It's tough to dominate inside at 6'8".

How tall/big is Adebayo, by comparison?  He's not dominant but has flashes where he's pretty impactful.

I'm afraid Embiid may have unlocked himself finally.  Scary proposition.  If OO struggles to this degree against Valunc, he got no hope against a motivated Jo-L.  Here's hoping Jo still replenishes his energy with cheez-whiz and ho-ho's (I mean the debbie cakes, but ... eh, either way) since they're a potential 2nd round opponent.

#WayTooEarlyPlannin'Baybee

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Winning without JC is possible, winning without Capela is possible. Winning without JC and Capela is impossible. You cant have a couple green horns manning your front court, no one wins in the NBA that way. 

On the surface, the matchup of our bigs vs theirs wasn't even what hurt us most.  It was the fact that there was no resistance to their guard/wang penetration (hehe).  Second-chance points to Anderson (who I refuse to call slomo) were killer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

On the surface, the matchup of our bigs vs theirs wasn't even what hurt us most.  It was the fact that there was no resistance to their guard/wang penetration (hehe).  Second-chance points to Anderson (who I refuse to call slomo) were killer.

3rd quarter was an avalanche and there was no recovering, it happens sometimes.

• Like 2

Hawks have a starting five that would have given our opponent fits last night:

KRIS DUNN

CAM REDDISH

DE`ANDRE HUNTER

JOHN COLLINS

CLINT CAPELA

AND WITH DANILO GALLINARI ON THE BENCH.

Hawks would have had better defense, I believe.  Imagine starting the third quarter with these players, all well and rested by not playing in the 1st half.  I don't see this lineup getting run out of the gym by last night's opponent.  Lots of defense and fire power there.  And, all six are current Hawks!

:sun:

• Like 1

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, Buzzard said:

I knew this would be a PITA game. I can't think of any team in the league, save the Nets, who could beat this Memphis team with their starting front line and best scoring back up big out.

The 3rd quarter crushed us, otherwise it was a respectable showing. I like Okongwu and this time next season he will be pushing Gallinari for minutes off the bench. It will be a good choice for Nate to have, Offensive or defensive depending on what is needed.

We need a center to backup Capela. Okonguw has played well, but he looked like a little boy compared to JV. Nathan Knight is not the answer either. We havea  glut of PFs on the team and no centers.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Atlantaholic said:

We need a center to backup Capela. Okonguw has played well, but he looked like a little boy compared to JV. Nathan Knight is not the answer either. We havea  glut of PFs on the team and no centers.

I agree it's our biggest hole on the bench but I also don't think it's a huge deal IF Capela is playing.  Running smaller lineups isn't the end of the world, especially when it's the bench squads that won't be up against the elite centers of the league.  With that said, it's so painful when Capela is out... guys are compensating all over the place on defense without his presence in the paint.  We also looked tired on the 2nd night of a b2b with lots of rotation players out, so I'm not taking too much away from that game.  It does annoy me the Grizzlies seem to always have our number.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JeffS17 said:

I agree it's our biggest hole on the bench but I also don't think it's a huge deal IF Capela is playing.  Running smaller lineups isn't the end of the world, especially when it's the bench squads that won't be up against the elite centers of the league.  With that said, it's so painful when Capela is out... guys are compensating all over the place on defense without his presence in the paint.  We also looked tired on the 2nd night of a b2b with lots of rotation players out, so I'm not taking too much away from that game.  It does annoy me the Grizzlies seem to always have our number.

Grizz also on a second of a b2b and traveled, while Hawks did not, so I don't view that as a relevant factor. But yea, with Cap it's not a huge deal but he has missed many, many games the last coupple of years and seems to have something going on there with his heel that could end up being chronic. If we want to win this core we need a very, very solid plan B we can plug in and at least hold the fort to some degree. I though drafting Okonguw was Capela insurance, but it's crystal clear to me his future is at PF and not at C. While it was nice to get Lou for Rondo I kinda wish we could have gotten a Zubac caliber player inside instead, since it's a much bigger need considering Cap's ongoing nagging issues. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

No he didn't.  He played exactly like he's been playing recently. 

Nah, there were some momentum plays where play wanted to go at Grayson instead of play team ball and played right into the Grizz hands. SWING THE BALL SON! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

He was the only one around the rim going for offensive rebounds, and he couldn't get them with Valanciunas in the game. 

He’s 20 years old in his first career start with 6 offensive boards. What do you mean he didn’t get them? Plus it was against a 10 year vet in Jonas. 

I agree with putting both Okongwu and Knight in the starting lineup, you risk some perimeter offense but you have to gang bang Jonas inside specially without Capela.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Grizz also on a second of a b2b and traveled, while Hawks did not, so I don't view that as a relevant factor. But yea, with Cap it's not a huge deal but he has missed many, many games the last coupple of years and seems to have something going on there with his heel that could end up being chronic. If we want to win this core we need a very, very solid plan B we can plug in and at least hold the fort to some degree. I though drafting Okonguw was Capela insurance, but it's crystal clear to me his future is at PF and not at C. While it was nice to get Lou for Rondo I kinda wish we could have gotten a Zubac caliber player inside instead, since it's a much bigger need considering Cap's ongoing nagging issues. 

True, Lou is a nice punch off the bench but a serviceable backup center would have been really nice.  I hope eventually OO gets to a place where he can play 5 well enough to cover but that's likely a long ways away.  I didn't realize Memphis was on a b2b as well -- that's a bummer.  We really just need to get healthy across the board.  Can't complain much right now as we had a nice 4 win streak before this loss.

12 hours ago, MarylandHawk said:

This game was great for OO17. We need to see if he can secure that back center spot before the playoffs start. He took the next step in his progression. 

Ya I think he can and will. People keep talking about him being undersized but his motor and strength will always make up for that, specially in the new smaller NBA minus the likes of one freak Jonas Val. 😆 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Nah, there were some momentum plays where play wanted to go at Grayson instead of play team ball and played right into the Grizz hands. SWING THE BALL SON! 

He wasn't trying to go at Grayson.  He was simply trying to make a play, period.  Those plays you speak of happened when the game was slipping away when he, Bogi, and Huerter couldn't buy a shot, and the team couldn't get any stops on the other end.

Remember, the starting lineup was Trae - Bogi - Huerter - Solo - Okongwu.  Who is he going to swing the ball to if the 2 wings are also missing shots?  Solo?   He was bricking shots too.

Nate missed a golden opportunity to play Knight with Okongwu, simply to put another big on the floor that could screen for Trae, Bogi, and Huerter.   Solo at the 4 keeps this team so out of balance, it's not even funny.  

I know you hate it, but Trae sometimes has to look for his own offense, in order to keep this team in the game. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

He’s 20 years old in his first career start with 6 offensive boards. What do you mean he didn’t get them? Plus it was against a 10 year vet in Jonas. 

I agree with putting both Okongwu and Knight in the starting lineup, you risk some perimeter offense but you have to gang bang Jonas inside specially without Capela.

Through the first 3 quarters he only had 3 rebounds total, because he had no help.  He grabbed 8 rebounds in the 4th quarter ( 4 offensive ). 

I'm not faulting Okongwu at all for his lack of rebounding when the game was still in doubt. He just needed help banging on the boards.  If the team is missing jump shots, we need offensive rebounds to create 2nd chance points.  Playing Solo and Snell at PF isn't going to make that happen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I know you hate it,

No I love it. Trae needs to pick us up when we can’t do it collectively as a team, I agree that’s what superstars should do. No hate here at all. I love it when Trae dominates.