• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

McMillan needs the Hawks as much as the Hawks need him

MarylandHawk

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, kg01 said:

I hope he comes across more 'committed' in his talks with McMillan.

If I'm McMillan, that 'we'll evaluate at the end of the season' stuff could get old quick.  

I'm guessing that was the discussiin when McMillan agreed to take over. I'm sure McMillan will have suitors, so as much as TS is saying 'evaluate at end of season, Nate is probably doing his own evaluation as well.

38 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm guessing that was the discussiin when McMillan agreed to take over. I'm sure McMillan will have suitors, so as much as TS is saying 'evaluate at end of season, Nate is probably doing his own evaluation as well.

I know you're not wrong on that.  However, what jobs are likely to be open that would be more promising?  Not being a homer, just taking a glance at likely openings:

BOS - Maybe they just choose to part ways?  Wouldn't be a total shock.

WAS - Perhaps but I know their star likes Brooks.  Oh you thought Beal was their 'star'?  😆

CLE - Do they even have a coach?

ORL - I could see them parting ways, Clifford's too good to wait on their tank-build

DET - Same as ORL, will a vet coach want to wade through those waters?

DAL - Wait'll Carlisle sneezes at Louka wrong.

POR - This one's interesting, I guess.

SAC - Who're we kidding?

Of all those, I can see maybe 2-3 that could be in as good or better position than us:

WAS - Healthy Westbrook is scary good.  I wish I remembered the name of the guy that told me John Wall would be better *cough* @NBASupes *cough*

POR - Would they go with McMillan again after all these years?  Doubtful

BOS - Can he get ol' joyless Tatum to re-engage?

So, long story long, what better options are there for him really?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I know you're not wrong on that.  However, what jobs are likely to be open that would be more promising?  Not being a homer, just taking a glance at likely openings:

WAS - Perhaps but I know their star likes Brooks.  Oh you thought Beal was their 'star'?  😆

ORL - I could see them parting ways, Clifford's too good to wait on their tank-build

SAC - Who're we kidding?

Of all those, I can see maybe 2-3 that could be in as good or better position than us:

WAS - Healthy Westbrook is scary good.  I wish I remembered the name of the guy that told me John Wall would be better *cough* @NBASupes *cough*

All true, but people don't always do what's best for themselves, they sometimes outsmart themselves :hehe:.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, EazyRoc said:

Is it unreasonable for Nate to get some CotY consideration?

Voters are too busy falling all over themselves to vote for Thibo .. Thiba .. Thibs.

I still find it funny that the Nix had to go on an absolutely historic run ... just to catch us by a half game.  But they get all the pub while we go nothing.  Ah well, we'll see how they fare on this little road trip they're on.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kg01 said:

SAC - Who're we kidding?

The most devastating possibility is Milwaukee.  They steal our coach again?!  What if Coach Bud loses in the playoffs to Atlanta in round 1 and then Giannis demands a coaching change?  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

The most devastating possibility is Milwaukee.  They steal our coach again?!  What if Coach Bud loses in the playoffs to Atlanta in round 1 and then Giannis demands a coaching change?  

Then we hire Bud again, trade for Horford, and talk Marvin, Joe Johnson, and Josh Smith out of retirement!!  🤣

The thing about coaching is that is has to be a two way street. Coaches and organizations have to want each other. It's nice to assume a guy will accept a promotion from within, but that's not a guarantee.

It's the same as if you applied for a job you really wanted and got the position versus working at a new place for 3 months, havent even decided if you would move closer to that side of town yet, and they promote you out of necessity of having fired your boss and friend who gave you the job. That shit is hella stressful if its ever happened to you and that's without the pressure of millions of people tracking your every move.

Nate did not come to Atlanta with the goal of coaching the Hawks. He came here to stay involved with coaching while laying low for a year and seeing what opportunities would open up later that he would apply for. This was not his plan. He may decide its the best move for him and stay long term, but that's as much his choice to weigh out as it is Schlenk's.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

The thing about coaching is that is has to be a two way street. Coaches and organizations have to want each other. It's nice to assume a guy will accept a promotion from within, but that's not a guarantee.

It's the same as if you applied for a job you really wanted and got the position versus working at a new place for 3 months, havent even decided if you would move closer to that side of town yet, and they promote you out of necessity of having fired your boss and friend who gave you the job. That shit is hella stressful if its ever happened to you and that's without the pressure of millions of people tracking your every move.

Nate did not come to Atlanta with the goal of coaching the Hawks. He came here to stay involved with coaching while laying low for a year and seeing what opportunities would open up later that he would apply for. This was not his plan. He may decide its the best move for him and stay long term, but that's as much his choice to weigh out as it is Schlenk's.

I sure hope we convince him to stay 🤣

• Like 2

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

That’s a great way to put it. That’s why I believe it is crucial that we make some noise in the playoffs. If we advanced to the second round, that will give Nate confidence in this team and will go along way with him deciding to come back. He will also have his pick of the litter from the rest coaching vacancies in the NBA. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2021 at 5:23 PM, LongTimeFan said:

Then we hire Bud again, trade for Horford, and talk Marvin, Joe Johnson, and Josh Smith out of retirement!!  🤣

You did say you have a dark side just a couple of days ago.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

He was robbed. Hawks went 7-1 in May.

As I just said over at that other Hawk cite;  Just think.  Whoever voted thought that it was much harder for Tibs to go 6-3 with his NY team than it was for Nate to go 7-1 with the Hawks..

I'm sure they didn't see this like I do.  This is my idea and I'm sticking to it!

😜

On 5/4/2021 at 5:37 PM, RedDawg#8 said:

This is a great analogy, but my only comment would be that Nate would have to have his head plugged deep into the sand to not consider this a viable possibility when he took the assistant job.  Everyone in the NBA, including fans, thought he was being brought in to eventually take over for LP.  Even if he dismissed the possibility to start with, the combination of the public playoff decree, free agent spending spree, and Nate's experience in the NBA should have clued him in that a slow start would very likely result in him being approached to be the interim.  

So again, love the analogy and agree that he probably didn't come into Atlanta expecting to be the HC, but I just can't believe he didn't at least consider the possibility of things unfolding exactly as they did prior to taking the job. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

This is a great analogy, but my only comment would be that Nate would have to have his head plugged deep into the sand to not consider this a viable possibility when he took the assistant job.  Everyone in the NBA, including fans, thought he was being brought in to eventually take over for LP.  Even if he dismissed the possibility to start with, the combination of the public playoff decree, free agent spending spree, and Nate's experience in the NBA should have clued him in that a slow start would very likely result in him being approached to be the interim.  

So again, love the analogy and agree that he probably didn't come into Atlanta expecting to be the HC, but I just can't believe he didn't at least consider the possibility of things unfolding exactly as they did prior to taking the job. 

If he didn't see that as a real possibility, it was one of the only mistakes he has made this season.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Among those also receiving votes: Washington's Scott Brooks, Denver's Michael Malone, Atlanta's Nate McMillan, Philadelphia's Doc Rivers, Utah's Quin Snyder and New York's Tom Thibodeau

This is the Coaches selection for COY, not the Sportswriters selection.

• Like 1