• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Highest BBIQ Hawks of all time 🤓

Spud2nique

Smartest on court Hawk ever 🤓   

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just thinking out loud about this. Watching for 35+ years I have a few..

Pistol Pete (before my time but no question)

Doc Rivers Floor general extraordinaire and showed later as he became a successful coach.

Mookie Blaylock- Defensively for certain but even offensively waiting for players to get into right situations rarely forcing unwarranted plays, efficient playmaker.

Toni Kukoc- The waiter, playing with Mike only made him smarter. 

Mike Bibby- Hit guys in their primo spots.

Josh Smith (just kidding... 😆 only kidding Smoove but no, just no.)

Al Horford A center point and rebounded like one too.. 😏 But he just got it.

Trae Young- Best passer and best feel I’ve seen for a Hawks point man. 

Bogi- The feel, the passing, the shooting, the when to do what, I think I’m falling in love with him 🥰 

What do you all think?

@Gray Mule @Buzzard @Thomas @sturt @Atlantaholic and whoever else is most likely older than me, please feel free to add a write in Hawk.

Just missing the cut-

Ty Corbin- He just knew.

• Like 1

Bogi might be right now due to his NBA and International experience. But I chose Trae due to his ability to read defenses on the fly. Its like he looks up and sees all the options in a blink of an eye.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Bogi might be right now due to his NBA and International experience. But I chose Trae due to his ability to read defenses on the fly. Its like he looks up and sees all the options in a blink of an eye.

Agreed, I haven’t voted 🗳 yet but I have :

Pistol 🔫, Trae and Bogi right now. It’s really hard for me to vote for Pistol because I didn’t see him live, but watching his prowess and just how easily the game came to him on film 🎞, it’s hard to ignore.

It’s probably Trae for me too, but Bogi can’t be far behind.

I went from doubting Bogi to wanting to be his #1 fan 😂. Crow eaters delight is what they call it. In my defense, he was injured so he never got into a groove but man, I’m so comfy with him on the court.

• Like 1

Bogi was injured earlier this season.  But, did you know, when he came to Atlanta he was in the process of recovering from Covid-19?  He did not fully recover from this until he had to miss time with his injury.  This means that, only then did we get the real Bogi.

Who is/was the smartest Hawk?  I have no idea.  Some of you may confuse natural athletic ability with basketball IQ and with over all IQ.  My grand kids have this expression: "Dumb as a box of rocks."  Some people can have a very, very high IQ as far as book learning goes but be completely lost when it comes to common sense.

Know how.  Know why.  Do it.  You may know how it works and why it works but can't make it work.  Helpless as a baby calf in a hail storm.  

:smug:

• Like 1

Bause

Bibby

Doc

We had a lot of high BBIQ players but these also had impact. We just had a genius on the roster we traded in Rondo. 

I'll say this is the big three. 

If I had to say someone in particular, it would be Bibby. Bibby is one of the smartest players I've ever seen in the NBA. I would say Rondo from a career stance but for us, not impactful at all.

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

If I could place Bibby BBIQ with Trae Young game, he would be the best player in the NBA 

I don't know if you remember young Bibby, but his IQ was not as high as when he was a vet.   

Trae needs time to mature and learn to make the right play instead of the spectacular play.  He's shown improvement in that area. 

Edited by marco102
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Maravich wouldn't even be on this list for me.  His need to volume score was a detriment to his teams and his career.  I put that down as a negative in the BBIQ category despite his obvious gifts.  To me, BBIQ is about understanding the game and using your knowledge to the maximum positive impact for winning games (not padding stats).  He was always a middle of the pack (on his own team) guy in terms of scoring efficiency but always a league leader in shots.  I think a different approach would have led to him actually winning something in the NBA and even college because the talent sure was there.

If we are going back that far, I'd put his teammate Lou Hudson ahead of him and Petit definitely gets on the list as well.

Horford gets my vote because of his mental approach making the game easier for everyone in every facet of the game - defense, scoring, playmaking, etc. he did it all well.  

Bogi doesn't show up on the list for me due to his limited track record.  He is multidimensional but someone like Joe Johnson and Smitty, etc. gets on well before him.

Grant Long and Kyle Korver are a couple of role players I'd consider for the list given how fundamentally sound they were with the tools they had.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AHF said:

Grant Long

My top 15 Hawk of all time. Loooved Grant Long, always seemed to be a workhorse but didn’t think he should make the cut in the top BBIQ list. Korver probably should make the cut or at least be on the list. Wow, I didn’t know that about Pistol 🔫, like I said I didn’t watch him live but when I see games on tape I see him understanding where everyone should be on the court like a game of chess ♟. But wow, I know about all the records from Lou Hudson and Pettit but didn’t know they were super high BBIQ. Good to know, thanks for the info AHF. I guess with Pistol I may be mistaking passing prowess with BBIQ. 

7 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Rondo. 

2 hours ago, RandomFan said:

Rondo

👯‍♀️ 😂 I agree Rondo is pretty darn smart, hard headed and stubborn but definitely high as heck BBIQ. I just didn’t want to add an x hated Celt 😂 

5 hours ago, AHF said:

Grant Long

He’s going on my workhorse edition of all time durable, rugged hard hat guys along with Kevin Willis and Paul Millsap. I love all three. I still don’t know about putting Grant on the high BBIQ though personally.

10 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

Steve Smith

8 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Joe Johnson

🤔 Definitely Hawk legends but I don’t know about high BBIQ. Smitty though became smarter playing under Pop the last couple years of his career though I’ll give him that. Iso Joe I don’t know 🤷‍♀️ 

10 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

Some of you may confuse natural athletic ability with basketball IQ and with over all IQ.  My grand kids have this expression: "Dumb as a box of rocks."  Some people can have a very, very high IQ as far as book learning goes but be completely lost when it comes to common sense.

Agreed Gramps.