• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Forgotten Hawks of Years Past

AUhawksfan

Is there any former Hawk that you tend to forget even suited up for us?  I know Sheed is the popular choice but the one I always tend to forget is Tom Gugliotta.

Any other surprise Hawks, where you go “oh yeah...he played for us for a little bit”?

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Just went down a list of the top 100 scorers in ATL history, and this was the one name that I wouldn't have remembered, and who at the time... with his brother D!ck... was among the game's most highly regarded...

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/v/vanarto01.html

And btw, I think I have this card in my stash... will have to look...

2021-04-27_20-50-30.png

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

The entire 2011-12 team was a who's who of one year cameos.

TMac, Stackhouse, Pargo, Radmonovic, Dampier, and Willie Green.

That was such a fun team to watch play.

that was rough, especially we tried HARD to get dampier a few years back but thank god he stole all the money from dallas

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Craig Shelton had a double double against the Lakers in what I seem to remember as his only good game for us. The players always said he was a great practice guy mainly at rebounding and D but could not perform in a live game for us for whatever reason. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
11 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Joel Pryzbila.

This was a strong start.  Feel like the perfect answer for this question has to be someone who had a legit NBA career and whose Hawk time is barely a whiff of a memory.  A lot of these I definitely remember for their flash in the pan or for having had legit real roles on teams (TMac, Stack, Twon, Sheed, etc.).  A guy like Flip Murray is super easy to remember for me because he was great for us - he was basically what we hoped Lou Williams was going to be the first time Lou was here.  

11 hours ago, sturt said:

Just went down a list of the top 100 scorers in ATL history, and this was the one name that I wouldn't have remembered, and who at the time... with his brother D!ck... was among the game's most highly regarded...

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/v/vanarto01.html

And btw, I think I have this card in my stash... will have to look...

2021-04-27_20-50-30.png

This is a player that just isn't on my radar at all (like if you asked me whether he played for the Hawks or starred in a 1970's sitcom I'd have no idea which was the case) but definitely gets extra points for the card!

My nomination for the thread is Sidney Moncrief.  5x All-Star who played 72 games on a playoff team for us and I can barely remember he was ever a Hawk.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Final_quest said:

Antoine Walker played on the 13 win team.  What about Esteban Bautista?  He was like a bull.  

I tend to want to forget about Antoine Walker and that annoying shuffle he did on the rare occasion he was hitting shots. 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

This was a strong start.  Feel like the perfect answer for this question has to be someone who had a legit NBA career and whose Hawk time is barely a whiff of a memory.  A lot of these I definitely remember for their flash in the pan or for having had legit real roles on teams (TMac, Stack, Twon, Sheed, etc.).  A guy like Flip Murray is super easy to remember for me because he was great for us - he was basically what we hoped Lou Williams was going to be the first time Lou was here.  

This is a player that just isn't on my radar at all (like if you asked me whether he played for the Hawks or starred in a 1970's sitcom I'd have no idea which was the case) but definitely gets extra points for the card!

My nomination for the thread is Sidney Moncrief.  5x All-Star who played 72 games on a playoff team for us and I can barely remember he was ever a Hawk.

Yep, that’s what I was looking for. The discreet ones that had big careers at some point. I didn’t even know Moncrief ever donned a Hawks uni. Good one. 

That’s why I picked Googs. He had a solid career and I feel like most people forget he was ever on our squad. Kukoc comes to mind too. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, AUhawksfan said:

That’s why I picked Googs. He had a solid career and I feel like most people forget he was ever on our squad. Kukoc comes to mind too. 

Googs and especially Kukoc both were good players for us.  Probably Gugliatta's best play for anyone in years.  Beyond being a good ones for the Hawks specifically, Gugliatta would be a good nomination for a general "All-Stars you forgot played in the NBA" for a general board on somewhere like RealGM.  

• Like 2