• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What's going on in DreamLand?

• Moderators

GettyImages-1155364693-e1566596766414-10

Yep, it's Mike Petersen, as it probably should be. He's been the associate under Coach Nicki since coming on board in 2017. Mike is often drawing up plays at crunch time and is usually the first jumping off the bench at timeouts to greet the players coming off the floor.

That gentleman can legitimately sing the "I've Been Everywhere" song.

Just from 2012 alone, with a link to a name I dropped just yesterday in the Hawks-Blazers gamethread:

https://meangreensports.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/coaches/mike-petersen/51

Head coach Mike Petersen enters his third season in command of the Mean Green women's basketball program. Since being introduced as the seventh coach in North Texas women's basketball history on April 16, 2012, Petersen has changed the perception of NT women's hoops into that of a contender...

Prior to arriving at North Texas, Petersen has been the head coach at Wake Forest since 2004 and is the school's all-time winningest coach. He is a coaching veteran with over 30 years of experience, including three seasons as the head coach at TCU. Petersen guided Wake Forest to unprecedented heights in leading the Demon Deacons to the Postseason in three of the past four seasons and winning 72 games, which is the best stretch in Wake Forest women's basketball history...

He has also been a head coach at Gonzaga (1985-89), New Mexico State (1992-96), and TCU (1996-99). Petersen also spent five seasons with the Minnesota men's basketball team (1999-2004), serving as associate head coach for four seasons. Petersen was involved in every aspect of the Minnesota program, but primarily with individual player development, scheduling, offensive play-calling, opponent scouting and game-planning. He directed an offense that led the Big Ten in scoring and field goal percentage in 2001-02 and was second in scoring offense in 2002-03. Petersen also worked extensively with future NBA lottery pick Joel Przybilla -- who improved his scoring from 6.5 ppg as a freshman to 17.2 ppg as a sophomore.

Petersen spent three years as an assistant coach with the men's program at the University of Oregon prior to his stint at New Mexico State. While with the Ducks, Petersen coached former Minnesota Timberwolves' guard Terrell Brandon, which made him the first college basketball coach to have coached both an NBA player and WNBA player.

~lw3

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

With Nicki's voluntary departure (prompted by Sienko's canning, they were sort of a Budferry package deal... but also a can't-miss chance at a higher-profile gig when Coach Mulkey shockingly left Waco for LSU), the W is down to 4 out of 12 female head coaches. Conferences really don't matter anymore, but Marianne Stanley is the sole female coach in the WNBA East, and her seat is arguably the hottest.

~lw3

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
  • Moderators

The good news is, the players in the altercation were all on the same side. This (I'm told, I didn't bother watching the whole YouTube last night, was too busy washing my hair) was party-goers getting in a tiff with our resident All-Star Courtney Williams, her girlfriend, and Crystal Bradford over the usual ultra-lounge nonsense you find every weekend around the ATL. Thankfully, sans bullets in this case.

The bad news is, girlfriend lady decided it was in their best interest to recap the blow-by-blow on the Internet from their perspective, not realizing the Internet is going to simply parse out all the see-wut-haffened-wuz context and leave just the "Look! Dream Players Out Here Wylin'!" for our edutainment.

If your S.O. isn't the breadwinner and hatching these ideas just to promote her own IG platform, you either need to find a way to mysteriously shut down IG for the afternoon before she can press Record, or go find yourself a more sensible S.O.

Meanwhile, over at Marietta Street Jail,

~lw3

• Like 2

• Moderators

Renee held TMZ back for as long as she could until the team could finish its damage control, but the video's making its rounds now in TMZLand, so the rest of the free world is all caught up now.

I, for one, would really like some Tenders & Things. I just know that food truck is whippin' up somethin' good in there.

~lw3

• Haha 3

Yeesh, just keep goin' ...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/atlanta-dream-owner-renee-montgomery-164450772.html

And you know the players/agent will keep killin' the franchise.

Man this must be what Knick/Kings fans feel like.  Me no like.

And if that video wasn't considered 'conduct detrimental' when they saw it, what TF did the Chennedy lady do?

I should've known something was rank when the coach left out of the blue before the season.  And, best believe, the former owner is reveling in all this dysfunction that started right after she ... loefft.  Jussayin'

Edited by kg01
  • Like 3

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, kg01 said:

what TF did the Chennedy lady do?

I had to refresh my memory....

The Dream suspended second-year guard Chennedy Carter earlier this week after she stayed in the locker room for the second half of the team’s game against the Aces on Sunday, sparking widespread speculation.

Reporting from Spencer Nusbaum published in The Next provides important context into the events leading up to Carter’s early exit from Sunday’s match and the resulting suspension.

According to the report, Dream guard Courtney Williams implored Carter in the first quarter to get more engaged in the game and cheer for her teammates from the bench. An argument ensued between the two teammates, and Carter did not re-enter the game after the opening quarter.

Following the game, Carter approached Williams about playing time and suggested she wanted to fight her teammate, sources told Nusbaum. Williams, who reportedly got into an altercation in 2018 with then-Sun teammate Alex Bentley, made it clear she didn’t want to fight and removed herself from the situation.

While no physical altercation occurred, Atlanta announced on Monday that Carter would be suspended indefinitely for “conduct detrimental to the team.”

Carter’s clash with Williams is part of a broader pattern, Nusbaum reports.

Carter’s negative impact on the locker room could affect her long-term future in Atlanta, but according to Nusbaum, the team is still optimistic that relationships can be mended.

31 minutes ago, kg01 said:

the former owner is reveling in all this dysfunction that started right after she ... loefft.  Jussayin'

I see what you did there....sneaky sneaky.

The Dream gotta fix this mess though.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I had to refresh my memory....

I see what you did there....sneaky sneaky.

The Dream gotta fix this mess though.

Yeah, I can't dream of how they let it get to this point.  Teammates fight, sometimes in front of the world's view.  But to basically shelve her for the year?  Get it together.

• Like 2

• Moderators
21 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Dumb question but is Carter still with the Dream?   

Read into it what you will, but the big sporting goods store at Lenox/Phipps has a Dream jersey on display for sale at the front door, and it's #3. Because, with all due respect to #15, Tiffany Hayes, who else is gonna sell in this town?

It's not a dumb question, as it's hard to tell if even Chennedy knows for sure. Tiffany sent out a since-deleted subtweet in response to Chennedy's subtweet,, something about, "Somewhere where I don't have to deal with a crazy baby...", or somesuch. Worth noting, Hayes is unrestricted for 2022, but she and Renee were teammates at UConn! Fun.

Technically, Carter's locked down under her rookie deal through at least next season (team option in 2023).

It's more a matter of whether the team is still with Carter. And whosoever is running the show beyond ownership and Renee.

Speaking of which, yet another cart-horse situation is in the works.

Congrats, Tanisha! And good luck, because you'll need it!

~lw3

• Thanks 1