• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Can anyone pinpoint why this team is so much better?

MarylandHawk

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, AHF said:

He has been better but other than the shooting % I'm not seeing a world of difference in his per minute numbers:

image.png

Biggest difference seems to be on his 2pt fg%.

I mean that's a HUGE jump in FG%, a 15% jump in assits, and a 40% jump in points per game. So that's a pretty huge difference. 14-10 on 50% shooting from the field is pretty great. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Atlantaholic said:

I mean that's a HUGE jump in FG%, a 15% jump in assits, and a 40% jump in points per game. So that's a pretty huge difference. 14-10 on 50% shooting from the field is pretty great. 

Certainly worth several points a game overall. How many close ones would that help win you know. See what happens post season when it tends to be more his time.

• Moderators

I haven't watched Rondo in LA but i assume he's playing better.  He'd almost have to be.   It wasn't about bad stats here it was about him being a net negative on the court because he wasn't effectively running the offense or contributing much on D.    I still contend that he's not a guy for a young team but i know folks disagree with that. 

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

He has been better but it's just not that huge other than the fg%, imo and I don't see the fg% as reflecting effort.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

I haven't watched Rondo in LA but i assume he's playing better.  He'd almost have to be.   It wasn't about bad stats here it was about him being a net negative on the court because he wasn't effectively running the offense or contributing much on D.    I still contend that he's not a guy for a young team but i know folks disagree with that. 

I don't know, maybe he was just another victim of LP coaching like ass. But whatever the case may be he has been much, much better in LA.

• Moderators
Just now, Atlantaholic said:

I don't know, maybe he was just another victim of LP coaching like ass. But whatever the case may be he has been much, much better in LA.

It's a great point because he was much better in the few games with Nate.   doesn't mean i have to like him. 

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, AHF said:

He has been better but it's just not that huge other than the fg%, imo and I don't see the fg% as reflecting effort.

Going from a .48 TS% to 60% is huge IMO, especially when scoring goes up 40%. On top of that his assists have also gone up. He went from averaging virtually 0 WS per 48 to .158. That's a quantum leap. 

On the flipside Lou has been the opposite. He has been catastrophic since coming to the Hawks with. 

Edited by Atlantaholic
  • Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

Going from a .48 TS% to 60% is huge IMO, especially when scoring goes up 40%. On top of that his assists have also gone up. He went from averaging virtually 0 WS per 48 to .158. That's a quantum leap. 

On the flipside Lou has been the opposite. He has been catastrophic since coming to the Hawks with. 

Why do you think the scoring went up?  Because he made more of the shots he was taking.  He went from 9.9 FGA/36 to 10.3 FGA/36.  

He has also been getting much more consistent playing time there which is not unusual to help someone find a rhythm.  Easier to get in a groove over 20 minutes played than over 12 minutes played.

My issue is not whether he has played better there because he has but rather whether he was dogging it here which I don't think was the case.  He wasn't as effective for us but was it because he didn't care?  Not sure I buy that.

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, AHF said:

He has been better but other than the shooting % I'm not seeing a world of difference in his per minute numbers:

image.png

Biggest difference seems to be on his 2pt fg%.

I don't think it's motivation.   I think that it's easier for him being on a team full of high talent vets than on a team with high talent rooks.   Playing beside those guys in LAC has to give him more open shots...and he's healthier. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
6 hours ago, thecampster said:

Answering the original poster,

https://hoopshype.com/rumor/1501576/

"

With so many capable scorers and shooters on the court (Atlanta is the only team in the NBA with nine players averaging 10 or more points per game), it makes sense that McMillan has worked to incorporate off-ball movement into the offense — and it has paid off. In order to help create more motion away from the ball, the Hawks added more off-ball screens to their offensive system. After ranking 28th in off-ball screens before the coaching change, the team’s back half of the season ranked 11th, according to Second Spectrum. Since March, the team has raised its shooting percentages in virtually every traditional and advanced statistical category.

Yes. I believe this unleashed Bogi’s game.   Also, everyone kind of knew where their shots were coming from which gives them more confidence when shooting. 

• Like 4

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, MarylandHawk said:

Yes. I believe this unleashed Bogi’s game.   Also, everyone kind of knew where their shots were coming from which gives them more confidence when shooting. 

The few extra wrinkles to get Bogi in different spots on the floor made a world of difference. Personally I was a bit bemused why we had him basically just standing in the corner with LP. Terrible coaching. 

• Like 4