• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Wizards at Hawks (Hump Day, 7 PM Tip!)

lethalweapon3

2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Was the shot suspect because Trae took it?  Because Bogi took a similar shot with a man in his face the possession before.  No criticism of him I see.

Those were definitely 2 hero ball type shots.  But someone has to be the hero.  I'm not mad at either guy for having the guts to pull those 3s early in the shot clock in a 3 point game.

You're not going to get wide open looks all the time in the playoffs. The playoffs are sometimes determined by which star or stars can make difficult shots to bring home the victory for your team.

I think some of you want Trae to pitch a perfect game every time out on the floor, and throw darts his way when he doesn't.

The guy was 1 assist and 2 rebounds away from a triple-double.  And this, after struggling with his shot in the 1st half.  He went for 18 pts - 5 assist in the 2nd half of this game . . after going for 26 pt - 3 asst in the 2nd half of last game.

He honestly kept us in the game with some of his scoring, when that game could've gotten away from us.

I knew the moment he had that tough offensive board and push shot to keep us within 5 it was huge.  It came right after Lou blew a floater leading to a transition lob and -4 point swing.  I don’t think Nate coaches based on the score and it has trickled down to the players.  Just hoop hard and we’ll probably be up after 48.

After just reading your post I have no idea why I thought you were talking about OO (meant to quote @Final_quest)  Trae balled out too tho lol.

Edited by benhillboy

9 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Like I told my best friend. Dunn will likely not play again outside of a spurt or two. This will be a redshirt year for him like it was for Capela last year. He will learn the system and play next year. 

Snell missed about 10 games and moved back into the rotation like nothing happened. Hunter did as well with minute restrictions. 

Thumbs down to that. Why sign a guy with a major injury and then not even play him?. The Hawks are probably hoping he doesn't pick up his second year option so they can sign someone else. The Dunn signing was a bust, period. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bleachkit said:

Thumbs down to that. Why sign a guy with a major injury and then not even play him?. The Hawks are probably hoping he doesn't pick up his second year option so they can sign someone else. The Dunn signing was a bust, period. 

I’m super disappointed too.  Who was the last reigning All-Defensive player we’ve had?  Deke?!

• Moderators
1 minute ago, bleachkit said:

The extent of the injury wasn't clear.  Knee injury became ankle injury (and surgery i think).   There were these same complaints about Capela and then Okongwu when they were recovering.   We signed all these guys to be prepared for major injuries and covid issues.   doesn't mean dunn won't ball out for us when he gets the chance.   I mean we're doing pretty well without him. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

...doesn't mean dunn won't ball out for us when he gets the chance.   I mean we're doing pretty well without him. 

Small sample but he was 1-12, ouch.  His shooting touch saddens me it’s such a struggle.  Three ball, FT, lay up, everything.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He made his three when we needed it the most. 

Daniel was clearly gassed but it was like when LP didn't put back Capela in saying he is gassed. He wasn't gassed that late into the game. Just admit you liked what you had on the court and you felt they just needed to make shots.

Based on reading Zard fans comments, Brooks' use of Gafford has raised eyebrows in a negative way.  The guy's played well for them.  Makes the Bulls acquisition of Vucevic look even more perplexing.

14 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

You're suggesting they had a crystal ball to know how the injury(ies) would play out.  They're navigating it as best as can be expected although it's clearly not the ideal scenario.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

The extent of the injury wasn't clear.  Knee injury became ankle injury (and surgery i think).   There were these same complaints about Capela and then Okongwu when they were recovering.   We signed all these guys to be prepared for major injuries and covid issues.   doesn't mean dunn won't ball out for us when he gets the chance.   I mean we're doing pretty well without him. 

Ok, but we aren't redshirting him and giving him time to learn the system. That's complete bull. He's a veteran and he's been here all year. Nate doesn't feel his play is good enough to warrant minutes over Lou, which is unfortunate because Lou has been bad lately. 

3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Based on reading Zard fans comments, Brooks' use of Gafford has raised eyebrows in a negative way.  The guy's played well for them.  Makes the Bulls acquisition of Vucevic look even more perplexing.

You're suggesting they had a crystal ball to know how the injury(ies) would play out.  They're navigating it as best as can be expected although it's clearly not the ideal scenario.

Ok fair enough, I'm just disputing Supes notion that the plan was for this to be a redshirt year. Um no. He's on a 2 year deal, and the second year is a player option. Some signings don't work out, that's just how it goes. 

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Nate doesn't feel his play is good enough to warrant minutes over Lou, which is unfortunate because Lou has been bad lately.

I think you answered your own question.   why are you making the assumption that Dunn would be better?  What's that based on?

7 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Ok fair enough, I'm just disputing Supes notion that the plan was for this to be a redshirt year. Um no. He's on a 2 year deal, and the second year is a player option. Some signings don't work out, that's just how it goes. 

Well I'm not supes so I won't speak for him, but perhaps he was just explaining how it played out, now that the injury is what it is?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I don't think Supes said that was the original plan, but now this late in the season they will sit him out and let him learn. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

It will be interesting to see how Dunn and his agent perceive this situation, and ultimately, whether this is just a temporary thing where McM is concerned and next season he would get on the floor, or it's to be assumed that McM still would relegate him to mop-up minutes. That perception will drive the decision on his player option.

(That, of course, assumes McM will be back as the permanent guy, and assumes that there isn't another team out there willing to offer the same or more money... both of which seem highly probable.)

I'm a broken record on this, me. I just think a player who is ubiquitously considered one of the league's elite defenders has to be viewed in the same light as one who is ubiquitously considered one of the league's elite offensive threats--and that anything at all that you get from either of those guys on the other end of the court is just gravy.

In other words, for the same reason you'd be playing Trae Young right now if he'd had an ankle and knee injury to overcome this season but now was considered 100%... you really ought to be playing Kris Dunn.

Both are capable of affecting a game in a big way--Trae for the points he can score, Kris for the points he can keep the primary offensive wing weapon on the other team from scoring.

I said previously, no one has called me yet to ask me to coach even a high school team, and so I have to keep some humility about me and recognize that Nate obviously more than knows what he's doing. But I'm allowed to make observations, and whereas rocket science is an area where I have very little exposure, basketball is one where I have as much as probably most anyone else in Hawk fandom... and to me, it just forces a person to consider if the head coach might be just a bit too stubborn/head strong, when the other team has a Westbrook who is fundamental to their success, and he has a well-established neutralizer on the bench that he just... won't... even... give a chance to even see if he could be effective.

And I do wish, at least, the Hawks media would press him on it. Because this is going to happen again at some point in the remaining games we have, and against competition that is stronger than the Wizards.

And I'd like to hear a fuller explanation now, after we've won a couple that we won by the closest of margins... instead of later, when we may have lost, and when it might seem more prickly to ask and less likely to get that fuller explanation.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I don't think Supes said that was the original plan, but now this late in the season they will sit him out and let him learn. 

Did Lou need time to learn? Dunn is a veteran, not a rookie. The signing was a bust, it happens. 

Nice game. They had me sweating but a win is a win. Trae, our superstar almost messed around and had a Russdouble. 

Collins with a cluuuuutch corner 3, I honestly was worried when he shot that. It played as a miss in my mind, thank god I was wrong. Clint was perfect from the floor, what a center! Love him he’s playing more inspired than I would have ever dreamed. Just happy to be out of Houston I guess.

Won me $50 too 😊

2 more, finish strong 💪🏾 young Hawks!!!

GO HAWKS!

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

It's way too early to say his signing didn't workout as he will likely opt-in next year. 

1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

He hasn't been healthy the entire year. He has no rhythm with the rotation, his defense isn't quite there yet and his shooting was horrendous. He played 42 mins and his WAR is a -0.4. He has been less effective than even Goodwin for us. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Did Lou need time to learn? Dunn is a veteran, not a rookie. The signing was a bust, it happens. 

Lou wasn't injured all season. Like I just don't get how you call a signing a bust.  They signed him and knew he was injured and signed him at a discount.  Now they are like sit out we will use you next year.  I don't understand how a two year contract is called a bust when the market for Chris Dunn was about $10 million a year.  You don't call a transaction a bust that's not complete.  Was Clint Capela a bust because he didn't play last year and started off slow this year?  

If Dunn continues not to play next year, then for sure you can make that accusation.  Hell, Travis could trade him next year or something and get a first rounder for him.  I just don't like the term bust for transactions that aren't complete. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

It's way too early to say his signing didn't workout as he will likely opt-in next year. 

He hasn't been healthy the entire year. He has no rhythm with the rotation, his defense isn't quite there yet and his shooting was horrendous. He played 42 mins and his WAR is a -0.4. He has been less effective than even Goodwin for us. 

Thus, the signing was a bust. I highly doubt he picks up his option. He's going to try to go somewhere he will get minutes. Hawks probably have their eye on a free agent back up anyway.