• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dispelling the juggernaut myth.

thecampster

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, AHF said:

This does give us a lower floor for sure but we see some young teams excel.  After their string of high lottery picks, Oklahoma made it to the WCF with their top 5 in minutes being 21, 21, 22, 22 and 24.  Now I'm sure their prior year's playoff experience was helpful but we are older / more experienced on a minutes weighted basis.  

Yes, I think experience is overrated to an extent. Don't get me wrong it CAN be a factor, but it's not always the case. I remember the young Hawks with Joe Johnson, Childress and Smoove played well over their heads and had the eventual championship Celts on the ropes despite being one of the biggest underdogs in playoff history.  Sometimes the excitement of your first playoff experience can be inspirational and an incredible boost and make up for that lack of experience, especially when you are the underdog and the preassure is really on the other team. Personally I will be fascinated to see how Trae handles his first playoff experience... he has been such an emotional player at times I could really see it going either way. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

Earn experience and make any opponent pay for giving us little respect.  As usual, it's us against the world.

Same as it ever was...same as it ever was...

• Like 2

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

I remember the young Hawks with Joe Johnson, Childress and Smoove played well over their heads and had the eventual championship Celts on the ropes despite being one of the biggest underdogs in playoff history. 

On 5/14/2021 at 1:39 PM, sturt said:

The only way I see that script flipping is if the NBA and its playoff franchise locations' municipalities embrace what we just learned from the CDC yesterday, and accordingly, allow big crowds into the arenas from the git-go.

If our guys are to, in effect, skip a grade in this NBA playoff school... they're going to need to ride an emotional wave as has rarely been seen in the city of Atlanta.

To no one in particular... two ways of saying the same thing, right? I believe so, just recalling the crowds that showed up. We won that series on the basis of as strong an emotional wave as any that any ATL roster ever experienced. The crowds proved to be enough to push us over the top, imo.

Wait. What's that?

We didn't win it? I coulda swore we did.

Well, then, maybe we need just a little more than we had then. A little more talent, or a little more emotion, or a little more referee love, or a little more pure luck, or... yeah... a little lesser competition. All plausible, none taken for granted.

Eeyore over and out.

On 5/14/2021 at 2:39 PM, sturt said:

I'm wearing it.

Call me Eeyore.

Mods, let them all call me Eeyore, with no penalty.

Eeyore_3-300x225.jpg

I'm a 2020-21 playoff pessimist.

I see a team that does perceive itself mentally--though they'll deny it in words--as having achieved their goal for the year. Trae's "we're not done" following the WAS win, for example, was not especially convincing. At all. To me, anyhow. It was the obligatory thing to say, and it was an after thought. I'm inclined to believe that's not a one-off, but rather a sense that permeates the locker room.

I see a team composed of individual players who, far more typically than not, don't know what they don't know, and until they know it, they won't be able to advance... don't know the playoff grind, haven't experienced first-hand the different refereeing style of the post-season, and just do not have the maturity that most successful teams have. Still in development.

I see a team led by a coach that is experienced and hungry, but who himself is also fighting some residual demons from his previous coaching stops. He certainly is one of the NBA's best, though one is right to wonder if his philosophies are congruent with this weird circumstance where he has so so so much more depth than he's likely ever had on any playoff roster... and thus, even putting aside those residual demons, it's a valid question whether he'll maximize the ammunition he has at his disposal.

(And repeating myself... none of that bothers me... it's preseason 2021-22.)

The only way I see that script flipping is if the NBA and its playoff franchise locations' municipalities embrace what we just learned from the CDC yesterday, and accordingly, allow big crowds into the arenas from the git-go.

If our guys are to, in effect, skip a grade in this NBA playoff school... they're going to need to ride an emotional wave as has rarely been seen in the city of Atlanta.

Playoff experience...I’ve been preaching this on the board too. It’s a real thing ! So I’m not getting too caught up yet especially if we play the Heat.

I rather the Knicks cause they too lack the playoff experience among their youth so it’s possible we can move past rd 1

Regardless of who, when and where, until he and his team are defeated in a series, we all must look for King James and his merry men.

They may not be favored but, still, in the back of our mind, we say, I wonder - - could he lead them thru all this?  After all, he is very experienced and he has done this so many times....

:search:

• Sad 1

• Premium Member

I'm wearing it. Call me Eeyore. Mods, let them all call me Eeyore, with no penalty. I'm a 2020-21 playoff pessimist.

I see a team that does perceive itself mentally--though they'll deny it in words--as having achieved their goal for the year. Trae's "we're not done" following the WAS win, for example, was not especially convincing. At all. To me, anyhow. It was the obligatory thing to say, and it was an after thought. I'm inclined to believe that's not a one-off, but rather a sense that permeates the locker room.

I see a team composed of individual players who, far more typically than not, don't know what they don't know, and until they know it, they won't be able to advance... don't know the playoff grind, haven't experienced first-hand the different refereeing style of the post-season, and just do not have the maturity that most successful teams have. Still in development.

I see a team led by a coach that is experienced and hungry, but who himself is also fighting some residual demons from his previous coaching stops. He certainly is one of the NBA's best, though one is right to wonder if his philosophies are congruent with this weird circumstance where he has so so so much more depth than he's likely ever had on any playoff roster... and thus, even putting aside those residual demons, it's a valid question whether he'll maximize the ammunition he has at his disposal.

(And repeating myself... none of that bothers me... it's preseason 2021-22.)

Eeyore here... am I the only one who reads "I'm trying to act like I haven't done anything yet," and perceives some probably unintentional transparency in those words?

That's a statement wrapped inside a question, fwiw.

On 5/16/2021 at 8:57 AM, Gray Mule said:

Regardless of who, when and where, until he and his team are defeated in a series, we all must look for King James and his merry men.

They may not be favored but, still, in the back of our mind, we say, I wonder - - could he lead them thru all this?  After all, he is very experienced and he has done this so many times....

:search:

LeBron is back with a vengance and the combo of a somewhat healthy AD and actually a real point guard in Dennis this particular year it seems quite possible. James doesn't have to handle the rock for forty minutes these days though he still might per usual. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Maybe we should make a poll but does anyone here think that the ECF  WON'T be Philly/Nets?    I don't.  

West is also setup to be LA/LA.   That one is less certain but if Playoff-P's the bed then I could see Utah.  

I don’t think anyone has viewed any team this season as a juggernaut although Utah’s +9.2 point differential would say so.  There are always questions about Gobert on the offensive end and Mitchell’s injury did nothing to appease those who still don’t know what to make of him yet.  Granted he has become a plus rating player after 3 seasons of being negative so we shall see if he’s able to come back and in form when he’s evaluated in a week.

Miami is still my team to beat.  I just don’t see any weaknesses outside of frontcourt size.  Any combination of Dragic/ Butler/ Herro/ Robinson/ Nunn/ Bam will give you excellent 3-level scoring.  Any combination of Butler/ Iggy/ Ariza/ Bam is gonna give you stretches of shut down D.

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

I don’t think anyone has viewed any team this season as a juggernaut although Utah’s +9.2 point differential would say so.  There are always questions about Gobert on the offensive end and Mitchell’s injury did nothing to appease those who still don’t know what to make of him yet.  Granted he has become a plus rating player after 3 seasons of being negative so we shall see if he’s able to come back and in form when he’s evaluated in a week.

Miami is still my team to beat.  I just don’t see any weaknesses outside of frontcourt size.  Any combination of Dragic/ Butler/ Herro/ Robinson/ Nunn/ Bam will give you excellent 3-level scoring.  Any combination of Butler/ Iggy/ Ariza/ Bam is gonna give you stretches of shut down D.

I get frustrated with teams like the Hawks getting short changed because of previous Hawk's failings when we have a whole new team.   But I think some of the concern on Utah is based on these same players not getting it done before.  But they are all still pretty young and they certainly have gelled this year.

You obviously watch more Miami than me but I guess my uneducated criticism would be that Dragic seems a step slower this year and Herro/Robinson seem like they've underperformed maybe?    Also, not sure i want to depend on Iggy and Ariza at this stage of their careers but i do like those guys. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sturt said:

After what happened to the Yankees I wonder if they change their tune. 8 vaccinated personal tested positive. They had Johnson and Johnson fyi, the least effective of the vaccines, but the CDC is already investigating what happened up there. 
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/05/16/us/yankees-covid-tests-positive-trnd/index.html

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 5/15/2021 at 2:26 PM, sturt said:

R4effa37e88aeef75faa7230bb556f268?rik=5p

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
On 5/14/2021 at 9:30 AM, Final_quest said:

Well, none of the superstars in the East have shown they can get it done without Lebron or Steph Curry as teammates.  Who do you see as the team in the East that fits your description?  The Nets seem like they have the most star power, but we've seen a lot of paper champions fold in the playoffs.  

It's going to be hard to deny a Philly Dynasty in the East.   They have two superstar players at the right positions.   They have good support players like Harris, Curry, and even Milton.    They will be a hard out for any time because they have their coach now.   Doc has these guys playing up to their potential. 

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Diesel said:

It's going to be hard to deny a Philly Dynasty in the East.   They have two superstar players at the right positions.   They have good support players like Harris, Curry, and even Milton.    They will be a hard out for any time because they have their coach now.   Doc has these guys playing up to their potential. 

I think the injury bug is going to prevent that from happening.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Jdawgflow said:

I think the injury bug is going to prevent that from happening.

Simmons is a superstar in reputation only, not in production and in impact. Embiid a bonafide star, but Simmons is not the right "Robin" for a championship team. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Simmons is a superstar in reputation only, not in production and in impact. Embiid a bonafide star, but Simmons is not the right "Robin" for a championship team. 

They have surrounded Simmons and Embiid with shooters.  Curry, Milton, and even Green are there for one purpose... to shoot threes so that Simmons don't have to.   Other than that, Simmons is a huge matchup problem and his defense is really good.   He might not be the triple double machine that he was proposed to be coming out of college, but the things he does makes him a legit Robin. 

Us becoming a dynasty relies solely on the development of Trae.  I think Nate is right for him.  IN a short time, we have seen Nate change Trae for the better. Our weakness is physicality.  But our strength is diversity.  I wish Trae could learn from CP3.... he has to be the ringmaster of this outfit. 

• Like 1