• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Raise That Banner! 2020-21 Dirty South Division CHAMPS

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

Preseason Odds! Hope somebody got paid!

(Fan Duel, December 18)

Southeast Division Odds and Win Totals

Team Odds To Win Division Odds To Win Conference Championship Odds To Win NBA Championship Win Total
Miami Heat -300 +600 +1600 43.5
Washington Wizards +950 +6500 +10000 33.5
Atlanta Hawks +600 +5500 +10000 34.5
Orlando Magic +1200 +6500 +12000 30.5
Charlotte Hornets +3000 +10000 +16000 26.5

https://www.sportsbettingdime.com/news/nba/2020-nba-southeast-division-predictions-odds-win-totals/

~lw3

• Like 2

• Moderators

A half-dozen years ago, when our Hawks raised the division banner, we all felt a bit distracted by goings-on in Gotham, too. Where were the Fashion Police for poor Pero and those skinny jeans? smh.

~lw3

• Haha 4

On 5/16/2021 at 2:40 AM, NBASupes said:

The Hawks under Nate and the Hawks under LP are not the same team. 

This will be a documented footnote to our season in the future.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

TEAM AWARDS:

MVP: Trae Young

Maybe he still holds onto the ball a little too much, and maybe his defensive shortcomings make him a target on most nights. But Trae Young is the guy who makes the Atlanta Hawks' offense go. He's a high-usage playmaker who stretches the defense with deep range and tilts every defender on the floor in his direction, making everything easier for teammates.

Young's on-court impact on his team's offensive rating is in the 99th percentile, he's made more free throws than any player in the league, and he's one of two players (Luka Doncic is the other) with at least 100 made triples and 500 assists in 2020-21.

DPOY: Clint Capela

Most catch-all metrics reward work on the defensive glass, but Clint Capela's league-leading rebound rate on both ends is just one reason he has amassed more RAPTOR Wins Above Replacement than Young and all but 10 other players in the entire league.

Capela is Atlanta's mistake-eraser at the rim, and he's developed such refinement as a pick-and-roll defender that he can ably navigate being the only defender in front of both a ball-handling point guard and lob-hunting big man. His timing and instincts make him one of the single best interior forces in the league.

Atlanta's defensive rating resides in the bottom third of the league overall, but it performs like a top-five outfit with Capela on the floor.

Best New Addition: Nate McMillan

Nate McMillan slid over to the big chair after Lloyd Pierce's ouster in early March. Atlanta was 14-20 at the time of the change, and while injuries were a key reason for the team's disappointing performance to that point, its improvement under McMillan wasn't just about the roster getting healthier. Something clicked under his leadership, and the Hawks went from 11th in the East to a no-doubt playoff entrant.

Rising Star Award: De'Andre Hunter

De'Andre Hunter's first 13 games of the season were a revelation. He averaged 16.7 points, 6.2 rebounds and 1.9 assists on a 50.3/40.0/86.5 shooting split while playing shutdown wing defense and flashing on-ball skills that weren't present during his rookie year.

However, knee troubles limited Hunter to only two games between Feb. 1 and May 10, stalling what looked like a true breakout effort.

Atlanta's gains this year were significant. If Hunter can pick up next year where he left off in 2020-21, the Hawks could take an even bigger step forward.

Handing Out Awards for Every NBA Team This Season | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The fact they couldn't just compliment him is the problem. I bet if you read Lukas article you won't read about him holding the ball too long or his defense. Just that he is the greatest thing since slice bread.

MVP: Luka Doncic

No suspense or intrigue here, as Luka Doncic takes the Dallas Mavericks team MVP award in a trend that should continue for another dozen years or so.

Doncic tops Dallas in total points, assists, rebounds and steals. He runs the entire show on offense, and though Dallas didn't reach the same scoring efficiency heights it did a year ago, it still mustered a top-10 showing. Lest there be any question about Doncic's impact on the Mavs' offensive performance, their offensive rating is nearly 10 points per 100 possessions better with him on the floor. His impact on that end remains the largest on the team and ranks in the 93rd percentile leaguewide.  

Yup, Trae is about the only one they led with the negatives. Tatum doesn't mention his terrible shot selection or inability to playmaker at a high level.

Edited by marco102
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Before and After LP and with Bogi.  I would like to see the defensive numbers as well.

Thanks. I just listened to Bill Simmons semi compliment us by saying our scoring should absolutely scare the Knicks, but that we dont play any defense. I was wondering where we finally landed defensively and where people get this idea from.

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Thanks. I just listened to Bill Simmons semi compliment us by saying our scoring should absolutely scare the Knicks, but that we dont play any defense. I was wondering where we finally landed defensively and where people get this idea from.

Narratives.

And I'm not saying we are world beaters but we have improved our defense from last season and we have also improved the 2nd half of the season (under Nate) and we have also improved in 4th quarters.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I read somewhere or maybe informed by @NBASupes that the Hawks have top ten defensive rating under Nate. 

The National folks look at that final ratings and just think the Hawks are all offense. They have won a lot of games with mediocre defense but they CAN defend when they need to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Huh?   You realize we have the exact same record right?   41-31.

And since Nate took over we have the best record in the east.  Post all star they are 22-13 and we're 25-11.

They also beat us three times. The key to what I am saying is right now.  That’s why they have the 4 seed which is a home court advantage. I believe we have more upside in the playoffs because we have Nate and our team healthy, but we have to prove it. I will be happy when we do. 

• Like 1