• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Knicks Rd1 - Playoffs Series 2021

JTB

THENORTHCYDERISES:  Your man really came awake last night!  Great game, Bruno!

NY won all three season meetings.  We all know this.  Then, we list all the reasons that this happened.  and we know that all these reasons are true.  But, still, the opening statement keeps ringing in our ears.

Hawks wants to win the opening series.  Julius Randle may or may not be a great all star.  But, when he faced the Hawks this season, he qualifies.  He's the main reason that they won all three games.  Also, NY has those big, inside defenders.  Makes it hard to drive inside and score.

To win, our three point shooters need to go off on a regular basis.  We need our defense to step up and do their thing.  But, the one thing no one is mentioning and I believe will be a big key is this.  John Collins has became a deadly mid range shot.  Not from downtown.  Not at the rim.  Like money in the bank.  Nothing but net, shot after shot.  Late in the game.  NY has the rim defended.  They cover the outside.  Collins is there, to bury shot after shot.  To shut this down NY must open up something else.  

Watched the 2nd half of the NY - Boston game.  Hated myself for rooting for the Celtics.  They were so far behind.  Yet, the bench players hit NY hard and made them play very hard to pull the game out.  Would have been so sweet if Boston had won.  ESPN covered the game and their heroes came thru when NY won.  They said the Hawks and NY would be a great match up but remember, NY swept the regular season games and how great it is that NY has the home field edge.  Gee....

:smug:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, AUhawksfan said:

I think Bogi is going to be an X factor for me. His game seems to be well suited for the playoffs and I have high hopes for him to perform well. 

Yeah, he plays with such poise it is like he has been successful in the NBA ten years or more. Silky smooth player.

• Like 3

Believe it is gonna be fun and interesting to see how 00 plays in this physical sound. Think he is ready for both minutes and will impact on both ends now, especially D. Think some of us were worried about his reach when drafted but he has wiped those concerns away from me with his play lately. He is really fun to watch.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Believe it is gonna be fun and interesting to see how 00 plays in this physical sound. Think he is ready for both minutes and will impact on both ends now, especially D. Think some of us were worried about his reach when drafted but he has wiped those concerns away from me with his play lately. He is really fun to watch.  

Him and Noel should be a good battle for OO. I'm interested in seeing how well he does against the physical playoff nature.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
32 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Advanced metrics wise he was the MVP of the team since being inserted in the starting lineup.

• Haha 2

Big question of the day.....Are there any concerns with Trae Young vs the Knicks going into this series?

I ask because Traes numbers vs the Knicks are awful this season. Do you think he may get overlooked? By the numbers Thibbs drew up a defense that shut him down.

what do you think ? @JayBirdHawk @NBASupes @AHF @kg01 @Spud2nique @REHawksFan @Thomas @TheNorthCydeRises @marco102 @turnermx @Dejay @lethalweapon3 & anyone else I may have forgotten.

3 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

If i hear one of these announcers say 'the nba is better when the knicks are good' during our series i'm going to absolutely lose my mind.   

Man tell me about it! Even lebron tweeted that...it’s disgusting 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

If i hear one of these announcers say 'the nba is better when the knicks are good' during our series i'm going to absolutely lose my mind.   

Oh, it's happening and you know it.  Curious though.  Would that talking head be suggesting the NBA has sucked for 3 decades then?

• Like 4

• Premium Member

The Knicks have been playing about as well as you can possibly hope for throughout the regular season.  I feel like they have been playing at their ceiling and been locked in on defense hardcore all year.  Their offense is NOT good despite Randle putting up big volume numbers throughout the year.  He's not that efficient of a scorer even though he is shooting well from 3.  He avoids contact and takes tons of contested midrange jumpers.

I feel like the game will really be won/lost when we have the ball.  Can we find a way to get into the paint and get Trae in rhythm with his floater, get guys open shots on the perimeter, easy buckets underneath for Collins/Capela, etc.  We've struggled scoring against them in the regular season so I am hoping we have some new sets to run and some wrinkles to give them when they inevitably double team Trae.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JTB said:

Big question of the day.....Are there any concerns with Trae Young vs the Knicks going into this series?

I ask because Traes numbers vs the Knicks are awful this season. Do you think he may get overlooked? By the numbers Thibbs drew up a defense that shut him down.

what do you think ?

It should be a legit concern.  The saving grace is that the Hawks have weapons at multiple levels now so if Trae can relinquish control, which he's shown the ability and willingness to do under McMillan, the Hawks should still be fine offensively.

The 3rd game, which is the only one we had under McMillan, showed  some positive signs as the Hawks had taken over the game until Trae went down.  Even afterwards, the rest of the group fought back to force OT.  That didn't happen under the prior regime.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, JTB said:

what do you think ? @JayBirdHawk @NBASupes @AHF @kg01 @Spud2nique @REHawksFan @Thomas @TheNorthCydeRises @marco102 @turnermx @Dejay @lethalweapon3 & anyone else I may have forgotten.

Man tell me about it! Even lebron tweeted that...it’s disgusting 

Yep.  Tibbs did.  Thing is, put a double team on Trae.  Heck, why not a triple team!  Hawks are a 5 man offense.  Double team means someone must cover two Hawks or leave one open.  Now, who should we set free on this Hawk team?  Gee.  I wonder if he can possibly score if he's unguarded?

To me, the real key to this game is simply, can the Hawks stay injury free?  If so, I like our chances.  However, if we lose one or two of our starters, can we hang with NY?  In our last regular season loss, Trae was injured and Collins was on restricted minutes.  Can't have this happen in the playoffs.

:sun:

• Like 1