• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The official NBASupes 2021 NBA Draft thread

NBASupes

I had a month to watch and catch up to the draft. Unusual for me since its year round. 

This year class is extremely strong at the top. It gets weak fast. Not quite as deep as last year or 2019. 

Last year, we had no tier 1 or 2 prospects. We had three tier 3.5 prospects in Toppin, Ball, and Edwards. Toppin is looking underwhelming at this point. Ball and Edwards blossom like a rose and improved like gang busters. Both had extremely high ceilings and both showed why they were top 3 picks.

At tier 4, Wiseman who was my #10 prospect and below Okongwu showed why Okongwu was rated higher than him at 6. Deni was my #4 rated prospect and #5 was Haliburton who has been the 3rd best rookie so far. 

This year, we have 5 tier 1.5 prospects joining Luka, Ayton, Bamba, and AD who were all tier 1.5 and Bagley and Zion were tier 1 for me. Zion living up to this ceiling, Bagley is obviously not. Those five are Cade, Suggs, Green, Kuminga, and Mobley. The reason they aren't tier 1 flat is because I am not certain they are sure fire superstars but they are closer than most. I was for sure with Bagley and Zion. 

As far as tier 2, its raw people fall into this category, you are talking about James Harden, Thabeet, Ty Lawson, Steph Curry. Guys who I felt were surefire all stars. There just aren't that many of them because guys on average come in way too raw as teams bet on potential. We just haven't seen a class in along time with guys on this level. Even Lillard, Conley, and Trae weren't tier 2 prospects for me. Tier 3 is most common. Borderline All Star types. 

This year, Şengün, Mitchell, Jalen.Johnson, Cooper, Giddley, Garuba, Wagner, Josh Christopher, and Marcus Bagley are tier 3.5. No tier 3 flat this year. It's rare we get those. Trae, Mikal, Sexton, SGA, Miles, and JJJ were the last 3 flats. 

Şengün has tremendous all around potential,  could be a top 10 pick. Mitchell, reminds me of Donovan and not just namesake as well. Not quite the scorer or shooter D. Mitchell was. Jalen Johnson, has the talent to be a tier 1.5 guy but his personality and fit has been bad everywhere he's been. 

Cooper has the passing/playmaking with his speed and quickness of an elite PG but his shooting and defense is horrendous. He's been compared to Trae, CP3, and Tony Parker. I compare him to Trae but a non shooting verison. Giddley, he's a blend of both Ball brothers without their higher end athletic ability. A stat. Garuba, he has so much potential, it's crazy. Wagner, Joe Ingles type of player with more playmaking. Josh Christopher, more of a potential play, probably likely to move down to tier 4 as is his teammate, Marcus Bagley. Barnes is last but really first on this list. I forgot about him. He's reminds me of a young Ron Artest. He going to have to grow into being a SF. He's not a natural like last year FSU wing, Patrick Williams. 

Tier 4 which was massive last year is smaller this year. With just 16 tier 4 guys at this early stage which could get smaller or larger, this could be a disappointing 2nd round class compared to last year. A lot of draftable players this year, as many as last year. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hawks likely will have their favorite #19 or #20 overall. 

Its hard to say at this stage who will be there but the Hawks have two potential weaknesses to me: backup PG and potential replacement for Kevin if he leaves or is moved in 2022 as he's an expiring contract during restricted FA. I would hope to extend him this summer for 8-10 mil per if possible. 

Potential Targets are: S. Cooper, Giddley, Butler, Duarte, Wagner, and M. Moody.

My ideal is S. Cooper. Can be 3rd string replacing Goodwin. Lou will likely retire and Dunn will replace him. Cooper can do like Malachi Flynn, play half of the year in the G League and spend the other half in Atlanta backup up Trae with Dunn and him splitting time. Cooper plays our style, he just needs development since we are winning now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

For the first time in a while we are not in the lottery.

Yeah, the reason for that being a real warm and fuzzy for me. We look very good right now and very much at the right time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, h4wkfan said:

No love for Ayo Dosunmu? I’m a fan of his game and fit to replace Lou Will. Seems NBA ready too.

He's not really a PG. He's a good player tho. I want a PG considering we will likely have Dunn as well next year. 

22 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He's not really a PG. He's a good player tho. I want a PG considering we will likely have Dunn as well next year. 

I agree that he’s not a true PG. but I think he could run a team in the same sense that SGA does. I don’t think he will ever be at that level - but I see a quality 6th man + backup PG potential in him. 

9 hours ago, h4wkfan said:

I agree that he’s not a true PG. but I think he could run a team in the same sense that SGA does. I don’t think he will ever be at that level - but I see a quality 6th man + backup PG potential in him. 

SGA is a PG, Ayo is more like a combo guard.

9 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Can you guys post some videos of the prospects you like for the Hawks at #19 and #20? Thanks.

Is there anyone we should move up for by adding the OKC 2022 1st? 

I'll post videos of all of the potential prospects. 

No. 

• Thanks 3

• Premium Member

Me, I think it's obvious that our sweet spot for bringing an NBA championship to ATL is 2021-22 or 2022-23.

But that also means that, if things go as we're hoping, there's going to necessarily be some talent purge in the 2023 off-season, or even assuming Ressler is willing to foot a humongous tax bill, 2024 at the latest.

So, to optimize our assets to help us achieve something special in the near future, this off-season's pick is better delayed since... just in terms of probabilities... at #19 or worse, it's not likely going to deliver anything significant to the 2021-22 effort, and only slightly more likely for the 2022-23 effort.

Right?

"That's well-taken, but that player could be contributing something substantial by the time of that purge you anticipate, and at a time when rookie scale contract talent will be important to have."

But I want to have my cake and eat it, too.... that's my goal... I go into the draft proactively seeking that end... I mean, like who wants cake just to sit and stare at? (... yes, you're on to me, my real name is Jerry and I used to have a fairly popular TV show).

Granted, one cannot just snap their fingers and make what they want appear out of nowhere.

But there is precedent for a team seizing on another team's prizing some draftee so much that they're willing to surrender (1) a current asset plus (2) a future #1 for the opportunity to draft someone they prize. So, I get something that plausibly could help me in the next two years plus I get two first round picks in some future year (ie, the one we have anyhow, plus the other team's).

That's what I want.

The most likely partners in such a scenario are teams that have no 2021 pick at all, so I start there. But every team conceivably holds some potential to dance with us, in consideration of what asset they currently can offer and the conditions (or lack thereof) they're willing to concede on that future #1.

Which teams, then, on the surface, seem like they hold the best potential for such a deal?

Would be very intrigued to read others' speculation/imagination to that question... and it goes w/o saying, all the more intrigued to read soon enough any rumors being overheard that might inform the question somehow, directly or indirectly.

• Like 1

@JayBirdHawk and @NBASupes my two favorites at 19 that address the Hawks' weaknesses (backup point guard/front court with size) are Tre Mann (Combo Guard) and Kai Jones (PF/C with great defense and offensive upside). They both could be late lottery picks or back end of the draft from the mocks I've seen.  

Tre Mann

Kai Jones

Edited by marco102
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2