• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The official NBASupes 2021 NBA Draft thread

NBASupes

1 hour ago, Hawkmoor said:

Even Hollinger over at the Athletic said what I said AFTER the draft that Johnson is insurance for Collins.  Its clear the Hawks want to keep Collins, and should keep Collins.  Travis wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't go out and find a replacement just in case.  Travis is the best GM in basketball.

Hollinger’s team fit: Solid upside swing here by the Hawks, who didn’t necessarily have a glaring need at backup four but took the most talented player available. Johnson is big, athletic and can handle the ball, but some teams had questions about his background and ability to make plays in the halfcourt. Nonetheless, he was one of the few players left with something more than role-player upside, and offers a bit of roster protection if they can’t keep free agent John Collins.

Who you gonna believe?  Me or some rando?

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, sturt said:

2021-07-30_10-58-00.png

All these sports writers thinking we are going to break up our talented roster for nothing is mind blowing. Like sir..you are professional writer. Ain’t no way in hell we let either player just walk. The national media wants us to trade Cam so bad 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

All these sports writers thinking we are going to break up our talented roster for nothing is mind blowing. Like sir..you are professional writer. Ain’t no way in hell we let either player just walk. The national media wants us to trade Cam so bad 😂

I keep telling ya'll that guy's name is Zach Klown.  Stop partaking in his crap.

• Like 3

From Kirschner today: 

Quick notes

The Timberwolves inquired on Danilo Gallinari prior to Minnesota trading Ricky Rubio to Cleveland. The Hawks shot down the Wolves’ offer. Minnesota ended up trading Rubio to Cleveland for former Hawk Taurean Prince.

The Hawks did have conversations with teams to move up inside the top 10 and just outside the top 10, according to Schlenk. Sources told The Athletic that those conversations did include the possibility of moving Cam Reddish. Even though a deal wasn’t reached on draft night, it doesn’t mean a trade can’t happen before the season begins.

Schlenk also noted that with the College Park Skyhawks back in action this year, it is possible that various young guys could end up getting minutes in the G League: “I think as we’ve shifted from more of a development team to more of a competitive team, I think it’s fair to say that all of our young guys may have an opportunity to go down there and get minutes. We’ve had a shift from the past few years where we draft somebody and we would put them on the floor so they get that experience. Well now because of the depth of our roster, I think it’s fair to say that you’ll see the guys we draft moving forward, in order to get them the development and playing time they need that that is going to take place in College Park from time to time.”

I'm glad we turned down the Gallo for Rubio offer. 

9 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

From Kirschner today: 

Quick notes

1) The Timberwolves inquired on Danilo Gallinari prior to Minnesota trading Ricky Rubio to Cleveland. The Hawks shot down the Wolves’ offer. Minnesota ended up trading Rubio to Cleveland for former Hawk Taurean Prince.

2) The Hawks did have conversations with teams to move up inside the top 10 and just outside the top 10, according to Schlenk. Sources told The Athletic that those conversations did include the possibility of moving Cam Reddish. Even though a deal wasn’t reached on draft night, it doesn’t mean a trade can’t happen before the season begins.

1 - the deal I was talking about last week.

2 - the one I commented on last night.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Now here's the crazy skinny(and I'm loving it). What we were offering to move up in the 1st round was a future 1st+20 and/or a future first + the OKC pick (and in both cases various 2nds). We were shut down on both.  The reason, there was no faith the Hawks future 1sts would be any lower than 20 and would probably be bottom 6. Teams wanted no part of our future 1sts as they believed we'd be a top 6 team from here on out.

Respect. I love it, even though we got shut out on trades.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Hawkmoor said:

Even Hollinger over at the Athletic said what I said AFTER the draft that Johnson is insurance for Collins.  Its clear the Hawks want to keep Collins, and should keep Collins.  Travis wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't go out and find a replacement just in case.  Travis is the best GM in basketball.

Hollinger also said that Deandre would be coming off the bench for Kevin at the beginning of last season. These are just his speculations.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Speaking of Hollinger, from his column today: 

Favorite draft: Atlanta

We’ll see if both the Hawks and I are smart, but based on my board, Atlanta had a great night. At picks 20 and 48, the Hawks selected the ninth- and 28th-rated players on my board in Jalen Johnson and Sharife Cooper.

Johnson, the 20th pick, offers unusual upside for a pick in that range as a big, athletic forward who can handle the ball. In retrospect, it’s odd to see that he slipped when teams lunged for more speculative plays with less upside in the teens.

Cooper, meanwhile, could play backup point guard minutes immediately. While he’s a smaller player with a poor outside shot, and that likely prevents him from ever being a starting-caliber player, he’s also an elite shot creator and passer who can run an offense off the bench. For a team that has struggled with backup point guard minutes and is going to need inexpensive bench options once Trae Young’s max contract hits next year, this could end up an inspired selection.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Now here's the crazy skinny(and I'm loving it). What we were offering to move up in the 1st round was a future 1st+20 and/or a future first + the OKC pick (and in both cases various 2nds). We were shut down on both.  The reason, there was no faith the Hawks future 1sts would be any lower than 20 and would probably be bottom 6. Teams wanted no part of our future 1sts as they believed we'd be a top 6 team from here on out.

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47jikqvhifvmi5wvbu5w

• Thanks 1