• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at 76ers -- GAME 1

lethalweapon3

11 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Let's talk about Glenn Rivers.

As a coach, guy owns the longest losing streaks for TWO franchises.

Losing a series where you owned a 3-1 edge is supposed to be rare.  Dude has done it for two different franchises.

Before the sketchy Garnett trade, dude was well on his way to being fired.  Their big3 team won one title then disappointed every other year.  Yet folks speak of them as if they were a dynasty.

I get that his feats of longevity have earned him a stellar reputation and all that but all the eggsperts loved on Thibs too.  How'd it turn out once the spotlight turned on?

All the pressure's residing in Pennsylvania.  Years of purposeful losing culminates in this moment for them.  Take a game off them early and watch what pressure does to that pipe.

That Celtics roster was one of my favorites though. I’m an irrational KG, Ray Allen, and Eddie House guy.  

Thibs did far more to affect that team than Doc who’s so overrated even he agrees.  He has nothing to hang his hat on.  All he had to do in LA was realize CP3 needed another ball handler, couldn’t do that.  And what great developmental chops he’s shown in Philly when your starting PG is terrified of going to the stripe.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

That Celtics roster was one of my favorites though. I’m an irrational KG, Ray Allen, and Eddie House guy.  

Thibs did far more to affect that team than Doc who’s so overrated even he agrees.  He has nothing to hang his hat on.  All he had to do in LA was realize CP3 needed another ball handler, couldn’t do that.  And what great developmental chops he’s shown in Philly when your starting PG is terrified of going to the stripe.

Glenn is known as a relationship manager type coach.  I guess someone will have to explain why each of his teams have imploded due to interpersonal issues.

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Glenn is known as a relationship manager type coach.  I guess someone will have to explain why each of his teams have imploded due to interpersonal issues.

He's good at keeping guys happy, but when they aren't he can't fix it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

We are going to have to play better on offense than we did against New York. 

Philly isn’t quite a juggernaut on offense but I agree.  I would’ve sworn we scored more than 104 per game against NY but that was even more than necessary because Thibs just ain’t interested in scoring.  I’m aligned with Nate’s old school style of “first to 100 points wins” much more so than the D’Antoni “7 seconds or less” out the gate that betrays you late.  When the game grinds down Nate has shown to have a clear edge in strategy and calm over most of his counterparts, Doc certainly is no exception.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, marco102 said:

As tradition in the Hawks playoff wins, I'm feeling nervous. How about you?

I'm confident the Hawks won't sh*t the bed against Philly with or without Embiid.

I'm calmer than I was for the series against the Knicks.

My nerves were frayed against the Knicks, lol.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm calmer than I was for the series against the Knicks.

My nerves were frayed against the Knicks, lol.

Me too. Is it a calm confidence in our team?

Side note: When did Ben Simmons become 7 ft or 6'11 as some media have been saying lately? I remember a game JC destroyed him.when both were playing center and Ben was about the same height as John.

• Like 3

A lot of fans in general believe Simmons will be guarding Trae. 
I personally believe that’s a terrible assignment for 76ers being that Green and Curry cannot handle Hunter! Tobias isn’t really a defender to slow down Hunter either but I expect him to be assigned to Collins...Knicks tried it with Rose on Hunter and Hunter took great advantage of it as he should have.

I fully expect Simmons to guard Hunter and Doc to roll with Green guarding Trae. Tobias will guard Collins.....Either way it’s going to be a win in Traes favor no matter who’s matching up on the other side of him....Trae, Hunter, Collins all have a good opportunity to make meaningful impact overall in this series.

In my opinion Hawks favor more wins vs these matchups against Philly than what I expected vs the matchups with the Knicks coming into the rd1. Which is odd since Philly is the 1 seed vs a 4th seeded Knicks but  even then that doesn’t mean the Ws will come easier.

Trae vs Seth Curry- Seth  is a good player but Trae has a lot more talent to work with and can be more impactful so Trae easily wins the PG battle 

Bogi vs Green - At this point in their careers I believe most would say Bogi is the better player however I respect Greens accomplishments throughout his career and he has been a key role player for the championship Spurs and Raptors. Bogi is better no doubt but don’t expect Green to not make his presence felt. Bogi should win the SG battle.

Hunter vs Simmons - Simmons is the more recognized player between him and Hunter so nationally Simmons will be the winner just because of that but honestly overall when healthy I believe baby Leonard aka Hunter is the better overall. I will give Simmons the slight edge I guess but I really believe Hunters scoring ability outweighs Simmons playmaking ability in this series due to Trae. Defensively Hunter should be assigned to Tobias but for the 76ers Simmons should be guarding Hunter if they’re smart .

Collins vs Tobias- Tobias may win this matchup simply due to being a better scorer and both players primarily offensive talents. Then again Collins has the size to dominate Tobias and he should if he wants to prove he’s a max player. I don’t see Simmons guarding Collins due to a Hunter vs Tobias matchup would be absolutely horrible for Tobias in my book. I would say this matchup could go either way so for now I will say draw  bug with slight advantage to JC due to his size advantage.

Capela vs Healthy Embiid- Embiid wins the matchup enough said.

Capela vs 60% Embiid- Capela wins the matchup. Not going to say by how much or how little.

Capela vs Howard - Capela wins the matchup. Howard is terrible for this era and he will get eaten up by Traes floater and oop game to Capela.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1