• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

De'Andre Hunter is out for the rest of the Playoffs (Small Lateral Meniscus Tear)

ATLHawks3

Just what happens to a fan of any georgia team.  Get hope and show promise then take it away what else is new.   Embidd gets a small meniscus tear and plays through it and puts up 40/13 like it's not even a real thing.  Our guy gets a small meniscus tear and it puts him out for the season XD  How does crap like that even happen >.>

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Agreed Diesel.

Definitely sad for DeAndre.  But I commend the Hawks for erring on the side of caution with him.  Thank you sir for helping us beat the Knicks and getting us to the 2nd Round.

Having said that, this series vs Philly is NOT about De'Andre's availability. It's about if we're going to commit to make life as tough as possible for Joel Embiid, by doubling him as much as possible.  As Eddie Johnson on NBA Radio pointed out, Capela is getting beat up down on the block, trying to guard Embiid.  So let's double the guy to get the ball out of his hands, and make those Sixers role players beat us.

If they're forced to carry a more significant amount of the scoring role, my money is that they'll fold under the pressure.  Especially a guy like Gary Harris and possibly Tobias Harris, who has been known to toss up some stinkers in big games.

I was listening as well when Eddie mentioned that. If we are going to roll with that style of defense then there’s going to be a hell of a lot rotating and moving defensively once Embiid swings the ball!

im all for that defense but ultimately I believe we should defend Embiid like Randle using the same zone and stay in that zone at all times but keep Capela as Embiids primary defender as long as Embiid is in mid range area or paint area.

Mid range area - the plan should be to double him and make him pick up his dribble ASAP don’t let him get to where he want to be on the floor. Soon as he picks up his dribble in mid range area, the help defender need to scramble back to his man or nearest opponent in his zone area and leave  Capela to guard him one one because now at least Capela knows he has no dribbles and can only pull up a shot or pass.

Paint area- If Embiid is in the paint Double him like crazy with Capela and nearest zone defender and force him to find the open man. A real double team! Someone in front of him and Capela behind him! Not two defenders behind him. In the paint we need to crowd him best we can and IF Embiid swings the ball out of the double  we have to rotate like crazy.

Three point area- IF Embiid is out here in the 3 point area which is typically the top of the arc if he’s going to shoot one I don’t think we should have Capela out there just stay disciplined to the zone and whoever is on him out at 3 point area even if it’s Trae just play him tightly.If he gets to a point where he tries to back down from the 3pt line to mid range we just have to be smart enough to guide him to Capela and make him pick up that dribble.

Because Collins is guarding Simmons Collins should always be in a gap vs Simmons  and near the goal but watch the off ball and back door cuts. In a sense Collins is the Rim protector in this series since Capela needs to take full attention to Embiid but he’s also the additional team help. 

• Like 3

I'm deflated.  Was holding out hope that with a few extra days he'd be ready for Games 3 and 4.  I really hope the team isn't deflated from this news.  They still have a chance to get past Philly, but dang it's going to be hard.  

I'd start Tony but give him limited minutes and get Huerter in quickly. Something like this...  

Trae - 40 min 

Lou - 10 min 

Bogie - 40 min

Kev - 40 min 

Tony - 14 min

• Like 3

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

I'm deflated.  Was holding out hope that with a few extra days he'd be ready for Games 3 and 4.  I really hope the team isn't deflated from this news.  They still have a chance to get past Philly, but dang it's going to be hard.  

I'd start Tony but give him limited minutes and get Huerter in quickly. Something like this...  

Trae - 40 min 

Lou - 10 min 

Bogie - 40 min

Kev - 40 min 

Tony - 14 min

I'm sure the team was disappointed but I think Nate and Trae will remind them how well they played when they had to roll without Deandre all those games after Nate took on the Head Coach role. It was the regular season and definitely having Dre would help here in the postseason as it did for sure against the NYK but they only need to see that they won Game 1 and fought hard in Game 2 on the road with the final score of that game not indicative of how a large part of the game went, and quite a few mistakes made that weren't previously.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Healthy Dre, and I think we have as good a shot as anyone to win a title this year. Basketball gods are cruel. 

I agree, even if we somehow make it out of this one without Dre we really don't have a prayer against Brooklyn. Oh well, hopefully we can at least get this Philly upset, the season would be probably the biggest success for our franchise in Atlanta if it happens. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, turnermx said:

I think the Basketball gods might have something coming to the 76ers too, will see.  The bright side is that our window is just opening.  Atlanta and Phoenix are going to be trouble for years to come. 

Two most exciting teams in either conference atm. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, kg01 said:

My only pushback is Paul being old.  Phx was getting better anyway but his influence was tangible.

It'll be interesting to see if they can keep this up without him.

Ayton and Booker are nice to build around. I put Denver in the mix also. My question on the EC is who besides Atlanta is best set up for the longterm? the top of the East this year besides Atlanta had mostly vets as key players. Note to moderators feel free to move this to a new thread! I took us off topic.

Edited by turnermx
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, AtLaS said:

We are very young, and will be back.  We are setup for long term success.  I'll take our core over any other team in the east, except Nets but they have a relatively short window IMO with their age.  Next year we can get a high seed and cruise to the semi's plus have Reddish/Hunter healthy and a year older.

I also still think we have a very good shot to win this series.  I don't think we can beat the Nets but would be a great experience.  

No one is beating the Nets with KD playing the way he's playing, but yea it would be an incredibly fun series if the first two regular season games where we played them are any indication. 

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, turnermx said:

I'm sure the team was disappointed but I think Nate and Trae will remind them how well they played when they had to roll without Deandre all those games after Nate took on the Head Coach role. It was the regular season and definitely having Dre would help here in the postseason as it did for sure against the NYK but they only need to see that they won Game 1 and fought hard in Game 2 on the road with the final score of that game not indicative of how a large part of the game went, and quite a few mistakes made that weren't previously.

Damn thats my longest runon sentence like, ever. lol

• Haha 4

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, kg01 said:

My only pushback is Paul being old.  Phx was getting better anyway but his influence was tangible.

It'll be interesting to see if they can keep this up without him.

Yea, though if he's lucky and avoids those injuries that he always seems to have he can give them a couple more season. 

• Like 3