• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

John Collins - Max kat, 90 million-4yrs kat, or Gallo salary kat

NBASupes

19 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

BR. 120 mil

5 years 120 is the max?

1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

Not sure they were banking (no pun intended) on Bertans to necessarily improve. Just be the knockdown shooter he has always been.

Wiz fans I know are already trying to trade him..lol

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, terrell said:

Wiz have to be sick about this..You have to be careful handing out 5 year deals to players as old as Bertans. I mean how much is he going to improve?

He'll be 32 when his deals ends. We signed a 32 year Gallo for $20 mil. The 5 years was a surprise though. 

Every year you think GMs learn but thry keep giving out money like candy for Halloween. I'm just here for it, lol.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, terrell said:

Wiz have to be sick about this..You have to be careful handing out 5 year deals to players as old as Bertans. I mean how much is he going to improve?

Teams get desperate, especially when they don't have great planning and foresight. They probably know he wont improve, but they have to overpay to acquire/retain talent.

The Hawks problem is the players keep getting hurt. Travis can't count on ANY of his moves panning out because of injuries, and it's forcing him to consider options he wouldn't like. Maxing Collins is one of them.  Johnson provides insurance just in case.

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

The Hawks problem is the players keep getting hurt. Travis can't count on ANY of his moves panning out because of injuries, and it's forcing him to consider options he wouldn't like. Maxing Collins is one of them.  Johnson provides insurance just in case.

I disagree with everything except the bolded.

All of Travis' signings made an impact individually last year. And as a collective, his foresight of stocking our roster with a ton of depth as insurance against potential Covid absences paid off big time when we got decimated by injury. We were deep and able to trot out quality talent even with a full list of guys out. That was not by mistake.

As far as being forced to make bad decisions, we have plenty of talent at PF with Gallo, JJ and Knight. Schlenk can totally let JC walk if he wanted to. Our back are not up against the wall by any means to re-sign him. We WANT him back. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Where are yall "hearing" these rumors?

Insiders?  :blinkblinkblink

Woj said during draft that he's hearing that it's looking more likely than not that he'll resign with Hawks, the Stein pretty much agreed but couched it that other teams are pessimistic he'll leave the Hawks.....and now today many outlets 'reporting' as if he has been 'signed, sealed and delivered on a max contract and he ours'

Everybody, just stop. Monday at 6PM, we'll know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Which reminds me, can we please stop treating Bleacher Report as an actual source? It's more like BS Report. You can occasionally find a nugget here and there, but you really have to sift through a lot of garbage to find it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I disagree with everything except the bolded.

All of Travis' signings made an impact individually last year. And as a collective, his foresight of stocking our roster with a ton of depth as insurance against potential Covid absences paid off big time when we got decimated by injury. We were deep and able to trot out quality talent even with a full list of guys out. That was not by mistake.

As far as being forced to make bad decisions, we have plenty of talent at PF with Gallo, JJ and Knight. Schlenk can totally let JC walk if he wanted to. Our back are not up against the wall by any means to re-sign him. We WANT him back. 

The NBA isn't the NFL.  The NFL builds depth because of the injury nature of the game.  The NFL doesn't trot a second unit out to the field to give the starters a rest like the NBA does. The NBA builds depth to try and have the ability to have the second unit be as competitive as possible.  Travis didn't build that roster as insurance for injury or covid.  He learned at Golden State that if you can trot out a second unit that can start for many teams, you have a team thats hard to beat.  The injuries derailed that plan. 

The depth enabled the Hawks to absorb the injuries, but thats not the plan.  Thats why I said the Johnson signing is insurance because of the ripple effect of Hunter, Reddish, AND now Okongwu, being injured.  The way the team was built, they could have played hard ball with Collins and not match a max offer.  Now, Collins has more control.  Hunter is a key piece that would have allowed them to hard ball Collins.  Gallinaro isn't the answer.

Edited by Hawkmoor

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

:laugh1::laugh1:...Payback's a bitch.

The John Collins-Joel Embiid beef fully explained, and the Hawks becoming top dogs in the East

John Collins knew there would be a day where he would get the last laugh on Joel Embiid and the Philadelphia 76ers, and he couldn’t wait to capitalize on the first opportunity he would get.

After the Hawks upset the Sixers in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference semifinals, Collins showed up to the postgame news conference wearing a shirt of a picture of himself dunking on Embiid, shades indoors and a “The Boondocks” chain. He wanted to stunt as pettily as he could.

You don’t just show up to the arena with that shirt in your bag if you weren’t trying to send a message.

There’s a lot of backstory between Collins and Embiid that the Hawks forward continuously stored in his head over the past few years.

It all started when former Hawk Justin Anderson was traded to Atlanta from Philadelphia three years ago. Anderson is good friends with Embiid and had an understanding of the 76ers center’s sense of humor. Anderson was driving around Atlanta with Collins when Embiid called. At one point during the conversation, Embiid was cracking jokes on Anderson joining a rebuilding franchise that, at the time, was projected by betting sites to be the worst team in the NBA and was nationally irrelevant.

“You guys suck! You guys can’t even get on TNT, and you’re in Atlanta!” Embiid loudly screamed into the phone, as Anderson recalled with The Athletic at the time.

Anderson laughed. It was Embiid being Embiid. Collins didn’t find it so funny. He sat there quietly and made a mental note.

The following season, Embiid drove to the rim, posterized Collins, stared him in his face and shimmied. Another mental note.

But what got under Collins’ skin was the final shot for Embiid that night. With the Sixers up 14 with just over 30 seconds left, Embiid drained a 3 in Collins’ face and paraded down the court holding his hand to his ear as if he was Hulk Hogan.

It didn’t stop there. The Sixers got the ball back, and as Embiid was running out the clock, Kevin Huerter came up from behind and poked the ball free. Embiid then gave Huerter the middle finger. Collins was pissed in the locker room after that game.

“It’s definitely funny,” Collins said. “I know Joel says a lot. I know a lot of people were asking why I did what I did to him and why I made the shirt. As a man, I don’t feel like I need to get into it, but I feel like there’s a lot of stuff there for why we played so hard and why it was a tough series. We wanted to prove a point for a number of reasons. There were a bunch of different things that added fuel to our fire in that series.”

It wasn’t just Embiid who angered the Hawks over the past few seasons. In 2018, while on a video game livestream, Sixers point guard Ben Simmons was trying to convince Timberwolves center Karl-Anthony Towns to continue playing, but Towns wanted to stop because Minnesota was playing Atlanta the following day. Simmons said Towns had “plenty of time” to play the video game because the Wolves were playing the Hawks. Simmons then laughed at his joke.

Three years later, Simmons was the one people were laughing at with his performance against the Hawks in the playoffs — and Atlanta was the accelerant for the fire that happened in the Sixers organization this offseason with Simmons wanting out.

“I don’t think we’re the sole reason for what’s happening, but I feel like we shined a bright light on them and helped maybe expose or help show why Philly wasn’t doing what they were expected to do, which was get to the Finals, win championships and all of that good stuff,” Collins said. “It definitely gives us fuel to our fire, and I feel like it does put a big target on our backs knowing that we took down a big dog. I know other teams are going to be coming for us and be prepared for us.”

Re-signing with the Hawks was the validation Collins needed for himself. He bet on himself the previous offseason and turned down the Hawks’ initial contract offer with the belief that he was going to prove why he deserved more. After being a key reason as to why the Hawks made it to the Eastern Conference finals, he was rewarded.

“It’s like getting a full, restful night of sleep. That’s what it felt like to sign the paper,” Collins said. “That relief of stress and pressure just felt like I was fully awake now. It put me in a better mood. It took me a while to understand the stress but in the moment, it’s just pure bliss.

“I feel like I need to become the best player I possibly could be to truly take the next step, not only to receive the full fruits of the contract but just understanding who I am as a player. That comes with my growth. I don’t feel pressure; I feel more so relieved. But I still want to push to become the best player I can be knowing that I am in a position for this team where I need to become that.”

To get to that level, Collins feels like he needs to improve his situational awareness in certain situations, such as having a quicker reaction time to where he needs to be defensively on the pick-and-roll; understanding teams’ and players’ tendencies and the sets they like to run; knowing when to call for a post up on a smaller man; and when he should pop to the 3-point line.

It’s those little things that made Collins a more well-rounded player this past season. He had to do more of the little things than in his previous seasons because his role changed, and sacrifice was necessary for the greater good of the Hawks. He went from being mostly known for his ability as a rim runner to playing on the perimeter more than he’s done on any level in his career.

• Like 2

I love this team man. They are not with the jokes. Philly was marked even before we drew them in the playoffs. JC knew he would have a chance to get back.

It's so interesting that we completely flipped the script on these teams in the playoffs.

Knicks swept us in the regular season, so we gentlemen swept them in the playoffs.

Sixers won the season series on the back of 2 huge B2B victories while we were injured. We turn around and bounce them.

Milwaukee was the most favorable matchup of the top teams for us, and we let them off the hook in the ECF.

You can tell this team has another gear when it's motivated. I hope we keep that and learn to use it no matter who the opponent is.

• Like 4