• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The single #1 way the refs are influencing this game. Nate has to take a fine.

thecampster

This is great analysis.

Maybe talk to some of the guys on Twitter like Bob Rathburn and Steve Holman, and see if they can drop a bug in some of the assistant coaches ears about this point.

This also leads me to believe that playing small vs the Philly starters might be their kryptonite.

I need to make my own thread about this, because I have extensive thoughts on this subject.

• Like 4

• Premium Member

That may explain why Capela always seems to be out of position for offensive rebounds. I was upset that he was always out of position and was attempting to tip the ball in the rim. But that makes sense if Philly's bigs never really leave the paint. The coach as well as the players on the court need to be calling this out as it happens. I've also noticed a few momentum killing foul calls whenever the Hawks cut into a lead. Of course, plenty of the Hawks' issues the past 2 games are self inflicted but that's something else to make note of.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

This also leads me to believe that playing small vs the Philly starters might be their kryptonite.

Which lineup should we run out there to go small.

Trae

Huerter

Bogi

Collins

Capela

?

I have some thought to how I'd beat the illegal D situation and I'm thinking with an old college 3, 1 and 1 ISO offense. How this offense works? There are 3 zones all around the 3 point area. left, top, right.  You stack one of the 3 zones with 3 players (regardless of whether or not they can shoot). The ball handler gets another zone and a spot up gets the 3rd zone.  In my example we'll stack 3 players on the left zone at the 3 point line along the line. Trae at the top in ISO and Bogie in the right corner.  Starting with the left corner, we have John/Capela/Solo. Capela floats to John's man and sets an off ball screen, forcing defensive player movement to stop the off ball. After the screen, Capela rolls, John comes toward Trae. If free he spots up, if not he continues to Trae and sets the pick. Trae chooses whether to pass to John, take his man off of iso or move toward John's screen. This sets a double roll to the basket pulling the possible double defenders back to the basket. This will either free up Trae to pull up off the dribble or push to Solo in the corner.  Alternatively, if Trae is at the top and no double comes, he is free to ISO score. If he drives right and Bogie's man comes to double, Trae kicks to the corner to Bogie.

The idea of this setup (not setting a post player) is to make Philly pay for doubling. If the double comes from the left as the center leaves his man, it opens a cutter or an off ball screen to a cutter, spot up. By pulling a screener up to Trae, we are allowing the Philly defensive bigs to sag into the lane. The fix for this is to bring our big out to the 3 point line and force their big to make a choice of coming to double or following his man out of the lane. This is Michigan State early 90's basketball.

• Like 2