• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trae’s Dribble Economy

benhillboy

1 hour ago, Jdawgflow said:

So is it safe to say that Trae has won you over Ben?

Yeah that’s safe lol.  I just wanted him to defend with effort and help out the guys who help him.  Nate has hammered it home.  The effects of him moving his feet, using his arms, and communicating has such far-reaching effects for the team’s transitions from defense to offense and vice versa.  His raw production has always been insane, but now it has the effect it’s supposed to have now he isn’t a clear liability.  He guarded Giannis into a non-scoring play; that would’ve been impossible before Nate.  He’s learned what guys like Beal and Lilliard still don’t know and probably never will.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

He knows now that arms by your side, flat footed, allowing easy blow byes, assuming your guys know how to match up in transition style loses games.  He’s valuing possessions much more on both ends and it shows up in advanced stats because they love players who protect the ball and play big minutes when their teams hold opponents around 100-105.  We been playing stellar team defense, which can never happen without a solid team defender at the Point.  

He definitely ain’t gotta be Patrick Beverly or Gary Payton.  Just gimme John Paxson or Tony Parker and we good.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

“…please allow me to bump thee.”

-Hump (RIP)

I couldn’t find dribbles per game but I’m sure Trae’s is low for how long his possessions are.

He leads the league in bad pass turnovers (150) yet is only 54th in lost ball turns (28) due to his ultra-tight handle.  I don’t mind his quality of turnover as much as I normally would with someone who’s usually in the Top 3-5 of total committed.  His 3+ per game are usually a lob breakup, a skip pass anticipation/ telegraph, and one ill-advised pass into traffic where he was a little too worried about flash.

His hand measures 8” from wrist to index tip (exact same as mine, always told I had “piano fingers”) yet his width from pinky tip to thumb tip is 9.25” (1.25” longer than mine/ normal I’m assuming).  I miss those sport science segments on ESPN, a deep dive into Traes’s handle would’ve been cool.  

I like how he’s cautious about when he goes between his legs and crosses over, easy ways to to get picked or lose the rock.  He may throw a shot up in traffic but rarely dribbles into impending doom (DeJounte!)

Somehow the ball sticks to his hands a tick longer than usual and he may use his wrist a bit to “cuff” the dribble.  This really helps his change of pace and start-stop game.  People like to highlight certain players for palming but Trae certainly does not.  The ball never has to be in his peripheral vision which is how he manipulates defenders with his eyes so much.  One of my favorite moments of the season was when the Mavericks tried to press him with a staggered backcourt blitz twice late.  He dribbled through both defenders like cones, didn’t need any screens or anyone to come to the ball lol.  Kyrie the only other player I would expect to do the same, CP3 could but would definitely have a screener in place before the inbound.

I apologize for diverting attention from trade rumors and such carry on lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

“…please allow me to bump thee.”

-Hump (RIP)

I couldn’t find dribbles per game but I’m sure Trae’s is low for how long his possessions are.

He leads the league in bad pass turnovers (150) yet is only 54th in lost ball turns (28) due to his ultra-tight handle.  I don’t mind his quality of turnover as much as I normally would with someone who’s usually in the Top 3-5 of total committed.  His 3+ per game are usually a lob breakup, a skip pass anticipation/ telegraph, and one ill-advised pass into traffic where he was a little too worried about flash.

His hand measures 8” from wrist to index tip (exact same as mine, always told I had “piano fingers”) yet his width from pinky tip to thumb tip is 9.25” (1.25” longer than mine/ normal I’m assuming).  I miss those sport science segments on ESPN, a deep dive into Traes’s handle would’ve been cool.  

I like how he’s cautious about when he goes between his legs and crosses over, easy ways to to get picked or lose the rock.  He may throw a shot up in traffic but rarely dribbles into impending doom (DeJounte!)

Somehow the ball sticks to his hands a tick longer than usual and he may use his wrist a bit to “cuff” the dribble.  This really helps his change of pace and start-stop game.  People like to highlight certain players for palming but Trae certainly does not.  The ball never has to be in his peripheral vision which is how he manipulates defenders with his eyes so much.  One of my favorite moments of the season was when the Mavericks tried to press him with a staggered backcourt blitz twice late.  He dribbled through both defenders like cones, didn’t need any screens or anyone to come to the ball lol.  Kyrie the only other player I would expect to do the same, CP3 could but would definitely have a screener in place before the inbound.

I apologize for diverting attention from trade rumors and such carry on lol.

I mean no disrespect benhillboy, but how many times have we seen him, late in a game, pound the ball up and down until there is only 3 seconds or so left on the shot clock,  and then dribble toward the sideline and get trapped?  His only option at that point is a really tough shot or trying to find someone to pass it to, often with not so good results.  I don't know if this is his idea or Nate's, but it is a waste of scoring opportunities and of Trae's talents.

27 minutes ago, Watchman said:

I mean no disrespect benhillboy, but how many times have we seen him, late in a game, pound the ball up and down until there is only 3 seconds or so left on the shot clock,  and then dribble toward the sideline and get trapped?  His only option at that point is a really tough shot or trying to find someone to pass it to, often with not so good results.  I don't know if this is his idea or Nate's, but it is a waste of scoring opportunities and of Trae's talents.

Certainly no disrespect taken.  His late game decision making can be shaky obviously.  He’s seen everything a defense can possibly throw so his late reactions some times are puzzling when he‘s been going quick the first three quarters.  But there’s a lot that goes into those situations.  Clock. Score.  Is John or Clint fouled out?  What’s the defensive look?  His teammates standing around doesn’t help.  But we’ve also seen his ball-pound approach late win a fair share of games, just not this season.

I’ve been railing against super-high usage forever, not just him.  I’d much rather the ball move quickly all the time.  I was just highlighting how efficient his attack dribble is.  All high-usage players pound and occasionally do dumb sh*t at the end of games it’s required lol.

I just try to provide substantive analysis on Trae when I can.  All most people know is “27 and 10” and “sh!tty defense.”

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Watchman said:

In the NFL we have all watched the "prevent defense." 

In the NBA we see the "prevent offense" where we keep the ball as long as possible to prevent our opponent from scoring. You describe it perfectly!  I hate both.  

:ahf: