• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Heck of a season. THANK YOU Hawks!

RandomFan

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, RandomFan said:

But that is your mistake. You made your whole original comment based around one big IF, and one that has no evidence that I've seen of it being an accurate assessment of the situation with the Hawks.

Jaybird's response was spot-on. Nobody I've seen is saying getting there is good enough. We can be simultaneously appreciative of where they are while recognizing there is still farther to go. 

I didn't make a mistake. I stated my philosophy on how I view a season. There's only one champion at the end so that's the only team that can say they weren't losers. Every other team but the champion at the end is a loser. 

When you look back at previous Hawks teams that had the "wow just glad to be here!" mindset that acceptance of "well at least we got here" is what killed them. I don't want that to happen with this team.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Remember when JC said this:

If you find yourself growing impatient with the Hawks’ rebuild, John Collins offered some reassuring words:

“I want them to know we’re not as far away as you think,

“This is just to me, with the roster moves, with the experience that we have gained and are going to gain over the summer, and chemistry, I keep on hearing us being talked about as a fringe playoff team, and I just want to start pushing our team and our discussion in the spaces, in the mental spaces of people as a playoff contender every year,” Collins said.

“I feel like once we prove that, and put that into the world, we’ll get that respect. … I feel like we’re very close. 

....yeah, me neither.  But there it is.

Atlanta Hawks John Collins: 'We're not as far away as you think' (ajc.com) - May 14th, 2020

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

I agree with JC, people aren't going to respect us till we whoop up on the NBA next year. After that, people will give us our flowers. People are still making excuses about our success. 

Agreed. To be fair, it's a lot like the 2004 Pistons that went to the Finals without an All-Star. People thought there were just a flash in the pan, an anomaly. It took them going back to the Finals or conference finals over a several year period to realize they were just a really good team and it wasn't a fluke. I have no problem with people having similar doubts. It's pretty much par for the course when teams seemingly come out of nowhere to most of the public. As fans that have been keeping a close eye on what has been brewing here, we know better. But most fans don't and that's OK. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member

We got the most out of all the moves Schlenk made this offseason except for Bruno (which was likely also a calculated move not to play him). We are also in a very good position to improve organically next season or add some more key pieces to the puzzle. Tony has already been chomping at the bit to spend. Schlenk can put a package together to get a star without giving up much of our young core if any. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...