• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2021 into 2022 OFFSEASON News and Notes

RandomFan

21 hours ago, RandomFan said:

Say what you will about LP as a coach, and deservedly so, but the man is still a class act outside the basketball arena. 

That's why it is so annoying and frustrating seeing Hawks fans making up lies about LP, and mischaracterizing things he did and said. I thought we were better than that? He had some missteps, but seriously what coach does not criticize his players? It's like a parent, you encourage, you support, but you also have to be hard sometimes. That's part of being a coach. Do you know what was the first thing Greg Popovich said to Tony Parker? "Youre the worst defender I have ever seen." In those times a coach could do that. A coach today nowadays would handed his walking papers for doing that. But stupid fans would say, "Popovich was trying to undermine the players and the organization." No he wasnt moron, he was trying to make the team better and his players better. 

• Like 1

Also, if he was a borderline basketball Hall of Famer back in 2018, the way he's performing on the Big 3, may get him in.  It'll just be the icing on the cake for his basketball career. 

His legend as a clutch shooter since the 2011 - 12 season, has been as good as anybody not named Steph or Dame Lillard.

Knicks seen as team most likely to trade up in 2021 NBA Draft

ETHAN FULLER

4H

I asked five sources for a team in the first round most likely to move up, and they all said the Knicks... Multiple sources said there’s a player in the low teens that they have targeted, but no one’s sure who it is. ------------

OK, who do we think the Knicks are targeting? Obviously someone that.plays defense. Probably a PG. I'm gonna guess Davion Mitchell.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Knicks seen as team most likely to trade up in 2021 NBA Draft

ETHAN FULLER

4H

I asked five sources for a team in the first round most likely to move up, and they all said the Knicks... Multiple sources said there’s a player in the low teens that they have targeted, but no one’s sure who it is. ------------

OK, who do we think the Knicks are targeting? Obviously someone that.plays defense. Probably a PG. I'm gonna guess Davion Mitchell.

Just look for the list of likely busts for reference. 

🙃

• Haha 3

USA basketball really should have thought this through more.

In a year coming off a pandemic, the NBA expanded their rosters to 15 plus 2 two-way players prepare for unexpected absences and what not. Now guys are dropping left and right in the safety protocol, and not to mention they are still waiting for the Finals to end to get the rest of their players.

Team USA should have expanded their pool of players from 12 to 15 at least. And they should have put more responsibility in to picking the Select team. They always create this huge chasm where the select guys are  clearly freshmen league to the Main teams Varsity. Now when they are in a pinch they only feel comfortable promoting guys who have practiced this whole time but a are clearly no where near the best available talent. 

If the Olympic rules only allowed 12, Team USA should have invited a handful of legit options to fill out the select team in the event Covid, Injury or Personal took out guys from the main roster.

If I see Darius Garland or John Jenkins get an opportunity on the National team before they even give Trae, Ja or Zion an invite Im going to be pissed. I'm barely hanging on after Keldon Johnson got promoted.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

USA basketball really should have thought this through more.

In a year coming off a pandemic, the NBA expanded their rosters to 15 plus 2 two-way players prepare for unexpected absences and what not. Now guys are dropping left and right in the safety protocol, and not to mention they are still waiting for the Finals to end to get the rest of their players.

Team USA should have expanded their pool of players from 12 to 15 at least. And they should have put more responsibility in to picking the Select team. They always create this huge chasm where the select guys are  clearly freshmen league to the Main teams Varsity. Now when they are in a pinch they only feel comfortable promoting guys who have practiced this whole time but a are clearly no where near the best available talent. 

If the Olympic rules only allowed 12, Team USA should have invited a handful of legit options to fill out the select team in the event Covid, Injury or Personal took out guys from the main roster.

If I see Darius Garland or John Jenkins get an opportunity on the National team before they even give Trae, Ja or Zion an invite Im going to be pissed. I'm barely hanging on after Keldon Johnson got promoted.

IIRC there were 44 Finalists selected players (Trae not included). As guys like LBJ, Steph etc. declined to participate guys from that list are being called up from that list and from.the Select Team.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nba/news/team-usa-basketball-lebron-james-stephen-curry-headline-list-of-44-finalists-for-2020-tokyo-olympics-roster/amp/

• Moderators
On 7/15/2021 at 5:47 PM, RedDawg#8 said:

From what I read, the vaccines have been effective in minimizing the effect of the variant infections. As in virtually no hospitalizations or deaths.

So far so good.  As long as a large part of the population is unvaccinated new variants will continue developing.  That is the risk.  If existing vaccines are not effective against one or more of them, that could set us all back.  I don't think anyone on this board can quantify what that risk looks like but the way we got rid of polio and other diseases was to make vaccination near universal in this country.  No reason why that approach makes less sense for a more transmittable, more unstable virus.

On 7/17/2021 at 1:52 PM, bleachkit said:

Trump has not tuned anti-vaxx. I think people just assume he has because many on the far right have. Trump was anti-lockdown, which is an entirely separate issue. He is also making baseless claims of election fraud, which is certainly not helping his credibility. But as far as tweets or public statements discrediting the legitamacy of vaccines, I know of none. 

On 7/17/2021 at 2:52 PM, bleachkit said:

The notion that anti-vaxx sentiment is specific to right leaning Trump voters is quite frankly not accurate. There is quite a bit of skepticism and/or indifference to getting vaccinated in Black and Latino communities. Sports is kind of a microcosm of society and we have seen athletes of all stripes choose not to get vaccinated.

Trump is not anti-vaccine per se.  I would define anti-vaccine as someone who is actively working to stop people from getting vaccinated.  Trump does like to claim credit for the vaccine.  The problem is that he makes very little effort to stop disinformation or to encourage  his followers to get vaccinated.  In a time when Republicans will repeat blatant lies about the election because Trump is actively pushing them to spread this narrative, he is making no similar effort to get them to promote vaccination or to stop the disinformation campaign of anti-vaxxers.  He just seems largely indifferent to the topic and much more interested in other things.

On the correlation between anti-vaxxers and politics, I think the accurate way to put this is that there is a very strong connection between politics and vaccine hesitancy but that politics isn't the only driver of that behavior.  Right leaning Trump voters clearly are much more anti-vaxx than other political segments of the population.  That is easy to see with simple numbers.  But vaccine hesitancy or opposition isn't limited to that group. 

Bleach is fully correct that we have seen lower take rates in minority communities that aren't part of the Trump demographic.  From my anecdotal experience with working class minorities in my company, I have heard three things (1) general distrust of the government as seen in BLM and other areas of life, (2) a specific distrust of the Trump administration and its policies on science and minorities (separate topics that have overlap here), and (3) citing of the unethical, cruelty of the Tuskegee experiments and the lingering distrust these specific experiments have left them for government medical programs.  That is purely anecdotal but is feedback at least from some of the minorities (mostly black) who have elected to continue wearing masks at our sites.

Personally, I dont understand the opposition after hundreds of millions of people have already gotten the jab, and side effects are largely mild or none.

Definitely agree.  Especially when combined with the statistics on who is still dying from this disease.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lethalweapon3 said:

Simple and plain: happy trails to Chelsea Lane!

~lw3

I don't think she adjusted well to the lead role. Steph and them boys were vets so they had an idea what to do without her but these boys don't. They need someone more hands on and better at this on a day to day level. 

21 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

IIRC there were 44 Finalists selected players (Trae not included). As guys like LBJ, Steph etc. declined to participate guys from that list are being called up from that list and from.the Select Team.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nba/news/team-usa-basketball-lebron-james-stephen-curry-headline-list-of-44-finalists-for-2020-tokyo-olympics-roster/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/olympics.com/en/news/zion-williamson-trae-young-basketball-olympic-roster

Trae was added to the lists of finalists after the initial list came out.

He is technically in the pool.

I guess what Im saying is that, all 57 of these guys are practicing and going through plays with the team, they are basically just on call.

I feel like, at least for this year, they should have utilized the select team to add more guys from the finalists list so that they could be in the building and working out with the team in the event of an emergency call up.

They way they do it it now, they only pick 12 guys from the list of finalists, and then go outside the list to find a bunch of lesser players with some promise to fill out the select team.

When they had 2 spots to fill they chose Javale from the finalist pool but decided to promote from the select team for the other spot because they liked his chemistry with the team. Imagine if Ja or someone else was practicing with the main group, Im sure they would have liked his chemistry too. 

It's just poor planning. They never go in to it with the expectation that they would have to use select team players on the main roster but things happen and they have to make due.

Pop also chose to promote Derrick White from the select team back in 2019 when they had late scratches.

There seems to be some favoritism to go with his guys versus better players they could pull in cold. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I don't think she adjusted well to the lead role. Steph and them boys were vets so they had an idea what to do without her but these boys don't. They need someone more hands on and better at this on a day to day level. 

By all accounts she is the best in the biz, still. We're going to feel her loss. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

By all accounts she is the best in the biz, still. We're going to feel her loss. 

I keep hearing this.  We heard it the last what 3 years but .... our guys seemed to progress and return from injury more and more slowly.  That can't be denied.

• Like 2