• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2021 into 2022 OFFSEASON News and Notes

RandomFan

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm not sure I follow. 

If converted it will most likely come with years added. If he chooses not to sign it, Hawks can make him a RFA by tendering a QO.

Right now, as I understand it he can't sign with any other team if we are offering a contract that will take him to bird rights.

I expect most 2-way players would be happy to sign a longer deal that would get us bird rights but I don't know if by signing him to a two-way deal if we lose that control.  My understanding is two way deals are limited to one or two season which will not get you bird rights.

If you convert a contract, can the player simply play out the remainder of that one or two way contract and then be an UFA?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

You can't assume he will sign a 4 year deal because Dort did. Dort was undrafted and they converted him during his rookie year. 

I'm just referencing how his two way was converted. Goodwin was also a 2way convert.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

Right now, as I understand it he can't sign with any other team if we are offering a contract that will take him to bird rights.

I expect most 2-way players would be happy to sign a longer deal that would get us bird rights but I don't know if by signing him to a two-way deal if we lose that control.  My understanding is two way deals are limited to one or two season which will not get you bird rights.

If you convert a contract, can the player simply play out the remainder of that one or two way contract and then be an UFA?

Hawks can extend a Qualifying offer to make him restricted.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Hawks can extend a Qualifying offer to make him restricted.

So the way that would play out is that he would be a restricted free agent but we might only have the MLE or other exceptions available to sign him, correct?  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

It makes the most sense to sign him to a 3-4 year deal with two non-guarantee years. Generally, gives him security and us his BR just in case we want to trade him down the road. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

It makes the most sense to sign him to a 3-4 year deal with two non-guarantee years. Generally, gives him security and us his BR just in case we want to trade him down the road. 

That is my lean as well but I get sturt's point that for the 2021-22 roster we are better signing him to a two-way and filling the 15th roster spot with a legit vet like LouWill than signing Cooper to the 15 and having Knight or Mays or someone else as the two-way.  Comes down to how big a risk it is you think we'll be missing Trae in the playoffs and how much you believe in Cooper.  I tend to think that if we get an upgrade to our backup PG that the right balance is what you've described but I get people who think avoiding a situation like we had this year is the bigger need.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Important to know... and I just learned it myself...

LWR_Recording.png

EDIT: Reading above, it appears others looked into it before I did.

So, has any two-way ever so excelled in his first season that he was thought he could command some high price that couldn't be afforded by the MLE?

Even if it were the case that we could wait until we see whether or not he sufficiently develops (we can't), I don't see where there's this great risk to us losing the player.

I get it that some are excited that we obtained a player mocked in the 20s-30s, instead, at #48. That's as it should be. But given the gravity of 2021-22, we need our 10 rotation guys to be as supplemented as humanly possible with the 5 players on the back end of the depth chart who are the best options if we have to dip that deep for some minutes in the post season.

So, yes, it's a question of RISK... who do you feel best about taking 5 minutes when Trae is out for the rest of the game b/c he tweaked his ankle, and the #2 needs a blow... and a question of URGENCY... you only know what you know right now and have to make a decision for arguably as consequential a season as the Atlanta Hawks have ever played or will ever play.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

We have a team of young versatile players that can play different positions

Huerter - PG/SG/SF

Bogi - PG/SG

Hunter - SF/PF

Reddish - SG/SF

Collins - PF/C

Johnson - SF/PF

OO - PF/C

It's a great number of puzzle pieces for Nate to work with.

• Like 3

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We have a team of young versatile players that can play different positions

Huerter - PG/SG/SF

Bogi - PG/SG

Hunter - SF/PF

Reddish - SG/SF

Collins - PF/C

Johnson - SF/PF

OO - PF/C

It's a great number of puzzle pieces for Nate to work with.

E2XCkbNXEAAgIS-.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, sturt said:

So, has any two-way ever so excelled in his first season that he was thought he could command some high price that couldn't be afforded by the MLE?

"Ever" is a three year sample and "in his first season" should be changed to "during his first contract" as first year is not relevant if the player signs a two year deal and their RFA comes after that.  So I think the answer is "no."  There hasn't been a Gilbert Arenas, Manu Ginobili type of breakout player during that period.  Duncan Robinson and Lu Dort might be the best two-way players so far.  Robinson was #3 on the Heat in total minutes played during the NBA finals so definitely a great value for them.  Dort became a starter as a rookie and started every game this season.  Obviously, both would command way more than their current contracts if they became free agents today restricted or not.

Cooper might be the most high profile prospect every signed to a two-way contract if it happens.

@NBASupes you’re right nice call.

31. Lou Williams
ATL • SG • 6
PPG11.3
APG3.4
SPG.71
3P/G1.045
View Profile

Williams will turn 35 in October, and he indicated on Instagram that he thinks he'll return to Atlanta. You know what his strengths and weaknesses are by now, so it's just a matter of whether or not he and the Hawks can find a sensible deal for him to run the second unit. Even if he walks, the team can take a victory lap on the trade that brought him home, since two second-round picks came with him. 

1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

@NBASupes you’re right nice call.

31. Lou Williams
ATL • SG • 6
PPG11.3
APG3.4
SPG.71
3P/G1.045
View Profile

Williams will turn 35 in October, and he indicated on Instagram that he thinks he'll return to Atlanta. You know what his strengths and weaknesses are by now, so it's just a matter of whether or not he and the Hawks can find a sensible deal for him to run the second unit. Even if he walks, the team can take a victory lap on the trade that brought him home, since two second-round picks came with him. 

Things change in an instant in the NBA. Delon Wright wasn't on the market till after the draft. Lou Williams was locked in it seemed. He could end up in DC. They need a backup PG since they are losing Neto and Ish Smith and they could pay well. Harrell there was there more reason than not.

• Thanks 1