2021 into 2022 OFFSEASON News and Notes

RandomFan

54 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Well, I threaten to kill you a couple times a week.  Doesn't kill the family vibe we got going on this site.

What?  You didn't know about the death threats?  Ohh, heh, heh..

100.webp?cid=ecf05e47qdpeamo67ngyk9hlua5

... nevermind then.

Dis KG crossing off his lists in the cul de sac. 

QueasyInsecureCicada-max-1mb.gif

Edited by RandomFan
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

On 8/25/2021 at 4:13 PM, Spud2nique said:

I always skipped that show because of her from the start. I hated her style. I swear I sniffed something just fishy and wrong about her right off the bat. 

The Jump wasn't a bad show.  And Rachel was good at how she hosted it ( IMO ).  I think it was purposely not directed toward hardcore NBA heads, unlike NBA Live, which is definitely for the hardcore fan.  Rachel was very player friendly, which kept The Jump being more like an after work get together at the local bar type of show with co-workers and friends.

I think Rachel, Michelle Beadle, and Sage Steele got caught up in believing that they were better than what they really were, and that tenure at ESPN would entitle them to more prestigious jobs within the network.

Maria Taylor was a natural in front of the screen.  A superstar.  And very likable.  That's why ESPN started to put her on more and more stuff. 

Considering she was on the network almost year round, and they were putting her front and center on just about all major events, they shouldn't have fumbled the ball when it was time to cash her out.  And with the Rachel Nichols comments lingering behind the scenes, they DEFINITELY should've cashed Maria out, to kill any animosity.

Now they're left looking like Nino Brown in New Jack City, when The Carter was shut down.

I meant NFL Live, not NBA Live

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

Exactly. With family you can do that. At ESPN if you're caught saying something not so nice about someone, you're dead to them. The Jump had to do multiple episodes at times because Nichols and Taylor couldn't be in the same room together. 

Rachel's mistake was that she inferred that Maria was getting looks because they needed to put a Black face in front of the network, and not because Maria was simply better than she was.  She basically asserted that her bosses were promoting her due to their "horrible history on race and sex promotions".

When you make an accusation like that against your bosses, and their extremely popular young superstar, you will get the smoke blown back into your face.  Being in corporate America, my motto is to not say anything in private, that you wouldn't say in public DIRECTLY to the person that you're talking about.

As to your comment about no one at ESPN liking each other, that became very evident with the Mike and Mike breakup.  With the way those two clicked in the morning show, you'd think they were the best of friends behind the scenes.  But let Mike Golic tell it, they were "cool", but not so close that they or their families hung out with each other after work.  And ever since the end of the show, they barely even spoke to each other, outside of a cordial hello and goodbye.

That seems to be a VERY competitive environment up there in Bristol with a lot of egos . . ( good and bad ).

4 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

That's going to be Monica McNutt's spot.  Or they move Sage Steele back to being on NBA coverage.  Alan Hahn would be a good fit with either of the two.  He works well with Monica on MSG Network coverage of the Knicks.

Or . . you go completely out the box and move Renee Montgomery into that spot.

Know what they should do to that terrible show?  Know what they should do to that terrible channel?

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e472qpjr4rbmtwfq2e1gd

And the Jump was not a great show.  It was just a show and because nobody else has the guts to challenge BSPN, we're tricked into thinking their coverage is good.

3 hours ago, RandomFan said:

Dis KG crossing off his lists in the cul de sac. 

QueasyInsecureCicada-max-1mb.gif

(oh shish, how'd he see 'the list'?)

200.webp?cid=ecf05e47yfnk0ko5wmde8g9jtfd

My name is now 10gk and ..... no I'm not hiding anything?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

The Jump wasn't a bad show.  And Rachel was good at how she hosted it ( IMO ).  I think it was purposely not directed toward hardcore NBA heads, unlike NBA Live, which is definitely for the hardcore fan.  Rachel was very player friendly, which kept The Jump being more like an after work get together at the local bar type of show with co-workers and friends.

I think Rachel, Michelle Beadle, and Sage Steele got caught up in believing that they were better than what they really were, and that tenure at ESPN would entitle them to more prestigious jobs within the network.

Maria Taylor was a natural in front of the screen.  A superstar.  And very likable.  That's why ESPN started to put her on more and more stuff. 

Considering she was on the network almost year round, and they were putting her front and center on just about all major events, they shouldn't have fumbled the ball when it was time to cash her out.  And with the Rachel Nichols comments lingering behind the scenes, they DEFINITELY should've cashed Maria out, to kill any animosity.

Now they're left looking like Nino Brown in New Jack City, when The Carter was shut down.

I meant NFL Live, not NBA Live

They didnt cash her out because she asking for too much money, and she was a huge diva. Athletes cant be replaced, people who talk about athletes can. ESPN also didnt appreciate the fact that her people leaked the story about Rachel Nichols right around the NBA finals. Very unprofessional. ESPN rightfully didn't renew her contract. 

"Zach LaVine is expected to sign with Klutch Sports Group, according to a league source".

Nerlens Noel throwing a tantrum and Rich Paul just kept working and landed Zach LaVine as a Klutch client. Face with tears of joy

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2947770-how-nerlens-noel-rich-paul-lawsuit-could-change-nba-agent-landscape

[Fischer] Sources confirm that the 76ers were indeed interested in landing Noel before Philadelphia shifted its sights to Al Horford after being unable to reach Rich Paul. The Clippers and Rockets also attempted to contact Rich Paul that same offseason, also to no avail.

It doesn't look good for Paul. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, RandomFan said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2947770-how-nerlens-noel-rich-paul-lawsuit-could-change-nba-agent-landscape

[Fischer] Sources confirm that the 76ers were indeed interested in landing Noel before Philadelphia shifted its sights to Al Horford after being unable to reach Rich Paul. The Clippers and Rockets also attempted to contact Rich Paul that same offseason, also to no avail.

It doesn't look good for Paul. 

Does this sound right to you?...that Philly was more interested in Noel than trying to poach Horford, the much better player from Boston? Na...not buying that. FAcy started June 30th at 6PM...Horford agree to terms with Sixers shortly after FAcy began.

• Like 1