2021 into 2022 OFFSEASON News and Notes

RandomFan

30 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

They made a legal trade with Detroit, they paid Detroit to take his salary...all within the CBA rules. NBA can't fix stupid (Detroit) for taking only 2nds. (Though I'm don't see how they can request a 1st for $10 mil (actual contract value). Every year teams in the Luxury Tax try to reduce or eliminate their tax burden, all within the rules. 

Legal trades have been stopped in the past. Chris Paul to LA was killed because of competitive balance.

Im not mad at the trade. We did the same thing in the not so distant past.

We took on all sorts of bad trades that helped other teams clear salary just so we could have their expiring contracts.

Heck, don't forget about the Melo trade.

Ressler was willing to buyout or pay salaries of guys we had no intentions of keeping because Schlenk had a plan. 

Who knows what Detroits motivation is but they have the right to say no to any trade they want. The league can't tell them what to do with their money.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, kg01 said:

No it wasn't.  It was killed because the owner thought it was a bad trade.

I’m going to figure out how to post articles at some point but anyone can look up Chris Paul LA competitive balance on google and figure it out. The … NBA has stepped in and stopped multiple trades on the bias of competitive balance. Financials are competitive also and at some point you’re as a league allowing some people to skirt the rules financially to a detriment to the league. To where yeah it’s NJ winning the title or something went wrong with NJ and they had to many injuries. 

• Premium Member
43 minutes ago, timebomb said:

Legal trades have been stopped in the past. Chris Paul to LA was killed because of competitive balance.

No, that's just not true. NOP was under league ownership at the time so the other owners had a direct say in their operations. It was an unusual circumstance.

According to multiple reports, the NBA, led by commissioner David Stern, vetoed a Chris Paul to LA Lakers trade in 2011 because of pressure from various NBA team owners.

Cleveland Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert and Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban vehemently expressed their displeasure over the proposed trade. That played a pivotal role in the trade getting rejected.

Gilbert went as far as sending a letter to commissioner Stern, who then wilted under the goading of the owners and vetoed the trade. At that point, the New Orleans Hornets were owned by the league itself, with 29 other team owners acting as shareholders.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, timebomb said:

NBA has stepped in and stopped multiple trades on the bias of competitive balance.

Which other trades did they stop for 'competitive balance'

They've vetoed trades/deals for trying to circumvent the salary cap rules like Joe Smith in Minny and Juwan Howard to the Heat.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, timebomb said:

I’m going to figure out how to post articles at some point but anyone can look up Chris Paul LA competitive balance on google and figure it out. The … NBA has stepped in and stopped multiple trades on the bias of competitive balance. Financials are competitive also and at some point you’re as a league allowing some people to skirt the rules financially to a detriment to the league. To where yeah it’s NJ winning the title or something went wrong with NJ and they had to many injuries. 

This is simply untrue.  The league has NEVER stopped a trade for reasons of "competitive balance", financial or otherwise.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kg01 said:

This is simply untrue.  The league has NEVER stopped a trade for reasons of "competitive balance", financial or otherwise.

I remember Stern stopping the Cp3 to Lakers trade. He stuck his nose in there. Maybe that’s what they had us believe but that was the news I heard also. I was actually happy about it because you never want the Lakers or Celts to get good players. Plus I think Gasol was going to the Rockets etc.

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

They've vetoed trades/deals for trying to circumvent the salary cap rules like Joe Smith in Minny and Juwan Howard to the Heat.

Here's another:

The NBA Commissioner has the power to veto any trade, but more than likely he would only do it for two reasons. One, the trade violates a league rule (i.e. cap space), or two, the transaction violates either the letter or the spirit of the CBA. There has been precedent for this before, in 2008 the New Jersey Nets attempted to trade Jerry Stackhouse along with Jason Kidd to the Dallas Mavericks, but the league vetoed the trade because Stackhouse revealed that Dallas planned to waive him, and that New Jersey would just re-sign him.

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Well that’s probably one I’m thinking of.. Idk. I said I’ll have to do some research but I think it’s obvious in the end what this trade essentially is NJ gets to upgrade without giving up anything on the court or financially and any team in the league who’s going for it would love to add Aldridge and Millsap and still pay no tax. I promise you Milwaukee or any team outside NY or LA is ever sniffing these kinds of deals. 

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, timebomb said:

Well that’s probably one I’m thinking of.. Idk. I said I’ll have to do some research but I think it’s obvious in the end what this trade essentially is NJ gets to upgrade without giving up anything on the court or financially and any team in the league who’s going for it would love to add Aldridge and Millsap and still pay no tax. I promise you Milwaukee or any team outside NY or LA is ever sniffing these kinds of deals. 

The Nets are still above the Luxury Tax threshold by at least $30 million and they are also repeat offenders. They have reduced their bill but they still have to pay the tax.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The Nets are still above the Luxury Tax threshold by at least $30 million and they are also repeat offenders. They have reduced their bill but they still have to pay the tax.

They should pay more. Or if I’m this Pistons or any other team give me something of value way above 4 second round picks! You’re odds on favorite to win a championship and you wouldn’t sign so and so if not for the tax bill… first round picks please! 

Edited by timebomb

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, timebomb said:

They should pay more. Or if I’m this Pistons or any other team give me something of value way above 4 second round picks! You’re odds on favorite to win a championship and you wouldn’t sign so and so if not for the tax bill… first round picks please! 

Sure the Pistons can ask for firsts but the appropriate value is assigned to the $10 mil per year that Detroit is actually paying and not the value of the Nets tax bill. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Anyone else surprised the Pistons threw in the towel on Doumboya so soon?

Had been widely speculated in what I'd read that the previous front office that drafted him thought much more highly of him than the new GM and his crew.

3 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Do you think the Nets are going to try to work with the kid or is this just a move to clear Jordan?

Word is that they've already decided to part with Alize Johnson, their lone non-guaranteed contract. With Aldridge coming on board, seems they'll have one more cut to make. Would think it's more likely they'll lose Okafor, but that's just my guess.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Agree with you guys on the Paul trade - it was done not for "competitive balance" but because the Hornets were owned by the league and the other league owners saw the trade as lopsided in favor of the Lakers and thus a waste of league assets.  They wanted the trade to bring back what they believed would be better assets to let them sell the team for a higher price.  It was akin to an owner vetoing a trade because he thought it wasn't in his team's best interest.

On Sekou, he has definitely struggled badly so far which doesn't bode well for his future but I do have to just point out that he and Sharife Cooper are both 20 years old so I think burying him is a bit premature given his age.  I would bet that Brooklyn management wanted him in the deal as a potential source of long-term depth and upside if he can get his game on track.  If not, he is an easy cut in the future.  Nice gamble for them.

37 minutes ago, kg01 said:

In news that surely pleases that grumpy cat, @bleachkit, I read somewhere that RJ Barrett has grown 2 inches over the summer.

No word yet on how many pounds of pure muscle he's added.

Either way, just solidifies the fact that he's a PF and not a guard.

Amazing how players are the same height all year and then magically grow over the summer after the season ends. Scientists should study this unique phenomenon. 

• Haha 3