• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2021 into 2022 OFFSEASON News and Notes

RandomFan

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I'm not sure how a bunch of these guys are going to go play Olympic ball now and then turn around and be back in training camp.   

I'm pleased now that Trae is not on the team and Serbia got bounced, so no Bogi.  My guess is when Gallo returns he will be seeing limited minutes in the early part on the season.  It will give OO more run so I'm good with it.

• Like 3

Also, I posted this in the Onyeka thread but I don't think it got enough attention. Onyeka is a future PROBLEM for other teams. 

https://premiumhoops.org/2021/07/05/onyeka-okongwus-rare-movement-skills-and-high-touch-offense/

Read the whole thing, it's excellent, but the last two paragraphs from the article: 

The next step for Okongwu is adding the playmaking. He’s probably never going to be a guy you run things through at the elbow or high post but he doesn’t need to be. The key step is proactively and decisively manipulating the tag man to hit open shooters, and passing out of double teams in the post. These will become more plentiful as he increases the scoring arsenal and becomes seen as more of a threat to the defense. It’s likely more important he has the touch than the natural passing ability because playmaking becomes more fruitful and more simple the better a scorer you are.

The Hawks have been built around the fact Trae Young can execute pretty much every counter against any type of coverage. If you trap him, he kicks it to a variety of roll-men or excellent shooters who can then get you back into rotation if you close out well. If you drop, he hits the floater. This is all fueled by the fact he can legitimately pull up from 30-feet. There is a chance Okongwu can be the same on the defensive end. As in, he could be able to execute pretty much any type of coverage you want him to. He’s fluid plays bigger than his overall size and has some enticing defensive movement skills that you don’t see from many big men. It’s an A Plus in roster construction at the moment from Travis Schlenk. Having two cornerstones who are flexible from a tactical perspective is a huge advantage.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

good read

33 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Ayton is way better than Capela.

You'll notice a lot less of those lopez tip outs because he actually boxes him out. Capela has no situational awareness. Ayton with his 15th rebound in the 3rd rn.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

We don't have good dribble penetration outside Hunter and Trae. Cam flashes and Bogi when healthy can attack closeouts well

Mostly agreed. But don't forget about Heurter. And a healthy Bogi is probably #2 behind Trae in that regard. I think we see Cam take that leap next season. 

Edited by RandomFan
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Carmine said:

You'll notice a lot less of those lopez tip outs because he actually boxes him out. Capela has no situational awareness. Ayton with his 15th rebound in the 3rd rn.

Cap got completely owned in the Milwaukee series. He actually got owned in the Philly series too, but not quite as badly.