• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2021 into 2022 OFFSEASON News and Notes

RandomFan

9 hours ago, ATLHawks3 said:

I agree but he's our best option right now, until OO outplays him anyway.

I was so very impressed with OO this postseason.  Will be interested to see his progression in Year 2.  But just for comparison, here are he and Clint on a per 36 basis for the playoffs. 

Clint:  11.5pts / 12.8reb (3.9 O, 8.9 D) / 1.2blk / 59.1% TS / 43.6% FT

OO:  10.4pts / 10.5reb (4.6 O, 5.9 D) / 2.8blk / 59.6% TS / 66.7% FT

Not too much of a difference between the two for the playoffs.  Of course, Clint was almost always going against the Embiid's and Lopez's whereas OO at least sprinkled in some Bobby Portis and Dwight Howard.  So context matters, but still.  OO, for a rookie, was really impressive to me.  

The questions I have are as follows:

1. Is this who Clint is in the playoffs or did he just have a bad run of matchups the last two series?  His per 36 numbers in the regular season are substantially better than this overall. That said, his last playoff run with the Rockets was very similar to this year after having more playoff success early on in his career with them. 
  2. How much progression will we see from OO with a full summer to workout and train? Remember he was hurt coming into the season and did not have any training or workouts. 
  3. How risk averse will Travis and Tony be?  Do they just "shore up the edges" and run it back?  Or do they take a chance on OO and flip Clint for someone else if the opportunity presents?  

Should be a fun offseason.  

Edited by REHawksFan
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Team USA Select Roster, surprise surprise, no young Hawks included here either. They went and grabbed our old friend John Jenkins from Europe over offering a player like Cam or OO a spot to train. This roster is so trash

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2021/07/m-select-team.aspx

This roster was leaked a week or two ago.

2 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Looks like Lou is wanting to resign for a 2 year contract? 

Hard pass for me on Lou.  I really like him as a vet that can sometimes provide instant offense. But that sometimes is going to get further and further away, imo.  I'd be open to a one year deal, but I'm not doing 2 unless the 2nd is not guarantee or a team option.  

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Hard pass for me on Lou.  I really like him as a vet that can sometimes provide instant offense. But that sometimes is going to get further and further away, imo.  I'd be open to a one year deal, but I'm not doing 2 unless the 2nd is not guarantee or a team option.  

Yeah, I'm torn on this one. I'm not at hard pass levels yet, mainly because of what he meant to Trae and OO, among others; and also the shambles our backup PG situation is currently. 

It really depends on what we attempt to do at backup PG. If we draft one at #20, then I'd probably be in favor of bringing back Lou for 1 more season, with a team option for a 2nd year. Only because trusting a rookie as the backup PG on a finals contender sounds like a recipe for disaster. 

But if we are going to try and sign a legit backup PG to a multiple year deal, then yeah, no room or need for Lou at that point, other than for the vet leadership which probably isn't worth what he'll want for a contract. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

Any one remember who the Hawks drafted when we passed up Chris Paul?  And now, when the Hawks play, we get to see him, time after time, in his commercials.....

Ancient history.  But, he's still playing well, isn't he..

:beathorse:

I try not to think about it. 

Gotta love the then self-proclaimed 'residential basketball expert' making one of the all-time biggest gaffes in NBA Draft history. Well, no we don't...

• Thanks 1

What does Lou Williams offer?  Just remember, his team went to the playoffs after they traded for him.  The Hawks had improvements to their great PG and to their rookie center.  Both give him credit.  

This is what other NBA teams see right now, especially those who didn't make the playoffs.  We should consider this too.  Remember, he could have retired instead of coming here.  He thought about it.  Age may slow us down but it doesn't kill our talents.  

:sun:

Edited by Gray Mule

• Premium Member
On 7/7/2021 at 6:42 AM, Gray Mule said:

Any one remember who the Hawks drafted when we passed up Chris Paul?  And now, when the Hawks play, we get to see him, time after time, in his commercials.....

Ancient history.  But, he's still playing well, isn't he..

:beathorse:

If he wins a championship this year you can put him in the conversation for top 10 all time player, and also pretty much solidifies him as the number 2 PG of all time behind Magic. That's crazy he should have been a Hawk for life. 🤦‍♂️

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If Dunn opts out, I'll be ok bringing Lou back on a 2yr/$5 mil per, Team option deal. He gets Dunn's money.

We shouldn't do a 2 year guaranteed type Rondo deal for Lou.

If Dunn not opting out had a call options contract attached to it, I'd bet my entire net worth on 100x leverage  on it lol. 

• Haha 1

I am looking at all of the metrics and I will say, JC needs to box out more. Clint can as well but he's in the top 6 of all players in the playoffs per game. JC has to do a much better job of it. Also, our wings need to box out. Especially the young wings. Bogi boxes out but Kev, Cam, and Hunter in particular don't. Mays, Hill, and Snell do a good job of box out. 

• Like 1