• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2021 Atlanta Hawks Summer League Thread

NBASupes

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Expected to play is superstar Cam Reddish hot off a tremendous playoff run. He will be a #1 option which we need to see him in this role.

Okongwu is our #2 option. He will be critical 

I expect Mays and Knight to resign and be brought back. 

Bruno will add depth and a lot of mins.

Goodwin if he's back will be the PG unless we draft someone at 20. 

PG likely Goodwin unless he leaves for greener pastures and it's a rookie or random PG instead. 

SG - Mays 

SF - Reddish

PF - Knight

C - Okongwu 

Bruno - 6th man

Others- two 2nd way contract players, and random guys fighting for training camp spots.

Is Goodwin going to be available? His respiratory condition seems serious  

14 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Is Goodwin going to be available? His respiratory condition seems serious  

Idk, he's currently not under contract. Neither is Mays or Knight but they should be sure bets to get extended.

Edited by NBASupes

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Idk, he's currently not under contract. Neither is Mays or Knight but they should be sure bets to get extended.

I thought Goodwin was unguaranteed, I got that wrong. Mays and Knight are on 2way deals, any chance either gets an NBA unguaranteed contract to clear the way for another 2way deal?

51 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

What do you mean? A possible trade?

Oh if I had to guess, they'll be getting a big man shooting coach for him and going to try to convert him to PF where he'd be dominate. Encouraging him to be in the gym all summer working on post moves, 15 ft jumpers and 3 pointers.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, thecampster said:

Oh if I had to guess, they'll be getting a big man shooting coach for him and going to try to convert him to PF where he'd be dominate. Encouraging him to be in the gym all summer working on post moves, 15 ft jumpers and 3 pointers.

Ooooh! That I love to hear. I asked in the Okongwu thread if he can play PF. Be JC's backup as we look to trade Gallo 😀

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Ooooh! That I love to hear. I asked in the Okongwu thread if he can play PF. Be JC's backup as we look to trade Gallo 😀

So he's shown some touch inside 10 feet. Hit a few push shots, etc. Free throw shooting is the best indicator of if someone can develop a 15 foot from the basket game. He shot 63% for the season from the FT line which isn't encouraging but he isn't stiff like Clint from there. So there's hope. My best guess is he was never encouraged to play away from the basket so someone is going to have to build it from scratch (better than breaking down bad habits). I'd be happy if he just adds a mid range game this off season so he can play the backup 4 and we'll work our way out from there. I hate small ball centers (because the best teams in the playoffs have real centers you have to defend).

I'd start with him one some set shot jumpers with no lift (ala Horford) and see what's comfortable from him after he learns the upper body mechanics. If it were me.

Similar story, Clint.  That dude is super stiff. If I were him, I'd spend my entire off season doing Yoga/stretching exercises. Like 2 hours a day. His hands are so stiff, he has no touch on the ball. I'm not buying anyone selling he used to play soccer. I'm hiring a professional Yoga instructor and Clint is forgoing his normal routines. I'm not even trying to teach him to shoot free throws until he loosens up a good bit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

What do you mean? A possible trade?

During his house tour for SLAM, LiAngelo Ball revealed the potential plan to team up with his brothers, and potentially Scott and Okongwu, in the Drew League this summer.

“I’m going to be playing in the Drew League with my brothers. That’s going to be exciting. That’s going to be a show. Damn near our whole high school team, for real. Me, Melo, Zo, Eli (Scott). Big O (Onyeka Okongwu) might play. It’s going to be fun, just all grown up now and coming back together so I’m excited to see what’s going to happen but I know it’s going to be a show for sure.”

Big Baller Brand does have a team in the Drew League this season which is comprised at least partly of players from the now-defunct JBA. LaMelo and Lonzo were spotted in attendance during last week’s games.

Having the three brothers play together seems like a very plausible scenario, especially considering LaVar has spent time as the coach of the BBB team. Scott, who is entering his final season at Loyola Marymount, could also rather easily get clearance.

The one hangup would be Okongwu, who is currently playing in the Eastern Conference finals. The Drew League season typically runs into August, which means the NBA season would end but the turnaround would be quick for Okongwu to join a Drew League contest.

Having all three brothers team up again would be a fun proposition regardless whether Scott and Okongwu join. After a year off, the Drew League could really be heating up again.

Edited by RandomFan
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, thecampster said:

Similar story, Clint.  That dude is super stiff. If I were him, I'd spend my entire off season doing Yoga/stretching exercises. Like 2 hours a day. His hands are so stiff, he has no touch on the ball. I'm not buying anyone selling he used to play soccer. I'm hiring a professional Yoga instructor and Clint is forgoing his normal routines. I'm not even trying to teach him to shoot free throws until he loosens up a good bit.

Thank you swami salami. Next would be losing him to PETA on a yoga retreat!  Loosen the guy up don’t make him a love child from the 60’s for god’s sake! :upsidedown: