• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Our own Tony Ressler talking about the team and the future

Sothron

• Premium Member

For 2021-22, even re-signing Collins, we should be able to avoid the tax threshold.

For 2022-23, we'll likely slice off $15m as a consequence of parting with Gallo, and there should be some decent increase in the tax line, but Trae's $28(ish)m will make it really difficult to stay in economy class. And that's why I doubt the talk about giving Kevin an extension--it's almost necessary to repeat the JC treatment.

For 2023-24, someone significant is going to be on another team. Capela's current contract will be done. And the conventional guess would be that BogBog will also be moved. That's $36m plausibly off the books that will help pay for maybe two of Huerter, Cam and/or Dre.

All of that to affirm what we already knew... this 2021-22 season is going to represent our best chance to win the trophy.

Which... in turn... affirms this that we already knew... that's why we can't be satisfied to imagine a #20 pick as our #2 PG. We need that job to go to a solid vet legitimately capable of producing when Trae's getting a breather. It's critical.

The $8-$13m in cap space needs to be used for that purpose, though it may be better to go the trade route than the signing route.

The #20 pick might conceivably yield some unexpected second tier player in free fall that Schlenk has to jump on as he did Collins and Huerter. But if not, economically speaking, Schlenk must be taking calls on the pick. It makes little sense to waste the first year of a rookie scale contract when the strong likelihood is that that player will barely see the floor, and so much more sense to punt the pick to a future year or trade back for multiple 2nds that permit you to pick up some European talents that you can have time to develop before they come over.

The dream is to be able to develop a new addition (or two) to the rotation every year that you're losing a Gallo, a Capela or a BogBog.

• Like 2

Next season, we should be able to keep everyone we want.

In fact, the only players I wouldnt bring back is Tony Snell and Brandon Goodwin. Want to use Snell & Lou's cap hold to give Collins his improved contract.

I'll like to bring back Lou and Solo if they accept veteran minimum deals.

Snell & Goodwin's roster spot is to be replaced through the draft.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Ressler spending money.

Seeing it as a lump sum

giphy.gif

Kudos to Bird for pulling the “Scrooged” gif out of her feathers. My favorite Christmas movie 🎩 

• Like 2

Nope.  We didn't do it.  Hawks didn't already spend all that money.  They now have, under contract, those players who will receive the amount over time.  They will have enough income to cover these, I'm sure.  There will be a lot more fans present.  Remember our record.  With the new TV contract bringing in mega $$$ in the future, don't panic.  We're good!

:smug:

• Like 2

• Moderators
55 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Nope.  We didn't do it.  Hawks didn't already spend all that money.  They now have, under contract, those players who will receive the amount over time.  They will have enough income to cover these, I'm sure.  There will be a lot more fans present.  Remember our record.  With the new TV contract bringing in mega $$$ in the future, don't panic.  We're good!

:smug:

Like I tell my kids about these contracts: just think how much the owner is making.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tony Speaks 2021-2022 Addition

https://theathletic.com/2905894/2021/10/25/hawks-owner-tony-ressler-explains-his-desire-to-turn-atlanta-into-destination-for-nbas-best-players/

Ressler said there were many inside the Hawks organization who felt if the team was fully healthy against the Milwaukee Bucks in the Eastern Conference finals, they would have had “a damn good shot” at making it to the NBA Finals. He also believes that most of the organization believes that if the team can stay healthy throughout the season, that “damn good shot” also applies this year.

“We expect to be contenders, man,” Ressler said. “We expect to be really good. We hope to be really good, and we’re going to see how it plays out.”

Ressler was asked if he feels like the current roster is one that could win a title as is or if he feels like it needs another proven star to take the Hawks over the top, and he said he feels like this group could win a championship. That’s an interesting answer because almost a year ago, he said he felt like it was necessary for several of the young players to go from good to great in order for the team to possibly win it all — a sign that the front office has faith in players like Collins, Hunter, Huerter, Bogdan Bogdanovic and Cam Reddish possibly taking leaps to get to that true contender level for the Hawks. Young is already there, but it’s still to be determined on who else could potentially become one of the top players in the NBA.

“Do I think we’re the best team in the NBA today? I don’t know,” Ressler said. “I think we can compete with anyone. If there’s anything I’ve observed, particularly in the NBA, when the players know they can win, they play differently. Our players know they can win. A year and a half ago, two years ago, I’m not quite sure I would’ve said that to you. I hope I wouldn’t have. I think today they know they can win on any given night against any given team. Two seasons ago and maybe even at the beginning of last season, I’m not sure they did. I think they think that now. I think that’s a difference. We’re going to see. As I like to say, every team is now playing and game planning for us with who we have and what we’re going to do with the depth of our roster. It’s not like we’re going to be a surprise to anyone.”

He thinks the team as currently constructed can win a championship.  That's why he's paying these guys.

Edited by marco102
  • Like 3

• 11 months later...
19 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The good thing is this core isn't too young to not compete and definitely has been good years ahead of them if they can "improve each year". I'm excited about this year because I feel like the roster is getting pretty well rounded except for a small drop off in rebounding which isn't as relevant to nba titles anymore.

I did a deep dive into stats on NBA title winners and they had at least 2 consistent 20+ point a game players and at least a 15+ point a game guy. 

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 3

• Premium Member

Coming from the business world, what’s the biggest thing you don’t know about owning a sports team?

The fundamental bet is you’re hiring 18-, 19-, 20-year-olds to see how they evolved at 24, 25, 26, 27 … 30. In parenting, kids grow up at different ages. That’s true in the NBA, too. Some kids are unbelievable at 20, some at 24, some at 32. I don’t know another business like that. And injuries impact you. If there’s one thing I’ve learned over seven years, there’s not one thing that gets you greatness. There are many. Luck is one of them. There’s drafting well, signing free agents well, having a great (training) staff, a great coaching staff, a great business staff. Having a fan base that knows you’re trying your best at every one of those is relevant. We have 29 competitors all trying to do what we do better.

After the season it was believed you would pursue a strong second scoring option and ballhandler, and that led you to Dejounte Murray. Was there much debate over that trade, given the assets you gave up?

Yes, there was a lot of debate. Dejounte is a great player, and we gave up a lot to get him. There wasn’t debate about the quality of Dejounte and what he would bring to the Hawks. And now, our starting five, I think we have a good team. Last night was only one game, but it did say, “Hey, we have four guys who can give you 20 points any night.” And if that’s an aberration, then we screwed up, but we don’t think it’s an aberration. We’re deeper and better than we were last year.

When you realize it’s going to take giving up three first-round picks, included two unprotected, to make the deal, is part of you thinking, “We might be mortgaging the future, but we need to win now”?

I try not to speak that way. That’s not good business talk. Good business talk is, “Is this a good trade for us now?” Not, “We have to win now.” As you point out, that’s a lot for any player, and it’s worthy of evaluation and discussion. After losing in the first round of the playoffs, we saw a lot of things we can do better, and we thought Dejounte would help us do many of those things. And we do still have some picks for the future, so we can still draft young players for the future. We’re not out of that part of the business.

Do you have a sense of what the team is capable of?

The East is going to be really competitive, like eight, nine or 10 really good teams, and I think we’re going to be in the mix with every single one of them. We expect to make the playoffs and not be a play-in team. (Two years ago) the guys got on the court and thought they were going to win every game. I’m not completely sure we had that feeling last year, and I’m very confident we’re starting to have that this year. This team knows what they’re capable of. I think people are confident but not arrogant. But we’ll see where we are after 20 game

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 11 months later...
  • Premium Member

This is the main reason why I'm just not as excited as I usually am about the Hawks. Ressler is very, very wealthy. And yet he refuses to pay the LT. Yes, his son has supposedly talked him into paying the LT....but we traded JC for nothing, we have a massive TPE the team has no plans on using and we are WELL under the LT number.

I'm not believing we pay the LT until we actually do. 

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Sothron said:

This is the main reason why I'm just not as excited as I usually am about the Hawks. Ressler is very, very wealthy. And yet he refuses to pay the LT. Yes, his son has supposedly talked him into paying the LT....but we traded JC for nothing, we have a massive TPE the team has no plans on using and we are WELL under the LT number.

I'm not believing we pay the LT until we actually do. 

That money is going directly to Jami’s makeup 💄 vanity.

• Haha 2