• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Backup PG

sillent

We need a vet as a backup PG for 2 reasons, to cover efficiently a Trae injury and for playoff performance, we are going for the ring next year. A rookie is not going to get that performance next year.

At the same time we need to  realize this draft is deep at PG and we can get very good value at 20. That means we could have a real good backup on rookie contract the last 2 years of his contract allowing us to spend money on other positions. I would select Springer, Mann, Butler or Cooper, in that order. We could even select another one at 48, when a draft is so deep at a position some prospects can slide.

For vet help I would consider McConnell or Cameron Payne.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

We can either sign a vet PG or trade for one.

In no particular order and who maybe in our price range:

FAs: Patti Mills, TJ McConnell, Alex Caruso

Trades: Tyus Jones, Aaron Holiday, DJ Augustine, DeAnthony Melton, Derrick White and D. Murray (added since rumors).

• Thanks 1

Could we aim for D. Rose as Traes backup PG?  Positives:  Playoff experience, scoring and playmaker, limited minutes due to his age but keeps his body fresh as Trae will soak up the minutes.  After playing NY in the playoffs, D.Rose was gassed.  He wants a ring and I think signing with ATL brings him this opportunity while still earning minutes. 

Hawks GM has been money with draft picks so I’m assuming he’ll take the best PG available for future grooming 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, hawkster911 said:

Could we aim for D. Rose as Traes backup PG?  Positives:  Playoff experience, scoring and playmaker, limited minutes due to his age but keeps his body fresh as Trae will soak up the minutes.  After playing NY in the playoffs, D.Rose was gassed.  He wants a ring and I think signing with ATL brings him this opportunity while still earning minutes. 

Hawks GM has been money with draft picks so I’m assuming he’ll take the best PG available for future grooming 

Sure, I just think he's happy playing for Thibs in NYK amd they have more FA money to offer him.

34 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Sure, I just think he's happy playing for Thibs in NYK and they have more FA money to offer him.

Well, Atlanta can make sure he's well paid by NY by expressing real interest in him !!

😜

• Haha 2

On 7/9/2021 at 7:42 PM, BrazilianHawk said:

My thoughts exactly.

We need to take advantage of cheap production as the team starts getting more and more expensive. That’s why it is important that we nail this pick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Sure, I just think he's happy playing for Thibs in NYK amd they have more FA money to offer him.

True.  And, like Rose seems to like playing for a particular coach, folks should recognize Cam Payne only plays well for Monty Williams.  Has been absolute trash for anyone else.

I'm a big fan of Murray but it sounds like Spurs fans were frustrated by his attitude and inability to run an offense.  Just food for thought.  I might still dangle the 20 pick for him or white.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, kg01 said:

I'm a big fan of Murray but it sounds like Spurs fans were frustrated by his attitude and inability to run an offense.  Just food for thought.  I might still dangle the 20 pick for him or white.

As a starter running the offense it would be an issue, but off the bench I'd take the chance (will he be a happy camper doing that though?) 

To make the money work we'd have to dump both Dunn (opt in $5 mil) and Bruno ($1.7) to clear their $6.7 mil, unless SAS will take them in trade with some seconds.

We have $8 mil in capspace so that gives us $14.7 million, a difference of 700k - 900K difference between the Murray and White contracts.  I think we can only be 100K over.

To make this work, we can offer Mays or Knight ( if SAS is interested in either player) a non-guaranteed contract for 3 years at $1 mil to make up the trade difference (with a 100k guarantee if waived).

Again - all contingent on SAS being interested in pick #20. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Cam Payne only plays well for Monty Williams.  Has been absolute trash for anyone else.

No it’s ever since Campayne spoke with Vince Carter, Vince said he straightened him out on a Hawks telecast earlier this year.

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

might still dangle the 20 pick for him

I don’t love Dejounte’s tude. Having said that I saw a few games last year where he was being bottled up and got really annoyed and just started balling out. 

If he’s fiery in the game that’s cool but not getting into teammates. I would trade Dejounte for #20 if it works in our overall salary scheme. 

• Like 2

You can forget about Murray, no way he plays backup role behind Trae, he is a starter un the league and a very good one. Derrick White might be a possibility but the Spurs are not stupid. Best chance is to sign a FA and McConnell, Payne, Rose, Mills... are the best options

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

Anyone remember who the old man wanted in the draft? Kings got him.  Tyrese Haliburton.

Who you calling old?!?

Oh.

Well, in that case... giphy.gif ... me too.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member

White really would be the too-good-to-be-true option. Perfect fit in terms of what he brings to the court.

He's an offensive producer that McConnell is not.

He's a player you can anticipate will be around for the entirety of this Hawks championship run that we're all excited to believe is happening... that Rose is not, and that Mills is not, and that LouWill is not.

I'd not even thought to consider him as an option, and still really find it hard to believe that SAS is at all serious about moving him.

The problem on our side is mainly in getting a deal to work. Can't get him using cap space. Have to get him using trade exception. And to do that, it's not enough to send Dunn and Bruno out... gotta do a bigger deal that includes one more piece, which would necessarily be one that very few of us would want to see dealt.

The other problem on our side is that he's a perfect fit in terms of what he brings to the court... when he's on the court, of course, and he's been one to have more than his share of nuisance injuries over his career so far.

If White were to be dealt, almost w/o question that would be one of SAS' more compelling reasons for letting him go. And it's not as-if that's the kind of thing that a team that just spent a year in Injury Hell like we did can ignore.

So, given all of that... love the idea... but someone would have to show me a trade where whatever we're sending out salary-wise is justified by White plus whatever other piece it is that we're getting back. And in all of that, remember, White's set to make $15m, $16m, $17.5m, and almost $19m in the four years we'd have him, so there's consequences to the overall salary outlook that would be sobering.

Until then, I'm sitting here content to believe the best of all worlds remains Kevin Pangos... aka, Vanilla Ice... high offensive producer... likely, very reasonable salary over the course of the, maybe, 2-3 year commitment.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

Hi!  Anyone remember who the old man wanted in the draft?  Kings got him.  Tyrese Haliburton.  If 
Atlanta could trade for him now, I would be content.  Dunn + this year's draft picks, both of them and whatever else we could scrape up.  Bruno?  I know.  Not likely to happen but I can dream.

:sun:

Oh wow, he would be a great fit for sure. Haliburton is real. Great call Gramps they said the shot wouldn’t translate but they been saying that for years. Even Marion made his shots and so did Childress and they shot funky. Nice call again Gramps.

ps I don’t know of any old guy just a young Clint Eastwood/John Wayne guy we call Gramps! 🥳 

Edited by Spud2nique
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, sturt said:

White really would be the too-good-to-be-true option. Perfect fit in terms of what he brings to the court.

He's an offensive producer that McConnell is not.

He's a player you can anticipate will be around for the entirety of this Hawks championship run that we're all excited to believe is happening... that Rose is not, and that Mills is not, and that LouWill is not.

I'd not even thought to consider him as an option, and still really find it hard to believe that SAS is at all serious about moving him.

The problem on our side is mainly in getting a deal to work. Can't get him using cap space. Have to get him using trade exception. And to do that, it's not enough to send Dunn and Bruno out... gotta do a bigger deal that includes one more piece, which would necessarily be one that very few of us would want to see dealt.

The other problem on our side is that he's a perfect fit in terms of what he brings to the court... when he's on the court, of course, and he's been one to have more than his share of nuisance injuries over his career so far.

If White were to be dealt, almost w/o question that would be one of SAS' more compelling reasons for letting him go. And it's not as-if that's the kind of thing that a team that just spent a year in Injury Hell like we did can ignore.

So, given all of that... love the idea... but someone would have to show me a trade where whatever we're sending out salary-wise is justified by White plus whatever other piece it is that we're getting back. And in all of that, remember, White's set to make $15m, $16m, $17.5m, and almost $19m in the four years we'd have him, so there's consequences to the overall salary outlook that would be sobering.

Until then, I'm sitting here content to believe the best of all worlds remains Kevin Pangos... aka, Vanilla Ice... high offensive producer... likely, very reasonable salary over the course of the, maybe, 2-3 year commitment.

Nice, seems you’ve followed dude.  I don’t know Derrick White from a can of paint, I don’t think I’ve watched a full Spurs game since Kawhi left, even against the Hawks.  

Glancing at his numbers he had an insane FT rate of .606 as a rookie which exploded his win share per 48.  I don’t expect him to ever get back that high but the style of attacking the paint is certainly there, Nate should pull it back out no problem.  The career .522 eFG and nearly a block per game at 6’4”is all I need to see to welcome him into the fold.  His on/off splits are wonderful, has played a healthy dose of 3 positions, and has nice corner 3 splits.  You got me wanting to follow this kid now lol (but he must get a haircut and shave first).  His injury history is troubling though especially with Trae’s ankles but the fit and versatility is crystal clear.  I wouldn’t worry about the grumblings of his attitude.  Pop is kinda worn-out and the chemistry of this team is solid.

I’m hoping Mays can take a leap and have great competition with Goodie for the 3rd spot.  I love Dunn’s defensive prowess but it can’t begin to account for his putrid offensive exploits: a 97 rating for a guy who’s started 126 games is overseas level.  I was so excited for dude but if he’s gonna be oft-injured he definately ain’t it. The PG luxury we had with Teague/ Dennis/ Mack was awesome with all 3 shooting over .400 with a combined 2.5:1 assist to turn and solid defense.  I want that back.

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

(but he must get a haircut and shave first)

😆

25 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

The problem on our side is mainly in getting a deal to work. Can't get him using cap space. Have to get him using trade exception. And to do that, it's not enough to send Dunn and Bruno out... gotta do a bigger deal that includes one more piece, which would necessarily be one that very few of us would want to see dealt. The other problem on our side is that he's a perfect fit in terms of what he brings to the court... when he's on the court, of course, and he's been one to have more than his share of nuisance injuries over his career so far. If White were to be dealt, almost w/o question that would be one of SAS' more compelling reasons for letting him go. And it's not as-if that's the kind of thing that a team that just spent a year in Injury Hell like we did can ignore.