• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Backup PG

sillent

2 minutes ago, niremetal said:

Maybe I'm wrong about his shot. Starting at 1:18...dang. Hopefully that translates to game action. Guess we'll find out in Summer League.

Fair point--but our expectations this next year are significantly higher than they were last year, which is why Goody won't be coming back as our 3rd PG.

The bar has been raised, but realistically he is not gonna kill us by occupying a roster spot. If he isn't capable of helping the team win games this season, we've still got Trae, Dunn and Mays on the roster currently to play point as well as other moves to be made in free agency or trades. I think it's well worth it for us to try and get him on a 3 year deal so we have control with him. Otherwise if you make him a two-way and he exceeds expectations, he'll be gone to the highest bidder and we won't have anything to show for him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

This is what Schlenk was talking about that he now hits his shots with more fluidity than during the season.

I didn't see that quote--got a link?

• Premium Member

Wether Cooper is signed to the 15 man roster or not will depend entirely on what happens in FAcy at PG.

No sense starting his NBA contract early if he won't see meaningful minutes in season 1.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

Lou is not a pg… we need a solid backup point guard 

Checking last night’s draft notes, scratching head, casting side stink-eye 🤨

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, capstone21 said:

Are you referring to our second round pick?  He is a project … He won’t be ready for a season or two.  

The only other D-1 PG to average 20/8 in the last quarter century, other than one Rayford Trae Young. He’s our backup PG.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, niremetal said:

spending a full-on roster spot is risky if we have title-run aspirations

Some people recognize just how critical it is that we contend this and the next season. Some appreciably less so.

That's the key difference in approach.

For those of us who do place monumental priority on getting over the hump now, the prism through which we look at everything is "who is the best asset for post season 21-22."

Have to face reality. Practically every other team in the league passed on Cooper at least once, and the majority, twice, and some, three times.

He's got some good things going for him, but in the same way that Parcells famously said, "you are what your record says you are"... "you are what #48 says you are." Or more precisely put where it concerns this thread, "you are not (at least not yet) ready to contribute in any meaningful way in your first season."

That to say, if it comes down to Cooper--this Cooper, not the Cooper that might develop in a year or two or three--or LouWill being the 3rd PG, or Mays being the 3rd PG... LouWill is easily the choice to be on a post season roster.... then Mays... then Cooper.

Indeed, other than Jalen who practically must be part of the back 5 of our depth chart, we really should want and anticipate all four other slots to be filled by vets.

And again, whether one agrees with him or not, Schlenk's comments reflect that reality.

• Like 1

• Admin
Just now, hazer said:

The only other D-1 PG to average 20/8 in the last quarter century, other than one Rayford Trae Young. He’s our backup PG.

He will not be our backup this year.  I see a lot of d league for him to get stronger, learn how to defend and how to shoot.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

To no one in particular...

One can be bullish on a #48 pick's future and even imagine he'll develop quickly. But no one should be self-deceived that there's some thought to giving Cooper the #3 slot, let alone the #2 slot. It might not be what you want to hear, but the horse's mouth is telling us that the days of playing kids on the NBA roster in hopes that they can accelerate their growth are over. Listen if you dare.

• Thanks 3

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, niremetal said:

Guess we'll find out in Summer League.

I'll say this much in his favor... Cooper is the kind of player that tends to light it up in Summer League. PGs as a rule, because they have the ball in their hands so much anyhow, get an advantage just going-in as far as making a strong impression is concerned. Some make the wrong kind of strong impression, of course. But those games are 1/2, if not 3/4s street-ball, with some NBA principles stirred into the mix. A player with Cooper's vision should thrive, really should.

Having said that... the sober mind will keep calm and take that for what it is, much like one should take a single workout session where Cooper may have shot good-enough with some healthy skepticism that it will translate into even preseason games, let alone real games.

There's a lot to like. But right now, he's essentially a two-inches taller version of the 34th pick of the 2016 draft... Tyler Ulis.

This is going to be a process.

Who’s taking my avatar bet that Coop will be our backup PG before the end of this upcoming season?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member

Who's taking my avatar bet that the Cooper will be offered a two-way contract instead of given a slot on the 15-man from the git-go? (... ie, something that has to be decided on the front end, not later.)

I agree that we should look for a vet backup PG to sign in Free Agency for next season. But that doesn't mean that we should sign Cooper to a 2-way deal. The upside for us is limited in a 2-way deal because Sharife could just bounce after one year with us showing his amazing playmaking abilities in the G-League.

Sign him to that Bruno deal, or a standard rookie contract where the first 2 years are guaranteed and having team options on the last 2 years. I believe he could be a very good trade asset in the future when it is clear that he'll need his own team, and we could possibly get a haul for him when that time comes.

• Like 1

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, hazer said:

Who’s taking my avatar bet that Coop will be our backup PG before the end of this upcoming season?

5 minutes ago, sturt said:

Who's taking my avatar bet that the Cooper will be offered a two-way contract instead of given a slot on the 15-man from the git-go? (... ie, something that has to be decided on the front end, not later.)

Seems like there is ripe potential for a bet one way or the other here (or both ways).  :stirthepot:

• Haha 3