Backup PG

sillent

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, hazer said:

It’s simple: Coop will be the backup PG before the season ends 👏 

I stated my terms for that bet--take 'em or leave 'em 😉

26 minutes ago, niremetal said:

I stated my terms for that bet--take 'em or leave 'em 😉

I’m the one who first offered the Coop bet, whoever wants to take it take it: I say he ends up our backup PG before the end of the season, period. I’ll happily lose if we end up drafting an awesome vet like TJ and he succeeds, relegating Coop to 3rd string.

Some are trying to overthink it. FFS, our backup PGs have been Goodwin and Rondo and Lou. It’s not a stretch that the only other D-1 PG in the last quarter century to average 20/8 besides Trae can work himself into the backup PG slot by season’s end.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member

Just watched the presser.

Thought I might hear Cooper sounding like he had a bit of a chip on his shoulder, but there wasn't really that. Was hoping there would be, actually. But then again, I did hear someone who sounds somewhat more mature and comfortable with himself than I'd anticipated. Initial reaction is that it's easy to imagine this kid will be around for awhile, one way or the other.

• Like 1

Speaking of possible backup PGs, Hollinger talked about some potential players in his post draft discussion about SAC:

Worst fit: Davion Mitchell, Sacramento

I had Mitchell lower on my board (16th) than where Sacramento took him at No. 9, but several analysts I respect disagree with me. On talent, I’m not going to kill the Kings for taking Mitchell.

Here’s where it gets odd though: This might be the most crowded situation a lottery pick has ever walked into. Mitchell is a 6-foot point guard, which is interesting because the Kings have another point guard signed to a max contract for the next five years in De’Aaron Fox, and he’s not big enough to slide up to the two. Behind Fox, the Kings have a talented combo-guard they just drafted in the lottery a year ago in Tyrese Haliburton. Just breaking through those two to get some run will be a challenge for Mitchell.

But wait, there’s more! The Kings also traded two future seconds last year at the trade deadline to acquire Delon Wright, one of the best backup point guards in the league. And they traded another second at the deadline to land Terence Davis from Toronto, a 6-4 combo guard who is a restricted free agent.

Did I mention that the Kings also have another small guard who is their starting two in Buddy Hield? At 6-4, he’s not going to be able to slide up a position, and he’s signed for three more years at over $20 million a pop.

Even before the Mitchell pick, no team had a greater accumulation of sunk costs in small guards than the Kings. Now they’ve air-dropped a lottery pick into a situation where getting even small snippets of playing time may prove difficult.

Perhaps the Kings can trade their way out of this. They’ll need to if they hope to put together a coherent roster because they also have no cap space and no centers — having passed on a compelling candidate in Turkish big man Alperen Sengun to take Mitchell.

Edited by RandomFan
  • Like 2

hace 3 minutos, RandomFan dijo:

Speaking of possible backup PGs, Hollinger talked about some potential players in his post draft discussion about MIN:

I had Mitchell lower on my board (16th) than where Sacramento took him at No. 9, but several analysts I respect disagree with me. On talent, I’m not going to kill the Kings for taking Mitchell.

Here’s where it gets odd though: This might be the most crowded situation a lottery pick has ever walked into. Mitchell is a 6-foot point guard, which is interesting because the Kings have another point guard signed to a max contract for the next five years in De’Aaron Fox, and he’s not big enough to slide up to the two. Behind Fox, the Kings have a talented combo-guard they just drafted in the lottery a year ago in Tyrese Haliburton. Just breaking through those two to get some run will be a challenge for Mitchell.

But wait, there’s more! The Kings also traded two future seconds last year at the trade deadline to acquire Delon Wright, one of the best backup point guards in the league. And they traded another second at the deadline to land Terence Davis from Toronto, a 6-4 combo guard who is a restricted free agent.

Did I mention that the Kings also have another small guard who is their starting two in Buddy Hield? At 6-4, he’s not going to be able to slide up a position, and he’s signed for three more years at over $20 million a pop.

Even before the Mitchell pick, no team had a greater accumulation of sunk costs in small guards than the Kings. Now they’ve air-dropped a lottery pick into a situation where getting even small snippets of playing time may prove difficult.

Perhaps the Kings can trade their way out of this. They’ll need to if they hope to put together a coherent roster because they also have no cap space and no centers — having passed on a compelling candidate in Turkish big man Alperen Sengun to take Mitchell.

I hope there is a way we can trade for Delon Wright

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member

Had been a Delon Wright advocate for a few years. His defense has always been plus, but more recently he's become solid... not really what you'd call an offensive weapon, but solid... let's say... offensive asset.

If he's the best we could do, we could do worse. But he's not ideal. Ideal is an offensive weapon, so that when Trae sits, the offense still has a chance to flow much the same as it does otherwise. It's the same reason McConnell wouldn't be ideal. And just my hunch, but I'd bet an avatar that MIN was working hard to pawn Rubio off to us, but couldn't make the sale.

Derrick Rose or someone in that vein is what is best.

Excited to see what happens.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, hazer said:

I’m the one who first offered the Coop bet, whoever wants to take it take it: I say he ends up our backup PG before the end of the season, period. I’ll happily lose if we end up drafting an awesome vet like TJ and he succeeds, relegating Coop to 3rd string.

We lawyers need our terms well-defined 😛

Seriously, though, the term "backup PG" is not one that is really easy to define. Is he the backup if, technically, he's the #2 PG on the depth chart, but in practice, he never plays because our second-unit PG duties actually end up being split between Bogi and Huerter?  I don't want to lose a bet where a guy is technically our "backup PG" but spends most nights getting DNPs, so I say no. Likewise, I don't consider him our backup if injuries hit and we're forced to play him for that reason alone.

Anyway, that's why I laid out the terms. #lawyersgonnalawyer

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Uuuuum @hazer - Hawks just traded for Delon Wright for backup PG

1 minute ago, kg01 said:

Pull out, @hazer!  Pull out!

I’m out 🙌🤣

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, RandomFan said:

Speaking of possible backup PGs, Hollinger talked about some potential players in his post draft discussion about SAC:

Well we'll well

🤣

• Haha 1