• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How to pick a bust... (or, how would you like your crow sir?)

Wretch

• Premium Member

That old thread is a fascinating look back in time.  I think the general theme of it was no one really trusted Schlenk's long-term vision and severely disrespected his reasoning for picking Trae.  Schlenk never said Trae would be the next Steph Curry but everyone is acting like that's why we picked him -- that was mostly media comparisons and noise. 

Also, Curry comparisons suck in general.  Curry is ELITE at two things, shooting efficiency and off-ball movement.  Trae is much better at breaking down defenses with the ball in his hand and has better vision.  They both will have to learn to be effective defenders given their size, but they're really not comparable players... except the fact they're both undersized PGs that play with a chip on their shoulder.

And I think this is ultimately the quality Schlenk was looking for.  A franchise guy with something to prove, not a prima donna media darling.  This is all hindsight now of course but I do think Schlenk is trying to mimic some of what made the Warriors great, just not player/personnel comps that people always try to force.  He's building a different team from the ground up with a bunch of guys that have the mentality you need to win a championship -- guys that don't externalize failure to the referees or teammates or whatever else, they all focus on what they can control, what they can improve.  That's what you need, and we have that in all of our players, and their personalities/chemistry off the court seems to fit as well.  I don't think it some grand puppet master but the way he's went about the rebuild has been really effective and I think he deserves all the credit in the world.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

That old thread is a fascinating look back in time.  I think the general theme of it was no one really trusted Schlenk's long-term vision and severely disrespected his reasoning for picking Trae.  Schlenk never said Trae would be the next Steph Curry but everyone is acting like that's why we picked him -- that was mostly media comparisons and noise. 

Also, Curry comparisons suck in general.  Curry is ELITE at two things, shooting efficiency and off-ball movement.  Trae is much better at breaking down defenses with the ball in his hand and has better vision.  They both will have to learn to be effective defenders given their size, but they're really not comparable players... except the fact they're both undersized PGs that play with a chip on their shoulder.

And I think this is ultimately the quality Schlenk was looking for.  A franchise guy with something to prove, not a prima donna media darling.  This is all hindsight now of course but I do think Schlenk is trying to mimic some of what made the Warriors great, just not player/personnel comps that people always try to force.  He's building a different team from the ground up with a bunch of guys that have the mentality you need to win a championship -- guys that don't externalize failure to the referees or teammates or whatever else, they all focus on what they can control, what they can improve.  That's what you need, and we have that in all of our players, and their personalities/chemistry off the court seems to fit as well.  I don't think it some grand puppet master but the way he's went about the rebuild has been really effective and I think he deserves all the credit in the world.  

Yeah. It was apparent midway through his rookie season that the comparisons were just wrong. Two totally different players who are each REALLY good at something different.

For me, it wasn't really about Trae as much as it was about giving up Luka. It's so hard to find star talent, even with high picks...and we HAD it and gambled it away. Or so I thought.

For me this is Travis Schlenk crow for sure though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hey guys ... only look at wretch's posts in that thread, mmkay?  No one else's.  Juuust wretch ...

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47hd0twumjosdn9bi701

2 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Boy, I was kind of immature then getting after that rockets guy in the thread 😂 my bad.

Haha, we tag-teamed that dude. 🤠

Good times, good times ...

Edited by kg01
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Here's another gem @Spud2nique ...

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1815034&hilit=Trae+young+bust&start=40

I'm really proud of my exchange with the hater from Oklahoma who's gf was obviously taken by Trae.

Page 5. He said the only thing that will wake you up (about Trae) is time. 🤭 

And it didn’t take very long either I must say.

• Haha 2

• Premium Member

Yeah...sooo....about my hottakes....nothing to see here. :laugh1:.

I was pissed at the trade especially when the rumor was #3 and Baze for #5 Matthews (since Matthews had 1 year left vs Baze's 2).....it got a little more pallatable when the 1st was added.

• Haha 1