• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Which vets do you want on the Hawks (pick 3)

Spud2nique

Which vet(s) are your favs for the Hawks  

40 members have voted

1. 1. BU PG

• TJ McConnell
    • Patty Mills
    • Derrick Rose
    • Alex Caruso
    • Austin Rivers
  2. 2. Backup shooter

• Tim Hardaway Jr.
    • Gary Trent
    • Alec Burks
    • Victor Oladipo
    • Danny Green
  3. 3. Backup Big (PF/C)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2021 at 02:29 PM

47 minutes ago, sturt said:

To no one in particular...

2021-07-13_18-45-42.png

We are too damn deep. That’s our problem. I can see why Dieng wouldn’t wanna be 3rd strong as he’s clearly a backup and at times I wouldn’t hesitate in plugging him in as a starter for 10-20 games during the season god forbid we have another injury. Injuries do happen though.

1 hour ago, niremetal said:

But how is Rose (or McConnell for that matter) going to get minutes in the playoffs unless Trae gets hurt--in which case the odds of a deep playoff run are essentially nil anyway? I just don't see Rose being interested yet in a role where he has no realistic prospect of being on the floor in important moments.

Disagree on McConnell. He simply doesn't have the production (read: scoring ability) necessary to be a starting PG in the modern game, at least not a team that's going to win more than 25 games. He strikes me as being in the same mold as guys like Brevin Knight--solid backup who will give you good minutes off the bench and spot starts, but you're in trouble if you're leaning on him to play major minutes. I think he'd be perfect for a role here as a backup and spot starter, and I don't think he'd get a much better deal elsewhere. 

The other thing to bear in mind is that if Dunn exercises his option, we'll already have one backup PG who can't score. Strikes me that is Coach Nate plans to keep Dunn around, bringing back Lou or finding someone in his mold would be a better fit than a guy like McConnell, just so we have a couple change-of-pace options behind Trae. The closest fit among those options would then be Mills, but his scoring ability has diminished with his foot speed. 

Good stuff. Welcome back.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Here's a thought. 

What about Dunn....  I know he has a reputation but he was able to muster up double digit scoring and 6 apg.   Does he have to be a 3 pt shooter?  Especially if he plays excellent defense?

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Here's a thought. 

What about Dunn....  I know he has a reputation but he was able to muster up double digit scoring and 6 apg.   Does he have to be a 3 pt shooter?  Especially if he plays excellent defense?

Did you not see the lethal thread. He reconvinced me..is that a word? 

• Haha 1

The guy I really want as a backup center would be comparable to a 2007 version of Kendrick Perkins. Any Kendrick clones left in the NBA these days. Just a rugged thick big. I mean I wanted Trez a couple years ago but he acted like a clown 🤡 this past year in LA (Lakers).  But someone with less skill on offense is fine just a bodyguard type for Trae. Okongwu will eventually be that guy but someone even bigger. Like a Bogut.. Kendrick Perkins.. any type like that available this summer for us if we shift and maneuver I realize we don’t have much money to spend outside our own guys but in case something whacky happens where we grew up some cash. 

hace 10 horas, Spud2nique dijo:

We are too damn deep. That’s our problem. I can see why Dieng wouldn’t wanna be 3rd strong as he’s clearly a backup and at times I wouldn’t hesitate in plugging him in as a starter for 10-20 games during the season god forbid we have another injury. Injuries do happen though.

I understand what Sturt is saying but I think we could really offer a role to a 3rd big. For certain matchups, to offer rest to Capela and Okongwu and there are going to be some injuries specially considering Capela and Gallo are injury prone.

I think Dieng could play some PF and I am serious about that, he did with KAT. Share the court with Okongwu covering like of size of Onyeka and offering outside shooting, is a good fit for our offense and he is a good defender, his advanced stats are really good, suggesting he could even start in some games if needed. We need a vet at C.

I really think he could be playing 15-16 mpg with us and that is what he has been playing for other teams last 4 seasons. To be perfectly clear, I want 75% of the 21 mpg Solomon Hill has played this season to go to a 3rd big. Hill has played PF a lot.

• Like 2

What if we traded Capela in a salary dump and sign Dieng for less?

Dieng would be a big body and get his minutes. OO17's minutes would increase. Either one could start depending on match ups.

Use the extra cap space towards keeping the rest of our young core together. 

• Confused 1

• Moderators

I think we're going to have to accept that there won't be any big moves for the Hawks this offseason.  Which for me is a good thing.   We had a ECF run largely without Hunter, Cam, Dunn, and BG.    Think about that.   If we have Hunter and Cam and a healthy Trae for the whole Bucks series then we're still playing right now in the finals.   

• Like 2

• Moderators
14 hours ago, niremetal said:

Disagree on McConnell. He simply doesn't have the production (read: scoring ability) necessary to be a starting PG in the modern game, at least not a team that's going to win more than 25 games. He strikes me as being in the same mold as guys like Brevin Knight--solid backup who will give you good minutes off the bench and spot starts, but you're in trouble if you're leaning on him to play major minutes. I think he'd be perfect for a role here as a backup and spot starter, and I don't think he'd get a much better deal elsewhere. 

Starting is probably the wrong way of saying it but I don't think that changes the fact he will want a bigger role than he could get here.  He isn't going to get minutes at the 2 because we have better options there and he is way too small.  So you are talking about him playing behind Trae which doesn't leave a lot of time.  McConnell has averaged over 20 mpg the last 4 years on teams that made the playoffs 3 out of those 4 years (including 26 mpg this past season).  I don't know him personally and so can't say if he would be willing to accept a smaller role but the only way I see him being the "spot starter" you flag him for here is when Trae is out which would apply to any of these guys.  Otherwise, it will be a lot of 12 minute nights since you really can't play McConnell and Young together.  I just think he is going to want more and should be focused on maximizing $$s given how little he has earned career to date.  My dream scenario for Rose is kind of the flip side of that where he is content with his career earnings and has had his day of being "the star" and now could be a difference-maker on a potential championship team.

I was critical of TS for not signing McConnell the last time he was a free agent so I'm a fan.  I'll be happy if we can sign him.  I just see our backup PG role being too small for what he will want entering what looks to be the biggest contract of his career.

As far as Rose wanting meaningful minutes in the playoffs, I would say he can do more for us than Lou did and I consider Lou to have played an important role even before Trae's injury.  If that isn't enough for Rose that clearly won't be a match.  If he wants a ring more than anything and saw how much we relied on our depth and maybe what he could do as part of that rotation, that would be my ideal for what I would want.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I think we're going to have to accept that there won't be any big moves for the Hawks this offseason.  Which for me is a good thing.   We had a ECF run largely without Hunter, Cam, Dunn, and BG.    Think about that.   If we have Hunter and Cam and a healthy Trae for the whole Bucks series then we're still playing right now in the finals.   

That's why I cringe when people assume, if we don't make moves, we're "standing pat" or are overvaluing the run.  Getting back healthy is our big move, to a certain degree.

If there are clear upgrades available, that make sense, of course you pull that trigger.  But you don't approach the offseason thinking, "Well I know I have to do something."  That's how you get into trouble.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gurpilo said:

I think Dieng could play some PF and I am serious about that,

I don’t doubt this. I think he has played some PF in his career, he’s a pretty mobile big so I can see him being able to keep up with smaller and faster 4’s.

hace 9 horas, bird_dirt dijo:

Dieng would be a big body and get his minutes. OO17's minutes would increase. Either one could start depending on match ups.

Use the extra cap space towards keeping the rest of our young core together. 

Why would that be a good idea? Capela is an asset, we can only trade him for another asset, he is good against 70% of the centers, and has some problems with size against big centers. That does not mean we need to trade him, that means we need to add another guy that can play well against the bad matchups for Capela. Honestly speaking that is what a wise team do. 

• Premium Member

It should surprise no one that the GM feels this way, and intends action... practically all of us accept this as far as I know...

2021-07-14_16-42-49.png

... so conjecture about what that might look like is certainly not far-flung on its merits. Some action is anticipated. It's just a question of what opportunities might avail themselves and what is reasonable given the parameters that will dictate what opportunities get serious consideration.

(Kirschner ignores a fairly important point in this article, ie, the $8-$13m in cap space that needs to be exhausted before signing JC... instead, he seizes on the draft pick and on the MLE. Wonder if he's spending more of his time now focused on his Knicks, whereas his Hawks work is, well, work.)

• Like 1

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, bird_dirt said:

What? No. 

If you trade Capela at least get assests in return. 

Sign Dieng for less, you also get less production and impact on the floor where the Hawks need it most.  Dieng's days of starting are also long gone.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, sturt said:

It should surprise no one that the GM feels this way, and intends action... practically all of us accept this as far as I know...

2021-07-14_16-42-49.png

... so conjecture about what that might look like is certainly not far-flung on its merits. Some action is anticipated. It's just a question of what opportunities might avail themselves and what is reasonable given the parameters that will dictate what opportunities get serious consideration.

(Kirschner ignores a fairly important point in this article, ie, the $8-$13m in cap space that needs to be exhausted before signing JC... instead, he seizes on the draft pick and on the MLE. Wonder if he's spending more of his time now focused on his Knicks, whereas his Hawks work is, well, work.)

Another takeaway that just struck me.

This would seem to affirm that Schlenk won't be looking at short-term solutions.

That has some important bearing, of course, on the idea that Schlenk would sign a Rose or a Mills or anyone else who is old enough to have begun to start thinking about retirement.

And... at the risk of stating the too obvious... it also indicates pretty strongly that we can assume he's not content with what we've had. A lot of conversation just today about the 2020-21 back-up PGs. Anything is possible, but it doesn't bode well for thinking Dunn is likely to be counted on for a key role... and the #2 PG is a key role by anyone's measure.

Just going from Schlenk's words to Kirschner.

1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Can’t salary dump the NBA’s leading rebounder for 2020-2021. It’s not good.

I love Cap, and think he's getting a little too much heat for the playoffs. I don't want to see him go. Buuuuuttttttttt......

Stated issues here have included:

1. Running out of financial flexibility 

2. Needing a bigger body C

3. OO potentially supplanting Cap sooner rather than later, and there being some redundancy in their skills.

Add to that list, an appreciation for Dieng, but doubts of being able to sign him due to so few minutes available after Cap and OO.

My suggestion was just an attempt to solve all those issues at once. 

If Dieng would sign for less than what Cap makes, then trade Cap for future picks. Give OO 30 minutes, Dieng 18 minutes or whatever. Use extra salary savings towards other young guns who are gonna get paid.

• Like 1

I agree with @gurpilo... 

We most likely have Dunn as a defensive backup PG and seems fairly likely we bring Lou back. 

Furthermore, just about all of us have mentioned how many great PG prospects will be available at #20. I don't want us to waste that opportunity and believe we take a PG there.

Thus, the backup PG will likely be covered both in the short and long term. 

Spend our money on a backup big (voted Dieng). We clearly had paint struggles and issues guarding the best bigs of the East that we will see again. It takes a long for bigs to learn the game, which is another reason I'd not want to use our 1st on a big, because we need help there soon.  

*and on another note, are we considering Gary Trent Jr. a vet? I've always liked him but I think he's like 21-22? And unless one of Huerter/Bogi are traded, don't see a need for a SG. But if they were moved, he'd be my guy. 

• Like 1