When are championship expectations going to kick in for you ?

JTB

There is but a small difference between the winner and the also ran.  

I really, really want the Hawks to win immediately!  Play, expecting to win it all next season.  Atlanta opened the door when they entered the playoffs.  They proved that they belonged there this past season.  They were not swept out like forgotten trash.  No!  They won round one.  NBA was kinda shook up.  Then they won round two.  Oh, gosh.  Someone do something.  Round three. NBA in panic mode!  Still no sweep.  They won two games IN THE THIRD ROUND!  

Right now, the Bucks must be looked at as the favorite to win it all.  The same team that Atlanta just recently beat twice!  We're ready!  We have the team to beat next season!  I want it all.  I'm too old to be wanting to wait three or four years. 

:sun: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This is a tricky one. I think we are now championship contenders for the next five years at a minimum.  To me that means, we will be in the ECF at a minimum two years out of the next  five years.   Those are the loftiest my expectations get.  It all depends on the development of the core.  If any two of Collins, Huerter, Reddish, Hunter, or Okongwu reach their maximum potential, I see the Hawks winning it all in the next few seasons. 

The Bucks are a quality team and they will be contending in the next few seasons. I'm encouraged by the Hawks matching up with them because I believe Dre' and Cam are much better defenders than anything the Suns have. Bridges is great though, but we have two to shut down Middleton and Jrue.  That's the key to stopping the Bucks. 

The Nets window is also the Bucks window.  Their depth will suffer over the next few seasons because of the huge contracts on their books.  Can they stay healthy and what quality depth will they have for the playoffs? 

Philly - They will still be tough. it'll be interesting what moves they make to round out the roster.  

The Celtics - I don't see them being on the same tier as the four teams above. 

Miami - It's over move on.

Charolette - With Lamelo, Gordan, and the rest of the cast. I see them being a solid playoff team. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, marco102 said:

This is a tricky one. I think we are now championship contenders for the next five years at a minimum.  To me that means, we will be in the ECF at a minimum two years out of the next  five years.   Those are the loftiest my expectations get.  It all depends on the development of the core.  If any two of Collins, Huerter, Reddish, Hunter, or Okongwu reach their maximum potential, I see the Hawks winning it all in the next few seasons. 

The Bucks are a quality team and they will be contending in the next few seasons. I'm encouraged by the Hawks matching up with them because I believe Dre' and Cam are much better defenders than anything the Suns have. Bridges is great though, but we have two to shut down Middleton and Jrue.  That's the key to stopping the Bucks. 

The Nets window is also the Bucks window.  Their depth will suffer over the next few seasons because of the huge contracts on their books.  Can they stay healthy and what quality depth will they have for the playoffs? 

Philly - They will still be tough. it'll be interesting what moves they make to round out the roster.  

The Celtics - I don't see them being on the same tier as the four teams above. 

Miami - It's over move on.

Charolette - With Lamelo, Gordan, and the rest of the cast. I see them being a solid playoff team. 

This was a solid great answer! Thanks for sharing 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

If JC resigns, I think our window starts next year and we enough to take another step.

If he doesn't I think we are 2 years away while we wait for continued development from OO and Cam.

I agree with this. 

I also don't think the Nets are as scary as everyone makes them out to be.  That defense is waiting to get carved up -- I think we match up better with them than with the Bucks, and I also think that the Nets are not that much better with healthy Kyrie and Harden.  The nets defense was actually better with those guys out and on offense KD was basically forced to take more shots, which really was not a bad thing.  Obviously they'll be better when everyone s healthy; I just want to put it out there that I don't think they're THAT much better, only marginally.  Kyrie and Harden have extreme overlapping skillsets and there's only 1 ball to shoot every possession.

76ers will be a wild card next year depending on Simmons situation, but I think a team to look out for next season is the Celtics.  Brad is in the FO now where he wants to be, new coach will have something to prove, and getting rid of Kemba for Horford - even though he is 35 - is going to be a big plus for them, especially in the playoffs.  They have some wiggle room to make more moves this offseason and I think those guys are hungry.  Another team that might make a leap is Charlotte -- I'm interested to see what they do this offseason because they have a lot of space and Hayward isn't getting younger.  I could see them getting a top 6 seed.  

I think we can reasonably get the #1 seed next year if we keep it up.  We have a ton of depth right now and our confidence is at an all time high.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Sothron said:

This isn't like the old NBA where  you could just see a team was going to win a ring it just was  matter of time, growth and age catching up to other teams. I knew in 1986 the Pistons were going to win at least one title. When you watched them struggle through the Celtics/get robbed of their first title in 87 against the Lakers with the infamous phantom foul on Laimbeer it validated that feeling. Then they won two straight. And right behind them? Yep, the Bulls with that #23. He had a decent career once his team figured out how to beat the Pistons.

Fast forward to now and there's no team in the NBA I worry about with these Hawks. I truly believe they would have won a title this season if the injuries weren't there to Trae and Hunter. My expectation is if we are healthy and we bring Collins back that we win a title next season. 

4 hours ago, High5 said:

How can you not have those expectations now? We were 2 games away from the Finals with very little experience and crucial injuries to multiple starters. Our roster still has so much room to grow. Cam and OO especially have to feel really good about how they finished the season and they'll (hopefully) finally have a real offseason to improve and hone their skills. With luck in the injury department there's no reason this team can't compete for the #1 seed. We're going to have so much depth and continuity if JC returns. 

Based on what you two are saying ….

….do you feel this way if all teams were healthy going into the playoffs and throughout the playoffs??

Do you truly feel if a healthy Hawks faced a healthy nets team in the ECF we win that series and go to the finals?

what about the Lakers ? Do you feel a healthy hawks team can beat a healthy Lakers team of lebron and AD in the finals?

…….seriously I’m really just asking.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I expect us to be a top 4 seed in the East and competing for a spot in the ECF again.

We still need a consistent dependable clear cut #2 to rise to the top behind Trae. 

This is exactly how I feel and how I’m keeping my expectations. I wouldn’t be surprised if we could get the 1 seed next season. Hungry young teams usually get the one seed . It certainly doesn’t mean championships follow of course.

also definitely agree we need the clear cut #2 to “please stand up” next season….hell clear cut #3 as well.

• Premium Member
49 minutes ago, JTB said:

….do you feel this way if all teams were healthy going into the playoffs and throughout the playoffs??

Do you truly feel if a healthy Hawks faced a healthy nets team in the ECF we win that series and go to the finals?

what about the Lakers ? Do you feel a healthy hawks team can beat a healthy Lakers team of lebron and AD in the finals?

Yes. Both those teams are so top heavy that the other guys aren't good enough to carry them. 

With Trae, next year and every year beyond that. I initially thought we’d make noise in 2023, like the amount of noise we made this year. We are now a couple years ahead of schedule. But when we understood that Trae is who he is and we know as Hawks fans exactly what he can do, every year should be championship aspirations. Legit championship aspirations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, JTB said:

Probably not, but we’re talking about next season and beyond. 

The Brooklyn matchup with Harden is tricky for sure. You cant really hide Trae anywhere. Cam is best on KD but that pulls JC on to a smaller quicker perimeter player.

But the thing I forget is that they have to guard us too, and they have nobody who can stay in front of Trae. Then you look at the rest of the wings and realize our guys can play both ends, but theirs really can't. KD is a good defender but he isn't an anchor, and he would likely end up on JC or Dre, which is fine because we still have more firepower than they do defense.

Those games were high scoring for a reason. But our defense will actually take a step forward next year. I don't fear that matchup

• Like 2

• Premium Member
On 7/17/2021 at 11:02 PM, sturt said:

Our window has opened.

And the fact of the matter is, the salary cap situation means that if we don't win in 2021-22, it only gets tougher.

So, does that mean there's expectations? Sure there are. You don't get to within 2 games and an ankle injury of an NBA Finals appearance and not have expectations, right?

But still more importantly, there is URGENCY.

It's all conjecture, but for those of us convinced that w/ Trae and Dre healthy, we defeat the Bucks...

What then should we make of the Bucks having won the title? What's the natural conclusion for us to take from that?

Yes, missed an opportunity in 2021. All-in on 2022 now.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2021 at 11:31 PM, sillent said:

Bucks are going Up, in age. Giannis may still be young but Brook, Tucker  (key players), Salary Cap and other factors will slow down the Bucks longevity.

Jrue, Middleton, and Giannis are locked up through 2024.  Jrue is 30, so that means he'll be 33 in 3 years.  Middleton will be 32.  Giannis will be just 29.   That team isn't going anywhere, anytime soon.  Guys like Tucker and Lopez are definitely replaceable.

The Hawks need one more major piece in order to beat them.  Whether it's Hunter developing into our version of Kawhi, or if we have to trade for one, that's probably what it is going to take to beat Milwaukee in these next 3 years.

13 minutes ago, sturt said:

It's all conjecture, but for those of us convinced that w/ Trae and Dre healthy, we defeat the Bucks...

What then should we make of the Bucks having won the title? What's the natural conclusion for us to take from that?

Yes, missed an opportunity in 2021. All-in on 2022 now.

I will be honest with you I may be only one on this board that believes bucks can be real contenders 3 years in a row making it back to the finals.

to me the bucks have figured it out and they are definitely the team to beat now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Jrue, Middleton, and Giannis are locked up through 2024.  Jrue is 30, so that means he'll be 33 in 3 years.  Middleton will be 32.  Giannis will be just 29.   That team isn't going anywhere, anytime soon.  Guys like Tucker and Lopez are definitely replaceable.

The Hawks need one more major piece in order to beat them.  Whether it's Hunter developing into our version of Kawhi, or if we have to trade for one, that's probably what it is going to take to beat Milwaukee in these next 3 years.

THANKYOU….we need to face reality and just say even though we have a very good team we are still a big piece away from putting the bucks away if we run into them again in the playoffs.

• Like 1

In order to get to the finals I’m not really even concerned with our defense I’m more concerned with our offense.

we need to find another sure player who can score inside or mid range at will. Trae has his floater and that’s an elite shot. But after that who can count on ?