• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What about this Elam Ending thing (re: TBT on ESPN)... ?

sturt

• Premium Member

Like it enough to think about it for NBA... or maybe some modification of it?

I do.

Only would choose to make it an even 10 points instead of 8, and would keep the clock going so that it's either who gets to the target score first, or who is in the lead at 00:00--if no one, then achieving the target score remains as the determinant of who wins.

2021-07-17_22-55-58.png

• Like 1

• Moderators

I think it's GREAT for exhibitions. Official games, not so much. But TBT has me tuning in at just about every fourth quarter I can find!

Has Bawb started doing Play-by-Play yet or is he doing the later rounds? I keep listening out for him, although Eric Collins does a nice job.

~lw3

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

I think it's GREAT for exhibitions. Official games, not so much. But TBT has me tuning in at just about every fourth quarter I can find!

Has Bawb started doing Play-by-Play yet or is he doing the later rounds? I keep listening out for him, although Eric Collins does a nice job.

~lw3

i don't know what TBT is.   

• Premium Member

I like it a lot.  I would actually prefer it to our current system.  It makes the end of games a little different strategically in a good way.  Running down the clock isn't impactful anymore, fouling because of time constraints does not exist, and no overtime is a big plus in my opinion because guys already get run into the ground over the course of a game.  It also makes it so the end of games always have some level of excitement.  Right now, the winning team is just dribbling it out or you are watching end of bench guys.  There's always a "game winner" which is kind of neat.  It would take incremental changes and shifts to ever implement this but conceptually, I think it would actually be good for everyone involved.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JeffS17 said:

Running down the clock isn't impactful anymore, fouling because of time constraints does not exist

True.

So, when I said... "would keep the clock going so that it's either who gets to the target score first, or who is in the lead at 00:00"... never mind. Wasn't thinking it all through. 

• Moderators

I really like this idea.  Definitely a whole different bucket of strategic considerations but I really like anything that incentives teams to keep playing a peak level rather than incentivizing them to switch to "prevent defense."  Would much rather watch a back and forth where each side is trying to maximize every possession rather than a team milking the clock to try to prevent the other side from coming back.  Relaly interesting.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

To no one in particular...

It's a personal rule of mine in my 50s that I had to learn to adopt... for example, I was one of those neanderthals who heard gay marriage first brought up in the 2000 Bush/Gore debates and thought, "wow, as-if that would ever happen in the US of A"... and there's more just like that...

I try to not rule out for all of time that ecologies evolve, and some things that at one time were considered almost totally implausible, eventually come to be after all if enough people grow to accept and support it.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, sturt said:

To no one in particular...

It's a personal rule of mine in my 50s that I had to learn to adopt... for example, I was one of those neanderthals who heard gay marriage first brought up in the 2000 Bush/Gore debates and thought, "wow, as-if that would ever happen in the US of A"... and there's more just like that...

I try to not rule out for all of time that ecologies evolve, and some things that at one time were considered almost totally implausible, eventually come to be after all if enough people grow to accept and support it.

I'm not always instantly on-board with some of the ideas you bring up but they are always interesting to consider and discuss.  This one stands out to me as an instant "like."

• Like 1

• Premium Member

https://journals.iupui.edu/index.php/sij/article/view/239692021-07-20_11-33-31.png

(Shame on me for not even knowing this journal exists.

All this time (~12 yrs?) I've spent on designated hitter history and compromise rule options, and I didn't realize there was a potential publishing opportunity. 🙂  )

• Haha 1

• Moderators

How 'bout just for overtime? That way, everybody gets their standard 48 minutes but we no longer run the risk of Joe-Johnson-versus-Utah for 7 OTs on a Wednesday back-to-back.

I'd set the bar high at 20 points for both teams to reach so a hot streak out of the gates doesn't end the OT phase too quickly. Of course the downside is if the game comes down to Smooves on both sides jacking up bad shots and dragging the outcomes out interminably, but sensible coaches oughta keep that from happening too often.

Vegas would have fun setting lines on who is most likely to hit the game-winners.

~lw3

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, AUhawksfan said:

I assume the shot clock still stays on though right?

I like the strategy but wouldn't want to go back to the old days of putting folks to sleep just passing around the perimeter until something opens up.

2021-07-20_20-32-45.png

• Thanks 1