• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bummed for "my" Blazers

• Premium Member

I moved out to the Portland area about 7 years ago and, once Tim Duncan hung up his sneakers, the Blazers became my adopted #2 team. It's kind of crazy being in a position for the first time since I've been here (yes, including 2014-15) that the Hawks are clearly closer to a title than my new hometown team is.

I don't think people get just how freaking good Damian Lillard is. Everyone *thinks* they know. But you really have to watch him night-in and night-out to get the full picture. I would argue that he is *the* best guard in the NBA, and has been for at least 6-7 years. I think he's one of the 5 best players in the league, along with Giannis, LeBron, Kawhi, and Curry (due respect to Jokic). And I genuinely think he's a better player than Curry--which is in no way a knock on Curry, who I think is himself a generational talent. But put Dame on the Warriors instead of Curry, and I think the Warriors would have won 5 straight titles starting in 2015, and contended even over the past 2 years.

Unfortunately, the Blazers blew the best years of Dame's career by failing to surround him with a modicum of talent, at least after Aldridge left (which Dame and Aldridge both now realize was a mistake). It was very clear that McCollum and Nurkic were nowhere near enough as secondary pieces for the Blazers to contend, but the team refused to make moves while they still had assets to do so.

Now things are about to go very south for the Blazers very quickly. Dame wants to win now, and the Blazers just don't have the assets needed to retool and put the supporting cast around him needed to contend. They have no cap space. They traded two firsts to get Robert Covington (a good player, but not worth two firsts). Their only viable trade assets are Nurkic, Anfernee Simons, and maybe CJ McCollum ("maybe" because he has 3 years and over $90M left on his contract). None of those guys are going to bring back a truly elite star talent.

Their best hope is that the Sixers will bite on a trade centered on McCollum for Simmons. If the Blazers could pull that off without having to sacrifice Simons, there's at least a modicum of a chance that improvement from Simmons and growth by Simons will vault the team up to title contention. I doubt the Sixers would be seriously interested in that trade, but I can't see any *more* likely trades that the Blazers could pull off. Which probably means they are screwed.

It sucks to see the Blazers squander the prime of the best player to ever put on a Rip City jersey. But I think we might see a Blazers firesale sooner than people realize. (If so, I think the Hawks should take a look at trying to nab Nurkic)

• Thanks 2

• Moderators

It feels like everybody in that town is circling around Olshey Gotta Go / Shoulda Been Gone but he's just been clogging the drain for years, while Jody and the Allens, crediting Olshey for the perpetual Lillard Magic that comes around playoff time, won't pull the plug.

~lw3

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, niremetal said:

And I genuinely think he's a better player than Curry-

I knew I liked you. 

7 hours ago, niremetal said:

If so, I think the Hawks should take a look at trying to nab Nurkic)

We are the same poster, yes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I hate to see Dame go. I want to see him retire in a Blazers uni. One team. He’s been loyal almost to a fault but something about putting on “one jersey” is magnetic to me. I think that’s why when Nique got traded I was just devastated. I wanted him to be a Hawk for life.

Dame went to Portland and the city loves him. I hope they can work something out. I honestly think they may have held onto Stotts a couple years too long. Don’t get me wrong he’s a good solid coach but he wasn’t getting over the hump. Chauncey has a chance with Dame. 

• Like 1

I think Lillllllard's overrated.  Nobody ever asks why they always need "Dame time".  They've had enough talent around him to not be always tryna hero ball some random triple-OT win all the freaking time.

Can't spell Lillllllard without a bunch-a L's, baybee. 🤠

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

I think Lillllllard's overrated.  Nobody ever asks why they always need "Dame time".  They've had enough talent around him to not be always tryna hero ball some random triple-OT win all the freaking time.

Can't spell Lillllllard without a bunch-a L's, baybee. 🤠

Maybe they should pair Lillard and Kitty. See whose fault it really is. 😂 

• Haha 2