Okongwu is out six months with torn labrum in right shoulder

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, TheBigETrain said:

Agree with adding a veteran center but don't think Dwight is the answer. I think this may mean that Collins re-signing is more of a priority and Hawks have to up their offer.

That was my first instinct too. But ultimately, I don't think the Hawks can make a 9-figure / 4-5 year decision based on 30 games of availability for a backup big. Especially because right now, O is really Clint's backup, not John's. And it's gonna be that way until O can stretch the floor (which I believe is coming, but not this next season).

Like Supes said...free agency it is. Unless Knight absolutely busts out defensively in Summer League and earns a regular season audition. I'd like to think there's a fair chance of that because Knight has to realize this is maybe his best chance to land even a temporary rotation role on a NBA team. But that's probably wishful thinking.

Dedmon seems like a good vet min flyer, although NGL, I'm not up on who else might be a good fit in that regard.

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

How and when did this happen? And is this related to the departure of our former trainer?

Okongwu told The Athletic that he played through pain throughout the playoffs and that some days were more painful than others. He didn’t remember exactly when he tore his labrum, but it happened on a particular play in May.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, niremetal said:

That was my first instinct too. But ultimately, I don't think the Hawks can make a 9-figure / 4-5 year decision based on 30 games of availability for a backup big. Especially because right now, O is really Clint's backup, not John's. And it's gonna be that way until O can stretch the floor (which I believe is coming, but not this next season).

All true, but don't discount Collins' ability to play the backup 5 in small ball lineups, which he did last year before OOs return from the foot injury.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

How and when did this happen? And is this related to the departure of our former trainer?

I don't know the answer but there does seem to be a repeating pattern with guys' injuries.  Try to play through it, try to fix it with rest, shut down for a while, ultimately have surgery and be out for extended time anyway.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I got some folks mad at my on twitter for saying it but I dgaf. I'm glad she's gone. Our injuries were through the roof this season under her. We kept seeing guys get hurt, just get rest and then finally need to have surgery anyways. Now we have OO he tore this in May and he's just NOW got surgery for it. 

That is terrible from the team trainer.

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Interesting they shut Hunter down after the Knicks series for surgery but not OO.   He was huge for us so i get it but would have gotten him back sooner next year.  

My guess is, they determined the injury would not/could not get any worse by playing with it. We've seen that before with other players.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I got some folks mad at my on twitter for saying it but I dgaf. I'm glad she's gone. Our injuries were through the roof this season under her. We kept seeing guys get hurt, just get rest and then finally need to have surgery anyways. Now we have OO he tore this in May and he's just NOW got surgery for it. 

That is terrible from the team trainer.

It's mostly bad luck, these things happen. But if they want to make her the fall guy then go ahead. I guess you have to fire somebody. 

• Sad 1