• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Okongwu is out six months with torn labrum in right shoulder

lethalweapon3

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

My guess is, they determined the injury would not/could not get any worse by playing with it. We've seen that before with other players.

I'm just surprised they didn't value next season more than this but we did have a solid chance at the finals so i get it.  

20 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

My guess is, they determined the injury would not/could not get any worse by playing with it. We've seen that before with other players.

Yea, guys can play through torn labrums, torn meniscus is a little different. I think the Hawks threaded the needle between good as they could. If you're going to be a hardline, "we aren't playing guys with any injuries no matter what", well you'll be putting your G league team out there soon. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, marco102 said:

I just want him to have one healthy off season!!!

Worst part by far is missing out on the growth and coaching in the off season.  Yet he seemed to play better even after hurting the shoulder.  It sucks, but he'll be fine long term.

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Sothron said:

I got some folks mad at my on twitter for saying it but I dgaf. I'm glad she's gone. Our injuries were through the roof this season under her. We kept seeing guys get hurt, just get rest and then finally need to have surgery anyways. Now we have OO he tore this in May and he's just NOW got surgery for it. 

That is terrible from the team trainer.

Bring back Wally Blase!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sothron said:

I got some folks mad at my on twitter for saying it but I dgaf. I'm glad she's gone. Our injuries were through the roof this season under her. We kept seeing guys get hurt, just get rest and then finally need to have surgery anyways. Now we have OO he tore this in May and he's just NOW got surgery for it. 

I mentioned this in another thread. For us to take the most conservative recovery approach I’ve ever seen all of our young guys STAYED hurt. It was very perplexing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sothron said:

You the one most consistent with criticism toward her.  So I don't know.  Maybe you were right all along.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Interesting they shut Hunter down after the Knicks series for surgery but not OO.   He was huge for us so i get it but would have gotten him back sooner next year.  

Does this have anything to do with Chelsea leaving? Kidding Kidding...

Edited by terrell

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Cwell said:

Len and Capela on the same team?! We'll lead the league in blown layups. Those guys are the Batman and Robin in missed bunnies

Yep.   If Capela could make more of those 'put backs' he'd be a real force. 

• Premium Member
18 hours ago, terrell said:

Or this guy?

Alex Len - Wikipedia

3 hours ago, Cwell said:

Len and Capela on the same team?! We'll lead the league in blown layups. Those guys are the Batman and Robin in missed bunnies

It'll be the 'How many Bunnies can you miss' Show :laugh1:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Premium Member

Update:

He originally banged up his shoulder in May, but decided to keep playing.

“I hurt it in two games, actually, but I just kept playing through it,” Okongwu said. “Hurt it again during a practice, and it kept getting hit over and over again, so the pain got worse, but I think the initial tear was in May. … They knew that my shoulder was hurt, but I told them I wanted to play through it. It wasn’t anything that serious where I couldn’t play through it. I just got treatment on it, and I made sure I kept it warm at all time, did the little things to be able to go out there and play.”

That decision mostly was based on the Hawks gearing up for a playoff run, and Okongwu wanting to contribute. Of course, the No. 5-seed Hawks went further than anyone expected, knocking off the No. 4-seed Knicks and stunning the No. 1-seed 76ers before losing in six games to the eventual NBA champion Bucks in the Eastern Conference finals.

“I knew our team really needed everyone to play in the playoffs,” Okongwu said. “Obviously I really wanted to play in the playoffs; I was going to push through it, give my team my all, whatever I could do, and just kept giving it all to my team. I was doing so much of the little things my team needed of me, and I just wanted to go out there and give it my all.”

Not long after a Game 6 loss vs. the Bucks, which brought the Hawks’ season to a close, Okongwu underwent an MRI. He decided to proceed with surgery to get it out of the way and start the healing process.

“They said that it was completely torn, and they gave me the option to either I didn’t need to get surgery, or I can get it and get it out of the way, and the front office, my agent, we all decided that the best thing for me to do was get surgery to just get rid of it all together,” Okongwu said.

• Like 3