• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trade and Free Agent Season.

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, kg01 said:

Sheesh, why the East tryna stack up all of a sudden?

I think Lauri primarily needed a scenery change.  May not end up great but he'll be a contributor at least.  Maybe.  Does CHA even have money?

Who knows, he looked so promising early on and has plateued for several years now. Personally I'd definitely take a gamble at him if I were a team like the Hornets. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, marco102 said:

Designated rookies are generally getting max contracts up to 30% and are signed before the season or before the rookie enters restricted free agency. If you let that player go to restricted free agency and you make a qualifying offer, I believe you can offer five years similar to John. I'm not versed in the details here though so someone like @JayBirdHawk or @thecampster may be better qualified for that question. 

The CBA in PDF form. Easily searchable for all interested.  https://cosmic-s3.imgix.net/3c7a0a50-8e11-11e9-875d-3d44e94ae33f-2017-NBA-NBPA-Collective-Bargaining-Agreement.pdf

"A Team may at any point in time, in respect of any current or future Salary Cap Year, have Salary included in its Team Salary in respect of a maximum of two (2) Designated Rookie Scale Players, provided that not more than one (1) of such Designated Rookie Scale Players may have been acquired by the Team by assignment."

"“Designated Rookie Scale Player Extension” means an Extension of a Rookie Scale Contract entered into between a Team and its Article I 3 Designated Rookie Scale Player that covers six (6) Seasons from the date the Extension is signed and provides for Salary for the first Salary Cap Year covered by the extended term equal to the player’s applicable Maximum Annual Salary under Article II"

"g) Notwithstanding any other provision of this Agreement, any Contract or Rookie Scale Extension entered into between a 5th Year Eligible Player and a Team that provides for Salary plus Unlikely Bonuses in the first Season covered by the Contract or Rookie Scale Extension (as applicable) greater than twenty-five percent (25%) of the Salary Cap in effect during the first Season of the Contract or extended term (as applicable) in accordance with the rules set forth in this Section 7 must be for at least four (4) Seasons (excluding any Option Year) and, in the case of a Rookie Scale Extension, excluding the last Season covered by the player’s Rookie Scale Contract"

"(b) Rookie Scale Extensions. No Rookie Scale Contract may be extended except in accordance with the following: (1) A First Round Pick who enters into a Rookie Scale Contract may enter into an Extension of such Rookie Scale Contract during the period from 12:01 p.m. eastern time on the last day of the Moratorium Period through 6:00 p.m. eastern time on the day prior to the first day of the Regular Season of the second Option Year provided for in such Contract (assuming the Team exercises such Option). (2) An Extension of a Rookie Scale Contract may provide for Salary and Unlikely Bonuses in the first Salary Cap Year covered by the extended term totaling no more than the maximum amount provided for in Article II, Section 7. Annual increases and decreases in Salary and Unlikely Bonuses shall be governed by Section 5(c)(3) above. (3) Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this Agreement, a player who will not be a Qualifying Veteran Free Agent at the conclusion of his Rookie Scale Contract will not be eligible to enter into an Extension of a Rookie Scale Contract pursuant to this Section 7(b)."

"(b) an Extension of a Rookie Scale Contract with a player (other than a Designated Player Rookie Scale Extension with a Team’s Designated Rookie Scale Player) may cover, in the aggregate, up to but no more than five (5) Seasons from the date such Extension is signed, ("

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, MarylandHawk said:

Is it me or is Ben Simmons the most overrated player in basketball?

True before the playoffs but now probably underrated. Was hoping the Philly front office would trade him for less value than he's worth but unfortunately they aren't imbeciles. 

• Like 4

I think he's the most poorly-used player in basketball.

I don't think he's had a real coach since he entered the league.

Yes, you read that right. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

He's a beast to me. Top 10 player in the NBA during the regular season but his drop off is massive in the playoffs to borderline top 50.

Not overrated but severely flawed but it's hard to expose that in 82 games but easy to expose it in a playoff series.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, REHawksFan said:

IMO, Ben is an ELITE defensive player and a below average offensive player.  The problem for him is, he plays in a league and in an era that values his weakness (offense) about 10 times more than it values his strength (defense).   And he exacerbates the problem by trying to be a PG with the ball in his hands, which just shines a huge spotlight on all his offensive struggles.  He could mitigate his weakness if he were willing to play a position where he doesn't have the ball in his hands so much, imo.  Just move to PF and thrive as a finisher and secondary playmaker.  

He's basically the exact opposite of Trae, but Trae gets the benefit of having his weakness (defense) be more easily concealed in today's NBA whereas Ben's is completely exposed.  

In no world is Ben Simmons just a below average offensive player. Once in a generation open court player. Elite passer for his size. Excellent playmaker. Excellent offensive rebounder for position. Freakish slasher. LMAO! 

I don't know what's more skewed, the average fan view of Ben Simmons or Morey in the opposite direction. 

Simmons is becoming the new Josh Smith where people who don't like him just flat out think he sucks and don't even bother evaluating him properly. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

In no world is Ben Simmons just a below average offensive player. Once in a generation open court player. Elite passer for his size. Excellent playmaker. Excellent offensive rebounder for position. Freakish slasher. LMAO! 

I don't know what's more skewed, the average fan view of Ben Simmons or Morey in the opposite direction. 

I tend to agree but will say that the shooting/mental thing is a significant negating factor.

True, over the course of a season, it can be circumvented.  But it hinders him/his team tremendously in a playoff scenario.

Hinders them to the point where all the regular season excellence is, imho, almost irrelevant.

What would we say about a guy like Randle who was exposed as a regular season tiger/playoff kitten?  No one's giving him a pass.

Simmons can't continue to be given the benefit of the doubt anymore, especially when it comes to regular season accolades other than DPOY.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Things are getting Finnishy in Chicago? 

I actually think he'd be good in the Gallo role in the future with the Hawks, but we don't have the minutes for him. #deepteamproblems

Defense matters tho and ain't JJ the backup PF of the future 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

I think he's the most poorly-used player in basketball.

I don't think he's had a real coach since he entered the league.

Yes, you read that right. 

Blink twice if Jam has a hold of you… actually that ish won’t work you been blinking all week.

• Haha 3