• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trade and Free Agent Season.

JayBirdHawk

56 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

In no world is Ben Simmons just a below average offensive player. Once in a generation open court player. Elite passer for his size. Excellent playmaker. Excellent offensive rebounder for position. Freakish slasher. LMAO! 

I don't know what's more skewed, the average fan view of Ben Simmons or Morey in the opposite direction. 

Simmons is becoming the new Josh Smith where people who don't like him just flat out think he sucks and don't even bother evaluating him properly. 

He's a guard that wants the ball in his hands but cannot shoot.  That's below avg to me.  If you tell me he's willing to be a PF or play more without the ball, then I'd agree.  He's a very good offensive player around the rim, but come on. HIs offense as a PG (which is what he thinks he is) is below avg. if he can't shoot.   

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, kg01 said:

I tend to agree but will say that the shooting/mental thing is a significant negating factor.

True, over the course of a season, it can be circumvented.  But it hinders him/his team tremendously in a playoff scenario.

Hinders them to the point where all the regular season excellence is, imho, almost irrelevant.

What would we say about a guy like Randle who was exposed as a regular season tiger/playoff kitten?  No one's giving him a pass.

Simmons can't continue to be given the benefit of the doubt anymore, especially when it comes to regular season accolades other than DPOY.

Why does everyone just automatically claim he is an allstar, all NBA but Trae has to beg and fight to be recognized. He was crying about not being defensive player of the year then Trae and Hawks torched and embarrassed him. His numbers haven’t been much better than Markel Fultz. Hey, I like the guy and love the open court ability and defense but damn, he is not a top NBA player.  Philly thinking he is equal to Harden and wanting 4 first round picks is just ridiculous. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

He's a guard that wants the ball in his hands but cannot shoot.  That's below avg to me.  If you tell me he's willing to be a PF or play more without the ball, then I'd agree.  He's a very good offensive player around the rim, but come on. HIs offense as a PG (which is what he thinks he is) is below avg. if he can't shoot.   

While I respect your opinion, I don't see the game in a limited prism. I can agree with your take on his flaws but disagree on the assessment 

8 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

While I respect your opinion, I don't see the game in a limited prism. I can agree with your take on his flaws but disagree on the assessment 

That's fair.  I just think it's a square peg round hole kinda deal.  IF he was willing to play a different position, he could maximize his offensive strengths and mitigate the weaknesses.  IMO, that would make him a better all around player.  But he's seemingly incapable of doing a primary function of a guard's role......shoot from more than 5 feet beyond the basket.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Enjoy you 2 points 1 rebound a night in 17 min scrubbies. Why am I this mad I should be happy. 😂 

For all you fans and team waiting to slap 👋 the Warriors for rubbin in scores and winning by 40 when they could have won by 20, get in line, the crew is coming back together. Missing Speights big o butt, Livingston and a couple others but:

Curry

Klay

Dray

Iggy

Looney

This should be fun.

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, MarylandHawk said:

Why does everyone just automatically claim he is an allstar, all NBA but Trae has to beg and fight to be recognized. He was crying about not being defensive player of the year then Trae and Hawks torched and embarrassed him. His numbers haven’t been much better than Markel Fultz. Hey, I like the guy and love the open court ability and defense but damn, he is not a top NBA player.  Philly thinking he is equal to Harden and wanting 4 first round picks is just ridiculous. 

Eggsactly!!!

Luckily, due to the run last year, eggsperts gonna look real dumb if they continue to deny Trae's shine.

And furthermore on that all-defense stuff, kinda cute how their other supposed all-d guy got torched too.  Plus his stupid foul on heurter to award those 3 free throws, goes down as one of the dumbest moments of the playoffs.

37 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I'm still waitin on one-a these. 😪

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

That's fair.  I just think it's a square peg round hole kinda deal.  IF he was willing to play a different position, he could maximize his offensive strengths and mitigate the weaknesses.  IMO, that would make him a better all around player.  But he's seemingly incapable of doing a primary function of a guard's role......shoot from more than 5 feet beyond the basket.  

So you want him playing point forward instead of point guard? It's just semantics isn't it? He's going need the ball to orchestra the offense. 

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

So you want him playing point forward instead of point guard? It's just semantics isn't it? He's going need the ball to orchestra the offense. 

I'm reading the statement as one where he admits he can't be the primary ballhandler because doing so means he spends too much time on the perimeter where he is a complete non-threat to do anything other than pass or drive.  So as a power forward he would not be initiating the offense but be a second creator from closer to the basket.  Someone who can shoot a jumper would initiate the offense from the perimeter.  That is different to me than a point forward like LeBron who initiates the offense on the perimeter on most plays.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'm reading the statement as one where he admits he can't be the primary ballhandler because doing so means he spends too much time on the perimeter where he is a complete non-threat to do anything other than pass or drive.  So as a power forward he would not be initiating the offense but be a second creator from closer to the basket.  Someone who can shoot a jumper would initiate the offense from the perimeter.  That is different to me than a point forward like LeBron who initiates the offense on the perimeter on most plays.

THIS.  I probably didn't articulate that properly.  

I don't think Ben needs to be a point anything.  Everything he excels at offensively is within 5 feet of the basket.  

• Like 2

I think there are enough examples of playmaking big men that don't space the floor that you can feasibly see a scenario where Simmons can be successful. Bam and Draymond are 2 examples off the top of my head. Giannis to a different extent is a non shooting playmaker, but he is such a focal point of the defense that it opens up easier passing lanes. 

The only difference between Simmons and those other guys that can't shoot is that they are at least willing to shoot open shots if you leave them alone. Simmons won't shoot at all. Even if they only hit 30% from the outside, it's enough to make a nearby defender honor your existence.

Simmons has to get over that mental hurdle so that he can at least put the ball up to give his team a chance. I've never seen a non-center be that afraid to shoot a jumpshot.

It's like that character from Saving Private Ryan, the language interpreter who had never been in live combat and was used to being behind a desk. He  was so worthless that they delegated him to just run ammo back and forth during a gun fight. When his own fellow soldier was being killed in a fist fight by a Nazi, he had the chance to save his fellow man, but he was too afraid to fight and literally cried with his rifle in his hand. That's Simmons. When you wont even step up for your team when they need you most; afraid to take a wide open layup opportunity with the game on the line, you are literally killing your team at that point. Whether you miss the shot or not, if you at least engage the enemy, he has to consider you some kind of threat. Simmons leaves his teammates 4v5 when he wont put up an open shot. The literal definition of self check.