• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jalen Johnson - WELCOME TO THE HAWKS!

RandomFan

17 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Really? Off court issues?

Overblown by the media honestly and this is coming from a Duke fan who should be more made at him than 99% of other people for leaving lol.   But Coach K and his teammates all loved him and had nothing but praise and understood why he left.   He had a bit of a covid issue and some foot injuries that were ailing him over and over again in a short span.   So he decided to shut it down early instead of trying to make it worse over the season.

AD

Duke teammate Matthew Hurt spoke out in support of Johnson after his decision to leave. “I know he’s getting a lot of crap on social media,” Hurt said. “But he’s part of us. He’s never going to leave us like that. We’re going to stay in communication with him. He’s a great talent, great player. He did what’s best for him. We’re all proud of him. We all support him. He has a bright future ahead of him. I texted him that night, and we talked a bit. We thanked each other for helping each other out during the year. For sure we’re going to miss him a lot.”

Coach Mike Krzyzewski and fellow freshman DJ Steward also shared kind words about Johnson. He was loved during his time at Duke, and there are seemingly no hard feelings surrounding his departure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bleacher Report grade on Jalen.

20. Atlanta Hawks: Jalen Johnson, PF, Duke

Johnson’s ceiling is higher than this draft slot. Between his limited track record and holes in his game, though, this feels about right.

When he gets out in transition, his game is very easy on the eyes. The 6’9” forward can grab rebounds and go, flashing a drool-worthy blend of handles, vision and finishing.

But when the game slows down, so does his impact. He needs plenty of polish to find a half-court niche. His shooting is erratic, he shies away from contact, and his defensive motor comes and goes.

He’s worth a shot here for the Hawks, who have enough depth to take a risk.

Grade: B+

9 hours ago, marco102 said:

Schlenk has found his Draymond Green.  Great defensive versatility, rebounder, and playmaking for his size. 

I'm a fan. If he ever becomes a shooter we may have found the steal of the draft. 

"May"?  "If"?

Whats with this wishy-washy stuff, marco?

Cmon, hold my hand.  We'll jump into the pool together.

Jalen Johnson is the steal of the draft.  Full stop.  Other teams will consider contraction when they realize how terribly they whiffed on this pick.

I was always on board with the pick and, because it's all in chat, you'll never be able to prove otherwise. 😎

• Haha 4

So Jalen's stats are skewed by being only a 13 game sample and playing 15 minutes or less in 4 games. I decided throw those games out as outliers and only count the 9 games he played 20 or more minutes in.

MP 26.2

PPG 13.78

RPG 8.44

APG 3.11

SPG 1.33

BPG 1.67

TO 2.78

FG% 55%

3P% 37

That's a better representation of the player  13.8/8.4 with handles, defense and stretch 4 capability.

Edited by thecampster
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

I really love taking a shot at high upside with this pick and so philosophically like taking someone like Jalen Johnson who has the high pedigree and whose draft stock was almost certainly hurt by his leaving school is a great gamble.  

Don't like the fact that he is from Duke given Atlanta's history with Duke picks but he did have the good sense to leave early so that is promising.  :grin:

Welcome to the ATL Jalen Johnson!

• Haha 3