• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jalen Johnson - WELCOME TO THE HAWKS!

RandomFan

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, thecampster said:

So I did some research on Jalen's health issue.

Back in December 2020, Jalen suffered an undisclosed foot injury. He wore a protective boot while out and came back about 5 weeks later. He played in 6 games after coming back and in his first full game back scored 24 pts, 16 reb, 7 assists. His foot issues returned with some soreness and swelling affecting his production over the next 5 games and then 2 more games where they reduced his minutes.  

This and fear over COVID pre-draft led him to get with Coach K. The decision to shut him down came from both Coach K and Jalen. He wanted time to heal before workouts for the draft. Duke and its coaching staff aided in the decision and agree it was in his best interest. Regardless of his permanently shutting it down, the coaching staff was planning to shut him down temporarily anyway to prepare for the tournament.

The decision was a team decision to shut him down for 3 more weeks or to just shut it down for the tournaments as well. This was so he could skip attending practices all together and let the foot rest. Per reports, it was his choice to skip it all together but it wasn't a "quit" scenario, it was an attempt to let him heal for the draft.

So bright spot, he was hurt and putting up 13/8 while playing hurt in games he played 20+ minutes. Other bright spot is he was focused on his NBA future. Negative was did he let his team down but it isn't as cut and dry as "he quit". He was going to be shut down regardless, the only question was if he would be available again for the postseason tourneys.

I haven't followed him closely prior to now but I'd bet that him leaving his first high school after his sophmore year, his second high school after his junior year, his third high school in the middle of his senior year and then leaving Duke writes an easy narrative if a writer is inclined to be critical of his choices and/or commitment.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AHF said:

I haven't followed him closely prior to now but I'd bet that him leaving his first high school after his sophmore year, his second high school after his junior year, his third high school in the middle of his senior year and then leaving Duke writes an easy narrative if a writer is inclined to be critical of his choices and/or commitment.

My only issue with him. Is he committed when things start getting tough? How well will he react to not getting big minutes early on? We'll have to see. 

1 minute ago, ATLHawks3 said:

My only issue with him. Is he committed when things start getting tough? How well will he react to not getting big minutes early on? We'll have to see. 

I think it's fair to raise this issue.  Not only leaving Duke, he went to like 4-5 high schools.  I imagine he had multiple AAU programs too.

I'm not saying it's something, but it's not nothing.

• Like 4

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, ATLHawks3 said:

2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I think it's fair to raise this issue.  Not only leaving Duke, he went to like 4-5 high schools.  I imagine he had multiple AAU programs too.

I'm not saying it's something, but it's not nothing.

It looked like he spent two years at his original HS and then moved to a bigger one.  After they won the D2 state championship his junior year, he started focusing on college / pros and went to IMG to set the table for that but got hurt and ended up returning to the high school he left and playing out the season with them once he got healthy.

My hope is that all the missed times and questions it raised gave us a huge buying opportunity on a high end talent at a low draft price.  If he ends up being a headcase, then it was a 20th pick so they wash out all the time.  I like the gamble.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Has talent, but definitely needs to earn his keep and the respect of his teammates.  Quit on his college team to focus on himself.  

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

I saw that.  Biggest hands in the draft.  Would love to see the draft history on players with biggest hands.  Although that sounds like a fetish.  

You know what they say about guys with big hands. BIG ISOTONER GLOVES!

~lw3

• Haha 4

29 minutes ago, AHF said:

It looked like he spent two years at his original HS and then moved to a bigger one.  After they won the D2 state championship his junior year, he started focusing on college / pros and went to IMG to set the table for that but got hurt and ended up returning to the high school he left and playing out the season with them once he got healthy.

My hope is that all the missed times and questions it raised gave us a huge buying opportunity on a high end talent at a low draft price.  If he ends up being a headcase, then it was a 20th pick so they wash out all the time.  I like the gamble.

He over all these injuries?

2 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I could not find anything but he wasn't asked to go before medical like Butler so that's a good thing.

Yeah, me either.

But maaaan, I wish we had a dude on the board with some insiders ....

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47wqg39yutrw1cfojyzs

(I'm kidding, couldn't miss the opportunity to use that gif)

• Haha 2

So watching the videos I'm only seeing 1 real mechanical flaw but I'm noticing something else.

So he is a smidge late on his release meaning he's pushing the ball more with his hands than he needs to.

which brings me to point two.

Holy hell this cat is strong. The exact opposite of draftee Cam with core strength. He is not shooting completely with his legs, he's barely flicking the wrist and still putting tons behind the ball. He's got a really strong core, has worked on his joint strength (rare for a 19/20 year old). He has way less to work on than Cam with his shot. Way less. Release point in the jump is pretty much all I could honestly critique.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
32 minutes ago, kg01 said:

He over all these injuries?

26 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I could not find anything but he wasn't asked to go before medical like Butler so that's a good thing.

Schlenk said they received his medicals and didn't see any red flags but they will do a work up today in Atlanta.