Welcome to Atlanta, Sharife Cooper

NBASupes

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Nicknames for Sharife? 

Supercooper?

image.gif.b4886a6549d7bd58587f70aeaa7ddef5.gif

:haha: Winnie Cooper! had a crush on her back in the day 💘

Trav nailed this draft! oh boy I'm excited to see these guys play in summer league. 

• Like 1

Look. I'm gonna say it. Its NOT a negative on Trae. Sharife appears to be as good or a better passer than even Trae. WHY?  Its because his FIRST instinct is to get others involved. Trae finishes at the rim for his own shot. This guy finishes to get YOU to the rim. 

If the guy had a DECENT jumper, he is a allstar. Travis keeps finding these players.  Again, he is NOT Trae Young. Let me make that clear. He is the playmaker the Hawks need in addition to Trae. The second unit has a legit starting NBA point guard. There is now zero drop off in playmaking ability when Trae is not on the floor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gurpilo said:

First time in many many years we got a steal on 2nd round. I always was looking at other teams getting steals and wondering why we saw no value at 2nd round. There have been several cases on recent years that many people saw It clear and we were passing. Well finnally we were the obra getting the 2nd round steal this year.

The only issue is that Cooper is a bad fit next to Trae, we needed a Big defensive PG and Cooper is as small and a bad defender. However his potential is so Big that you cannot pass on a player like that

Dunn is that big defender for the second unit. You could play Cooper next to Trae in a small lineup with Hunter and Cam as the wings to provide cover.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

This fills a need in the second unit, no more Bogi and Huerter having to play minutes at the 1 where they are defensive liabilities. I know this kid isn't a defnder, but this will be a net positive on both ends for the 2nd unit in my opinion. We'll trot out

Sharif/Dunn

Huerter

Cam/Johnson

Gallo/Johnson

Okonguw

That's fire right there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Strengths 

Has a real case as the best ballhandler in this class. He is a ridiculous playmaker with the ball in hand. Has real speed and keeps the ball on a string while changing pace and direction with ease. Very good at shifting gears. Has a good crossover and a nasty inside-out dribble that freezes defenders. Tough combination of herky-jerky handles with a smooth acceleration. Really reacts to how defenders play him, then makes his own move after they make theirs as opposed to pre-ordaining them. Despite lacking size, he plays through contact well. Hard to displace him as he makes his initial move. Has good core strength to where he doesn’t lose his balance. Because of that, he lives at the rim. His 6.1 attempts at the rim in half-court settings was the most of any guard in college basketball this past season. 

Additionally, an elite live-dribble passer. Can make every pass in the book after drawing defenders toward him. Knows how to patiently bring the help toward him and draw them out to open passing angles. Knows how to manipulate defenders with his eyes before throwing impressive no-look passes.

Weaknesses  

He’s 6-foot-1 or so with an even wingspan. There just aren’t many guys in the NBA who have success at those dimensions, and those dimensions are a particular issue for some of the weaknesses that already bear themselves out in his game, despite his tremendous production.

With his scoring efficiency, he can get where he needs to go, but once he gets there, can he do enough to get what he has to? Really struggles to shoot the ball. Made 82.5 percent of free throws but was really rough in the run of play. Hit under 25 percent from 3. Has real natural touch, but it takes him far too long to load into the shot. Not fluid with ball pickup and has a bit of a two-motion jumper that leads to more contested shots. Also has a natural left lean to his shot that seems to slightly throw off his balance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Question for the draft experts because i don't watch a ton of college.   I'm always pumped with our draft prospects but it seems like everyone thinks Cooper is a lot better than Mays right?   Was it just a deeper draft for PGs this year or Cooper fell for some other reasons?

16 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Question for the draft experts because i don't watch a ton of college.   I'm always pumped with our draft prospects but it seems like everyone thinks Cooper is a lot better than Mays right?   Was it just a deeper draft for PGs this year or Cooper fell for some other reasons?

Mays is a tad better at Basketball as a prospect than Cooper is right now but Cooper is a lot more gifted and has superior upside. Generally guys with Coop's talent goes in the top 10, not in late 40s, early 50s range. While you can find Mays in this range like every year. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Wtf it’s like the NBA is trying to help Schlenk build Voltron.  They ought to be ashamed letting this kid fall into a situation where he can nearly replicate what Trae does while sharpening his skills versus Dunn’s ball pressure and just flat out competing with Mays.  When he mentioned Jimmy Butler you know I was done.  This kid is a pure hooper.  Our depth is gonna be just silly.

Schmitz does an excellent job with these by the way.  On what planet do you put him on the same draft analysis panel as Kendrick Perkins is beyond me.  I’ve never been this remotely intrigued/ ecstatic about a Hawks offseason.

• Like 3

Just now, benhillboy said:

Wtf it’s like the NBA is trying to help Schlenk build Voltron.  They ought to be ashamed letting this kid fall into a situation where he can nearly replicate what Trae does while sharpening his skills versus Dunn’s ball pressure and just flat out competing with Mays.  When he mentioned Jimmy Butler you know I was done.  This kid is a pure hooper.  Our depth is gonna be just silly.

Schmitz does an excellent job with these by the way.  On what planet do you put him on the same draft analysis panel as Kendrick Perkins is beyond me.  I’ve never been this remotely intrigued/ ecstatic about a Hawks offseason.

I love Perk for what he is, I didn't enjoy his player analysis but I enjoyed his personality and entertainment, especially in the 2nd round. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, NBASupes said:

It's been awhile. When the last time we hit on a 2nd rounder? The Ferry era with Mike Scott and Muscala? 

Devonte Graham was pretty good for a 2nd rdr....Oh wait..lol

7 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I love Perk for what he is, I didn't enjoy his player analysis but I enjoyed his personality and entertainment, especially in the 2nd round. 

True he is like your crazy uncle in that respect.

I don’t worry about the obvious knocks on his defense.  He’ll know out the gate if he doesn’t put forth effort for Nate he ain’t getting no run.  With our abundance of screeners, finishers, and shooters I’m confident he’s gonna do what he needs to unlock the loads of fun he can have with this roster.

Edited by benhillboy

Cooper is exactly what this team needs from our backup PG. We need another “engine” when Trae hits the bench. I said this a week or so ago and Schlenk pulled it off…with a 2nd round pick. Literally the best facilitator in the draft…in the 2nd round.

• Like 2