• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Gorgui Dieng signs with the Atlanta Hawks. One-year, $4 Million.

Gray Mule

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, sturt said:

Pardon the repeat, but know that all the numbers of those signed are valid (but feel free to double check me).....

2021-07-30_20-22-00.png

So you've only used a portion of the MLE for a  Center and that's assuming JC doesn't start at $28 mil (i don't think it will). And it also includes bringing back Lou.

Cutting it mighty close to the tax.

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong but I can't remember a small ball team that has won the championship.  Los Angeles, Golden State,Toronto all had a size presence. We're going to run into quality bigs in the playoffs/ championship run. I really don't want to go to battle with Gorgui Dieng,Cody Zellar or a 6ft 8 center. The bigs shouldn't be an after thought. Our rebounding champion struggled down the stretch.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I dont think we're a small ball team though.  We attack the midrange more than most.

Faltering against MIL was more about injuries than roster construction.

We play at any pace any size. Schlenk made us versatile. We can run and bang. :indifferent:

• Like 3

Two players on the regular roster 6ft 10. No seven footers, teams looking at us as soft or not being physical and attacking us becauseof it. The reigning MVP was injured for the bucks. Under no circumstances was Hunter going to do anything but foul out against the freak. Too often we settled for 3 pointers. We can be stubborn and not address the issue but we will have to pay. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FL_BRYANT said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I can't remember a small ball team that has won the championship.  Los Angeles, Golden State,Toronto all had a size presence. We're going to run into quality bigs in the playoffs/ championship run. I really don't want to go to battle with Gorgui Dieng,Cody Zellar or a 6ft 8 center. The bigs shouldn't be an after thought. Our rebounding champion struggled down the stretch.

Draymond Green was their primary center during their championship runs and you don't think Golden State was a small ball team? Notice I said primary center, not only. Yes I know they had some bigger guys on the bench but they didn't have much impact in the playoffs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FL_BRYANT said:

Two players on the regular roster 6ft 10. No seven footers, teams looking at us as soft or not being physical and attacking us becauseof it. The reigning MVP was injured for the bucks. Under no circumstances was Hunter going to do anything but foul out against the freak. Too often we settled for 3 pointers. We can be stubborn and not address the issue but we will have to pay. 

Yeah, let's just sign Embiid then.

Sheesh, what's your solution?

GS always had bigs they could use for defense. They were never bullied. Mcgee,Bogut,Zaza, Cousins,Speights,Ezeli,Varejo,Lee, West. Not the greatest but they were physical in the paint and protected Steph from being bullied. They ran the Hamptons unit at times but you can get away with it when the other team doesn't have a strong post game and you got Steph, Klay and Durant. Basketball is a physical sport, We can throw our hands up in the air or we can find someone to at least offer some resistance. You can't answer a 7 ft problem with a 6ft 8 answer.

• Like 1

Has Bam won a championship? I'll catch on once you win. Until then I'll take Davis,Howard and Magee vs Bam any day of the week. If you paid any attention to Bam's game you would have noticed he avoided the paint this year and was told to quit playing on the perimeter and get in the paint.  That's what size will do to you. I'm not only looking at size I just want to make sure we don't ignore it. 

Dieng for me is perfect fit, he is listed as 6’10” but in some sites he is 6’11”, does not look small in the court to me, he looks big and defends well big centers, he looks bigger than Capela honestly. I would like him because we can also pair him with Okongwu and Capela as he can play on the perimeter playing PF.

As he probably is too expensive I think we could go with guys like Cousins, Whiteside, Drummond, McGee, Noel... there are plenty of options

3 hours ago, FL_BRYANT said:

GS always had bigs they could use for defense. They were never bullied. Mcgee,Bogut,Zaza, Cousins,Speights,Ezeli,Varejo,Lee, West. Not the greatest but they were physical in the paint and protected Steph from being bullied. They ran the Hamptons unit at times but you can get away with it when the other team doesn't have a strong post game and you got Steph, Klay and Durant. Basketball is a physical sport, We can throw our hands up in the air or we can find someone to at least offer some resistance. You can't answer a 7 ft problem with a 6ft 8 answer.

Solutions?

Simply complaining doesn't make much of a discussion.

hace 9 minutos, kg01 dijo:

Solutions?

Simply complaining doesn't make much of a discussion.

Well there are a lot of players like that on FA this year, Cousins, Mcgee, Drummond, Whiteside, Noel... I agree is a weakness and should be easy to address on FA. Anyway I still think Dieng would provide more versatility due to his floor spacing although is an inch shorter but he is good enough on defense to help with big C.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gurpilo said:

Well there are a lot of players like that on FA this year, Cousins, Mcgee, Drummond, Whiteside, Noel... I agree is a weakness and should be easy to address on FA. Anyway I still think Dieng would provide more versatility due to his floor spacing although is an inch shorter but he is good enough on defense to help with big C.

I think we're all on the same page and most of us recognize free agency hasn't even started yet.

I find it strange to indict the whole process as if the current roster is complete.

I think they should go after all the bigs you mentioned.  None should command an exorbitant ( @Spud2nique, that E encyclopedia strikes again) amount.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, FL_BRYANT said:

This is a fair point but do try to remember all of our players are on the young side of their twenties and are all putting on a few pounds every year. Missing Cam/Hunter throughout the playoffs made us look smaller.  It was evident when Gallo came in because he's got that 30 year old extra bulk. He's harder to move when backing him down. This is why you see so many bigs start to peak around 26, 27.  Jaren Jackson might be terrifying at 28. But those missing 15 ish lbs make all the difference in the world in holding your spot, pushing people off of theirs and having your legs at the end of a game.   A big like Embiid being able to spin into his spot or having to spin away from it is a 5 foot farther from the basket shot. It really affects things.  Part of this process (I'm coming to hate that word) is guys adding weight.

See this rookie video of Karl Malone and compare it to Malone 1998.  Malone was huge coming out of college (6'9", 250lbs) but became a monster as 30 year old pro.  He was closer to 280 in 1998.

vs

Edited by thecampster
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, FL_BRYANT said:

GS always had bigs they could use for defense. They were never bullied. Mcgee,Bogut,Zaza, Cousins,Speights,Ezeli,Varejo,Lee, West. 

I would go ahead and subtract at least 1.25" from these guys listed overall height, because we see what has happened with the 'real' heights. :ph34r:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, FL_BRYANT said:

It's taboo to say... but maybe Houston. 

Although dream was listed at 7 foot...  He was more like 6'9"  - 6'10. 

Otis Thorpe was a legit 6'8" - 6'9".... Dream was not much bigger than he

KPRC 2 Houston on Twitter: "#TBT! Houston Rockets Otis Thorpe, Hakeem  Olajuwon exchange high fives in their 1994 victory over the Knicks in the  NBA Championships #KPRC2… https://t.co/LVPXPdTrYc"

But Dream Scorched Bigs.... Ain't that right Shaq!!

7 hours ago, FL_BRYANT said:

So follow GWS and get solid bigs for a reasonable price. It’s that easy… 

I believe Schlenk to find that right guy.