• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What's left to be done?

capstone21

6 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

His natural position should be SF I think that's what he was mainly playing in college. I think PF will be his secondary position and mainly he'll play it depending on matchups or injuries.

He was playing Center at Duke. PF will most likely be his primary position, SF secondary. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Diesel said:

Nope...

We will be trading Gallo for Capspace to sign our other players (Cam, Hunter).   It's the way of all things.   Specifically.. I was thinking ending contracts like either at the end of the season...  Gallo to Dallas for W-C Stein and Maxi Klebber.  or something like that...

Huh? Gallo's contract will be 100% off the books by the time Cam and Hunter would get paid (summer of 2023 is when their extensions would kick in). There's literally no way trading him would create cap space for Cam or Hunter.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Lou's advance metrics were horrible during the regular season for the Hawks.  BPM -4.9 and Voip -.4.  WS - 0.  He was better in the playoffs but the numbers were probably skewed by a couple of good games.  Skylar Mays on the other had a BPM 1.0, Voip .2,  WS .8 all positive as a rookie.  Give me Mays over Lou this up coming season.

• Premium Member

I think Mays has a legit chance to stick as a reserve guard. My guess is that the Hawks will give him a multi-year minimum deal with non-guarantees scattered throughout.

What about Garrison Matthews on a minimum deal to round out the roster?

5 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Honestly, we don't NEED anything. Any additions at this point are gravy. Our Top 10 is rock solid. Obviously we have the injuries and rehabs to navigate through to start the year, but I feel good about our options.

PG- Trae, Wright, Cooper

SG- Bogi, Kev, Mays

SF- Dre, Cam, Solo

PF- JC,  Gallo, JJ

C- Clint, OO, Dieng

There is room for a couple more bodies if we so choose. But there aren't any NEEDs left.

I agree not as much on the court but it's good to have vet insurance. In our case Millsap and Williams will be the mentor and extra edge/dogs that championship teams need.

Lou can still microwave when needed but his mentor role/from here advantage gives that extra edge.

Millsap similar with playing here and another tough player to go along with Solomon. He could also like many said be a defensive back up for Gallo (till Johnsons ready) and even small ball C (until OO comes back) when needed if we want to keep the floor spaced.

When our rookies are ready they can definitely be stay on the reserve role with Solomon and mentor/push and back up our young team.

The Lakers may be "old" but they still have 4 or more hall of famers.

I think deep teams will be the new norm when it comes to building/having a championship roster. We are setting a trend that can last for awhile being one of the youngest deep teams in the league. Until we get over that hump, vets will come in handy to give us that edge. Especially former Hawks Lou Will and Paul Mill.

2 hours ago, RandomFan said:

He was playing Center at Duke. PF will most likely be his primary position, SF secondary. 

This. He couldn't shoot well enough to be on the wing full time. He was a 4 playing 5

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sillent said:

I agree not as much on the court but it's good to have vet insurance. In our case Millsap and Williams will be the mentor and extra edge/dogs that championship teams need.

Lou can still microwave when needed but his mentor role/from here advantage gives that extra edge.

Millsap similar with playing here and another tough player to go along with Solomon. He could also like many said be a defensive back up for Gallo (till Johnsons ready) and even small ball C (until OO comes back) when needed if we want to keep the floor spaced.

When our rookies are ready they can definitely be stay on the reserve role with Solomon and mentor/push and back up our young team.

The Lakers may be "old" but they still have 4 or more hall of famers.

I think deep teams will be the new norm when it comes to building/having a championship roster. We are setting a trend that can last for awhile being one of the youngest deep teams in the league. Until we get over that hump, vets will come in handy to give us that edge. Especially former Hawks Lou Will and Paul Mill.

Im down to add both, as long as everyone is on the same page about minutes and how they will be used. I can't see them having regular playing time, and I hope they understand that going in to it because they both are good enough to be in a contenders top 8.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, NBASupes said:

We kinda short on wings

Hunter/Cam/Bogi/Huerter is great but after that, it gets WEAK. Hill and Mays? JJ is a combo forward. Doesn't shoot well enough to be a wing.

Basically, we could use a Snell replacement. I think he had the quietest exit this offseason. 

Didn't show up in the playoffs, but he played a great roll in the RS.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, bird_dirt said:

Basically, we could use a Snell replacement. I think he had the quietest exit this offseason. 

He was key for a stretch before Bogi came back... but yea, he completely smoke bombed come playoff time, I don't think anyone will miss him, but definitely appreciate what he contributed overall on the year. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, niremetal said:

Huh? Gallo's contract will be 100% off the books by the time Cam and Hunter would get paid (summer of 2023 is when their extensions would kick in). There's literally no way trading him would create cap space for Cam or Hunter.

Nope, but it could be a move we look to make if we have our heart set on keeping Huerter along with Cam and Hunter. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

When are the Hawks playing?

• Sunday, Aug. 8 vs. Boston Celtics, 4 pm ET, NBA TV
  • Tuesday, Aug. 10 vs. Indiana Pacers, 6 pm ET, NBA TV
  • Thursday, Aug. 12 vs. Philadelphia 76ers, 9 pm ET, ESPN2
  • Saturday, Aug. 14 vs. Miami Heat, 4 pm ET, ESPN2

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Nope, but it could be a move we look to make if we have our heart set on keeping Huerter along with Cam and Hunter. 

Gallo is only guaranteed $5M next season, so I don't think that will have any bearing on whether we extend Huerter. I suspect Schlenk structured Gallo's contract that way precisely so it wouldn't kill us when Trae and Huerter were due to get paid.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

I'm hoping our main 4 wings and Trae and company improve in the shooting area which they should. Especially Bogi, Cam and Huerter making their shots more consistently.

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, sillent said:

Jalen Johnson was Knight's replacement (even took his number) and Gallo replacement. He's insurance for our wings but he's definitely Gallo's replacement.

No doubt.. but when the time comes, if we can get some players who can help out for the rest of their contract (the year) that would be nice.   I mentioned Gallo for Cauley Stein and Kebbler earlier.. I still like the idea. 

• Premium Member
32 minutes ago, niremetal said:

Gallo is only guaranteed $5M next season, so I don't think that will have any bearing on whether we extend Huerter. I suspect Schlenk structured Gallo's contract that way precisely so it wouldn't kill us when Trae and Huerter were due to get paid.

I don't pretend to know how this works.  As I read it, it seems as though the cap hit is still 21.5 Million.  And that only changes if we trade or waive him which means he gets 5 Million?  If that's not right, make it make sense. 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Diesel said:

I don't pretend to know how this works.  As I read it, it seems as though the cap hit is still 21.5 Million.  And that only changes if we trade or waive him which means he gets 5 Million?  If that's not right, make it make sense. 

You've basically got it. If we decide to keep him in 2022-23, we'll owe him the full $21M. But we waive him at the end of next season (which I fully expect us to, unless he totally balls out and wins the Sixth Man Award), we only pay him $5M. That $5M will essentially be dead cap space and he will become a free agent. BUT (and this is the good news) if/when another team signs him, the amount of that $5M cap hit will essentially be reduced by however much his new team pays him. So if a team signs him next summer for the ~$4M BAE, our dead cap hit for him will only be ~$1M.

This is why Gallo is all but a non-factor when it comes to figuring out who gets paid in future seasons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, sturt said:

That's within the realm of the kind of player that could fit. But WAS can bring him back as an RFA, of course.

They're kinda up against the hard cap AND just drafted Kispert. A decent offer sheet..  they'd likely pass.

• Like 2