What's left to be done?

capstone21

• Premium Member

Can't understand why people keep talking as-if we have a place on the bench for another big. We simply do not, unless there is a trade that removes one of Capela, OO, Dieng, Collins, Gallo or Johnson and/or maybe Hill who plays some PF. Most of those guys we cannot trade for awhile. Gallo is really the only one that has been mentioned to any degree. Maybe there's some trade that will come to light on Friday. But failing that eventuality, we're set on bigs for the start of the season.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

The Ukrainian Sniper intrigues me in the same vein that Garrison Mathews does. Slightly larger frame. There are others I prefer, but these guys are probably the level of talent that we should anticipate having interest, given that our rotation is full.

• Premium Member

My Thursday morning money is on a Lou signing for as much as can be afforded under the lux tax (though I acknowledge, @thecampster it's not a huge deal to go over), Skylar getting a 15-man slot, and Admiral Schofield getting the remaining two-way.

2021-08-05_07-04-14.png

• Premium Member

A wing player, can't gave enough. Solo shouldn't play unless in a real emergency. So we only have 4 wings: Bogdon, Huerter, Hunter, Reddish.

PG: Young, Wright
SG: Bogdan, Huerter
SF: Hunter, Reddish, Solo
PF: Collins, Gallinari, Johnson
C Capela, Dieng, Okongwu

Cooper (2 Way)

Mays (???)

4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

A wing player, can't gave enough. Solo shouldn't play unless in a real emergency. So we only have 4 wings: Bogdon, Huerter, Hunter, Reddish.

C Capela, Dieng, Okongwu

Cooper (2 Way)

Mays (???)

If healthy we shouldn't need much more. These are 4 wings we want to develop more and give alot of minutes to. 

We also have Delon Wright and Jalen Johnson that can play those roles as well as a possible Gallo, JC, Clint lineup we can play to compensate in that area.

I think we are better off than most people expect in that regard. Honestly Jalen Johnson may be more of a wing right now than a powerfoward until he bulks up.

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, niremetal said:

You've basically got it. If we decide to keep him in 2022-23, we'll owe him the full $21M. But we waive him at the end of next season (which I fully expect us to, unless he totally balls out and wins the Sixth Man Award), we only pay him $5M. That $5M will essentially be dead cap space and he will become a free agent. BUT (and this is the good news) if/when another team signs him, the amount of that $5M cap hit will essentially be reduced by however much his new team pays him. So if a team signs him next summer for the ~$4M BAE, our dead cap hit for him will only be ~$1M.

This is why Gallo is all but a non-factor when it comes to figuring out who gets paid in future seasons.

That's why I said that it would be easier to move him by the end of this season for something and an ending contract. 

There are going to be other teams in contention that would like to shore up their shooting.  IF we are satisfied with our team without Gallo, we can then look and see if there's an ending contract and a young player that we can go for.. if not, then we just hold on to Gallo. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

C Capela, Dieng, Okongwu

Cooper (2 Way)

Mays (???)

I think JJ will play a lot of small forward.  Reddish will play a lot of Shooting guard

JJ can play offensively right now...but he's gonna need some time to guard on the wing. I'm not expecting him to get major minutes for at least 20 games. I could be wrong. He has to climb over JC, Gallo, Hunter, Reddish, Huerter for minutes. He's a great athletic prospect but there is a learning curve.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Think it's really hard to make any solid assessment of what JJ is capable of doing. The tape on him is relatively thin, and acknowledging the elephant in the room, he didn't exactly leave Duke having been the core of their starting five. Heck, he wasn't even starting, which some believe was the biggest part of why he quit... can't really know if it was that or legit frustration with how his foot injury was affecting his play, or something else.

The safest thing that can be said is he has the physique to guard NBA stretch 4s, and offensively, he's dynamite on the break. Maybe he can do more than that, but let's start with what appears to be the most likely.

17 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I think JJ will play a lot of small forward.

Maybe eventually. That would be great. But at first probably not.

12 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I'm not expecting him to get major minutes for at least 20 games.

Who knows how McM has tended to play rookies... not me, and while I could go look it up, today's just too busy for me to carve out that time... but our previous coaches here have seemed to wait until after the ASG to begin giving any substantive minutes to their rooks.

At 6-5 I fully expect Delon Wright to get minutes at SG if we are in a pinch. One reason I loved the pick up is his potential to play next to Trae and it not hurt us defensively. Same applies if we add Lou.

Lou and Wright can both play on and off the ball while still matching up defensively size-wise with other backcourts.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I don't understand the rush to replace proven vets with unproven draftees. Like we have any idea what we have in Jalen Johnson. Some guys aren't even playable until their 3rd year in the league.

I think people forget what Schlenk has said....we are no longer in strictly a development phase where we just give guys minutes because we drafted them, we are in a different phase of growth so they'll have to earn those minutes. Our two draftees will be spending ample time in the GL this year and the good thing is, if we ever needed them for a home game or 2, they'll be readily avaialble.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, sturt said:

Maybe eventually. That would be great. But at first probably not.

I think he is a natural passer and probably a better ball handler than Hunter.  He certainly sees the floor better than Hunter now.  I couldn't tell what his perimeter defense looked like but he does have the fluidity to play it.

3 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I don't understand the rush to replace proven vets with unproven draftees. Like we have any idea what we have in Jalen Johnson. Some guys aren't even playable until their 3rd year in the league.

I totally agree considering we aren't in talent development mode anymore, we are trying to compete at the highest level.

But, in that same light, we are talking about our 3rd string at this point. They are not being relied upon for anything but practice reps and emergency minutes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I don't understand the rush to replace proven vets with unproven draftees.

It's why I was holding out hope we might just punt the pick to another year... fwiw. Regression to the mean suggests Schlenk might not strike gold with a late first on the third of three chances as he did the first two (JC, Kvon). But, maybe the General's just that good. And he is pretty good.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

At 6-5 I fully expect Delon Wright to get minutes at SG if we are in a pinch. One reason I loved the pick up is his potential to play next to Trae and it not hurt us defensively. Same applies if we add Lou.

Lou and Wright can both play on and off the ball while still matching up defensively size-wise with other backcourts.

No minutes for Lou at the 2.  Barely minutes for Huerter at the 2 without injury.  when there is an injury. Cam will slide to the 2 which I think is his best position anyway

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think people forget what Schlenk has said....we are no longer in strictly a development phase where we just give guys minutes because we drafted them, we are in a different phase of growth so they'll have to earn those minutes. Our two draftees will be spending ample time in the GL this year and the good thing is, if we ever needed them for a home game or 2, they'll be readily avaialble.

We were winning games with gleague players so i would venture to speculate that JJ is better than Nathan Knight and Goodwin.

• Like 1