• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Kevin Huerter and Hawks begin talks on contract extension

JayBirdHawk

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Randle owns Collins..  Own? Randle was putrid in the playoffs

Sabonis at 18 is great.. he received that contract at a much lower salary cap and it was an early extension, if he had waited for RFA he would have likely gotten more money

Issac avgs 17.5 a year which is good...he is also consistently injured so he had to settle

(Collins avg 7 more a yr than Isaac and Sabonis) - and well deserved based on when he received his contract and health

Cleveland had to pay Allen(nobody is going to Cleveland) Hawks had to pay Collins and Tobias is waaaaay overpaid. Yes he is

Horford and Love are vets on 3rd or 4th contracts. They dont count..lol - there aren't many PFs in his age range that I could think of off hand without further research.

Randle was putrid Thanks to Hunter........

And the Hawks did not have to pay Collins..

They offered a fair deal imo for a player thats limited offensively and defensively..

I wanted to keep him, but not at 25 mill thats all..

But hey, it isnt my $..lol

Edited by terrell
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It wasn't only Hunter though.  It was an entirely different game plan on defense vs Randle in the playoffs.  

And a little bit of

image.jpeg.1b75e8990d7fadcdab761ec7c3cd6079.jpeg

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Why is a thread about Kevin's extension being used as an excuse to bash Collins? Unreal. Newsflash: it isn't your money to pay either guy. 

Whos bashing Collins? Calm down..lol

Edited by terrell

14 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Why is a thread about Kevin's extension being used as an excuse to bash Collins? Unreal. Newsflash: it isn't your money to pay either guy. 

Just seems like everybody is expecting Kev to take hometown discount or wtvr..Thats why I brought up Collins.He bet on himself and got a better deal....Perhaps Kev should too? I wanted to keep Collins btw. Just not at that amount..If thats "bashing" so be it...

Edited by terrell

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

But Kevin at this point is a more replaceable player than JC.   Yeah we all love him and see what he could become but he's decent shooter, decent scorer, decent defender off the bench wing right now.    How many of those are there in the NBA compared to 4/5s that can shoot the 3 at 40% and have crazy athleticism at 6'10" like JC.  

I'm not knocking Kevin.  If i were him i'd do exactly what JC did because it feels like he's on the brink of a real breakout season.    But Hawks would be dumb to offer big money on an extension when they can just do what they did with JC or even better just wait to match an offer for Kevin.

I agree with all the premises here. But I think the most likely outcome is that, absent a significant injury or regression by Bogi (or no significant improvement from Cam), we trade Huerter at the deadline in a major consolidation trade that brings us a second star. Either a package with Capela to bring in an even more elite big, or in a package with Gallo's effectively-expiring contract to a team that's going nowhere now but could see Huerter taking on a major role with them (or that would be in a better position than us to sign-and-trade him next offseason).

Like you said, Huerter is in a weird spot where he is kind of replaceable in his current role on the Hawks, but he could be another team's Bogi--a big (a bit taller than Bogi, but less wingspan) guard who is serviceable on D and a versatile scorer. If we think Bogi's going to maintain his level of play for the next 2-3 seasons and that Cam will continue improving for the next couple years as well, then Huerter's the odd man out here. And we would probably rather get significant assets for him than be in the position to match a contract that we *really* don't want to match. Because unlike JC, Huerter is unlikely to be a projected starter here next season, and there's a real chance he gets a 4/$80M offer, which is way too much/too long to commit to a guy who we don't think will ever start.

Edited by niremetal

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, gHost83 said:

I think Schröder's fumbling of the bag may give us some leverage.  Banking on yourself could have some huge consequences...  After a career year, maybe it would be wise to take what you can get...

Dennis is a head-case and isn't starting point guard material though. He was banking on the Lakers having no options.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Kev is a 12 per guy who shot 36% from three last year which is around league average. Collins has had All Star caliber seasons, and has averaged 21-10 per 36 mins in his four year career and has shot 40% from three each of the last two seasons. Whatever Collins got has no bearing on Huerter. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, niremetal said:

I agree with all the premises here. But I think the most likely outcome is that, absent a significant injury or regression by Bogi (or no significant improvement from Cam), we trade Huerter at the deadline in a major consolidation trade that brings us a second star. Either a package with Capela to bring in an even more elite big, or in a package with Gallo's effectively-expiring contract to a team that's going nowhere now but could see Huerter taking on a major role with them (or that would be in a better position than us to sign-and-trade him next offseason).

Like you said, Huerter is in a weird spot where he is kind of replaceable in his current role on the Hawks, but he could be another team's Bogi--a big (a bit taller than Bogi, but less wingspan) guard who is serviceable on D and a versatile scorer. If we think Bogi's going to maintain his level of play for the next 2-3 seasons and that Cam will continue improving for the next couple years as well, then Huerter's the odd man out here. And we would probably rather get significant assets for him than be in the position to match a contract that we *really* don't want to match. Because unlike JC, Huerter is unlikely to be a projected starter here next season, and there's a real chance he gets a 4/$80M offer, which is way too much/too long to commit to a guy who we don't think will ever start.

I agree  for the most part if we just have to make a trade. I also know if it's not broke don't fix it if we were to attempt to fix it I think a 22/23yr old Kevin will be a little more valuable than the 29yr old Bogi will in 3yrs.

More length, better defender, more athletic and I'm hoping we are able to get him on a cheaper deal than Bogi.

I like Bogi but let's be honest Kevin can get more consistent on his jump shot. Bogi can't reach Kevin's intangibles. If we have to get rid of anyone it should be our vets before our young proven talent that's only getting better.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, sillent said:

I agree  for the most part if we just have to make a trade. I also know if it's not broke don't fix it if we were to attempt to fix it I think a 22/23yr old Kevin will be a little more valuable than the 29yr old Bogi will in 3yrs.

More length, better defender, more athletic and I'm hoping we are able to get him on a cheaper deal than Bogi.

I like Bogi but let's be honest Kevin can get more consistent on his jump shot. Bogi can't reach Kevin's intangibles. If we have to get rid of anyone it should be our vets before our young proven talent that's only getting better.

I was with you in the first paragraph. But the next two...sorry, I just don't see it like that.

Re "more length," that's just not true. Huerter is listed as an inch taller than Bogi, but they measured the same height at their respective combines and Bogi actually has a 6'11 wingspan compared to Huerter's 6'7.75.

Re "better defender," I thought that until the playoffs. But in the playoffs, Bogi looked impressive defensively before his injury, and even made himself a pest after that. Bogi was very physical and used his length to get into the passing lanes. When it mattered most, Bogi stepped up his D to the level it needs to be. If you look at some of the close games we played down the stretch of the regular season, it was the same thing--Bogi got more physical and was a solid, disruptive defender in clutch situations. It's a bit annoying that he doesn't put in that effort defensively all the time, but that's just not unusual in the NBA, particularly when we're not asking Bogi to guard other teams' best players. I know it goes against the grain, but I think Bogi is on the same level as K'Von defensively--solid, but unspectacular.

I agree Huerter is more athletic, but Bogi's longer wingspan and what I think is just a higher overall BBIQ more than offsets that.

Most importantly, Bogi was truly an elite offensive player down the stretch last season. And even if you look at the season as a whole--that is, including the time LP was misusing Bogi and the time Bogi was shaking off the rust from his knee injury--there was literally no offensive metric where Huerter was better than Bogi.

In my view, Bogi today represents Huerter's ceiling. And since Bogi's game doesn't rely heavily on athleticism, but instead on his length, strength, incredibly quick release and accuracy on his jumper, and ability to dribble through traffic, his game should age gracefully. (Although I did say much the same thing about Joe Johnson and...not so much.)

I do think you're right that Huerter in 3 years will be a more marketable player than Bogi. But for that exact reason, I also seriously, seriously doubt we'll get him cheaper than Bogi. $18M a year is NOT a steep contract anymore for a player like Bogi (or Huerter), and I think some team will offer Huerter more than that next summer if he has another solid year because young wings who can score and defend don't come on the market every day. If we can convince Huerter to take, say, 4/$64M, by all means let's keep the man. But if wants to test the market (which I would tell him to do if I were his agent), I think there's a good chance he's gone at the deadline.

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
On 8/10/2021 at 8:19 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

Per Schlenk:

The team has talked with Kevin Huerter’s representation about his rookie extension. Schlenk said the plan is to have deeper conversations beginning next week

Hawks GM Travis Schlenk on star-hunting, free agency moves and the offseason – The Athletic

It's the end of the week......anything? anything?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

2018 Rookie Scale Extension Updates and Predictions | Spotrac Research

Only 3 so far have signed early extensions: Trae, Luka, Shai.

Surprised Ayton and Bridges in Phoenix have not yet been extended.

It'll probably get more serious towards the beginning of training camp. The deadline is to get an extension done is right before the season starts, so I wouldn't be to worried right now.