Kevin Huerter and Hawks begin talks on contract extension

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

The Hawks probably know that they're not going to be able to keep everybody.  DeAndre Hunter is a valued commodity by most of us, including the Hawks front office.  Cam's potential as a great 2-way player is also valued.

But if either of them get hurt for an extended amount of time during this season, and Kevin stays healthy, Kevin needs to be the one that we place the priority on keeping.

Until the other two do something like this to decide a playoff game ( not necessarily a playoff series ), Kevin may be the one that should be priority,  He's a Hawks legend for this game alone.

Huerter is the type of versatile wing every title contending team needs. But to me, that Game 7 proved to me that Huerter's ideal role is that of a super-role player who can usually be counted on to fill in whatever gaps our perimeter players need plugged in a given match up (though he still has consistency issues even in that role). Huerter went off in that game because Doc made the decision to have Seth Curry--a notoriously bad defender even against shorter guards--assigned to single-cover K'Von all game long. They would double the (hurt) Trae, but not K'Von.

Good on Huerter for exploiting that match-up (and on Nate for keeping going at Curry because Doc never adjusted) all game long. But that performance was perfectly consistent with a guy who should be making a bit south of what Bogi is making (not accounting for the fact that Bogi is underpaid).

My guess is we'll offer something like 4/65 and K'Von will follow in the footsteps of his boy JC and bet on himself to prove he's worth more than that this season. He will succeed if he cracks 40% from deep and gets a bit more consistent overall. 

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 3

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

He's a better player today. Will he be a better player four years from now when he is 33 and Huerter is 27? 

I'm not sure what Bogi gets paid is at all relevant to Huerter's market value that will drive his next contract.  

The fact that he isn't as good as Bogi today just goes to how teams will evaluate his present market value.  If he is projected to be better than Bogi is today in 4 years that will also affect his present market value because teams routinely pay for future growth with young players.  I don't think it matters at all to anyone how good Bogi will be in 4 years in determining how much they will offer Huerter next summer (assuming he doesn't resign this offseason) so whether Huerter is better than Bogi is irrelevant - the question that matters is how good will Huerter be over the next 4 years.  

The fact that Huerter will be a RFA will also be a help for us.

Huerter is in kind of a fascinating situation as a wing who is known primary for his offense but who hasn't averaged more than 12 ppg - particularly when you consider what our depth might look like for our wings if Bogi, Hunter, Cam, and Huerter are all healthy and blossoming and Jalen Johnson turns out to be good enough to carve out regular minutes at the 3.  That could result in a significant drop-off in minutes for someone like Huerter and if he maintains his current PP36 productivity, a rotation of something like JJ 6 minutes, Bogi 27 minutes, Hunter 27 minutes, Cam 20 minutes would only leave 18 minutes for Huerter which would leave him averaging around 7 points per game.  That could make him something of a risk to turn down a reasonable offer from the Hawks right now because that scenario is far from implausible.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

All things being equal I'd like to keep Kevin. But Kevin at 18 to 20 million a year, which his agent is probably asking for, seems like an overpay. It's not my money of course. If its all monopoly money to Ressler, then go ahead. 

If he can get that money on the open market next summer, we should match it. 

On 8/12/2021 at 4:20 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

Randle owns Collins..  Own? Randle was putrid in the playoffs

Sabonis at 18 is great.. he received that contract at a much lower salary cap and it was an early extension, if he had waited for RFA he would have likely gotten more money

Issac avgs 17.5 a year which is good...he is also consistently injured so he had to settle

(Collins avg 7 more a yr than Isaac and Sabonis) - and well deserved based on when he received his contract and health

Cleveland had to pay Allen(nobody is going to Cleveland) Hawks had to pay Collins and Tobias is waaaaay overpaid. Yes he is

Horford and Love are vets on 3rd or 4th contracts. They dont count..lol - there aren't many PFs in his age range that I could think of off hand without further research.

Sabonis also got his deal before he became a starter. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, mrhonline said:

I suffered through that podcast. General implication is that they think Huerter will ask for 4 yrs, $72M to match Bogi and then end up successfully getting close to that.

On the Dunc'd On podcast, they speculated the Hawks will low-ball with ~$52M, content to match offers next offseason.

Windy, however, believes Huerter would be sought after as an RFA, so that would motivate ATL to get closer to what Huerter wants.

I'd be happy if they split the difference at 4/$62.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, mrhonline said:

I suffered through that podcast. General implication is that they think Huerter will ask for 4 yrs, $72M to match Bogi and then end up successfully getting close to that.

On the Dunc'd On podcast, they speculated the Hawks will low-ball with ~$52M, content to match offers next offseason.

Windy, however, believes Huerter would be sought after as an RFA, so that would motivate ATL to get closer to what Huerter wants.

Thanks for taking one for the team. Was not looking forward to having to listen to that. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Before this offseason I would have said Kevin was worth 4/60 but I think his value is a decent bit higher.  His defensive improvement last season was incredible and he is versatile too.  He can defend a wide array of guys and plug in holes on offense.  If guys like Duncan Robinson -- who admittedly is a materially better 3P shooter right now -- are drawing $18M/year, I have to imagine Heurter is close to that.  He's much more athletic, plays much much better defense, can dribble, has a midrange game, and is 4 years younger.  I think Kev is going to net something around 4/70 or 4/75.  If Ressler wants to pay it, I'd love to keep him.  I remember the reports posted here about how he was the one guy that was always willing to help guys work on their game after practice, feed shooters, etc.    

• Premium Member

The big question with extending these young mid round picks is, how much more are they gonna develop through the life of the contract? I like what I've seen from Huerter on that end, his numbers on the surface don't show big jumps of development but his game has grown so much especially on the defensive end this past season under Nate. I hope we can keep him. 

• Like 2