• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jalen Johnson may be better than De'Andre Hunter and Cam Reddish

TheNorthCydeRises

One thing for sure.  Squawk posters can all declare, "WE BELIEVE!"

Yep.  We can all agree that Travis done good in this year's draft.  Before it's all over, some NBA fans whose favorite team passed on the Hawks picks, will be asking, "Why didn't we draft him?"

:sun: 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Played out of position and is best with the ball in his hands.

He's a 3, not a 4.  Nate will figure that out in due time.

Bro, he was used the same in the preseason as he was in the preseason. The gap in quality of play between the two levels is massive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
23 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Bro, he was used the same in the preseason as he was in the preseason. The gap in quality of play between the two levels is massive.

Playoffs > Regular Season >> Pre-Season >>> Summer League

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

We all know that he's good!  Why?  Because he's one of ours.  This makes him good!

Seriously, I read the good stuff that his coaches had to say at the end of the G League season.  They believed.  This makes me a believer, too!  If they know what they are talking about, and I believe that they do, then it's no suprise to me that he seems to be doing pretty good now.

😇

• Premium Member
On 10/20/2021 at 12:02 AM, bleachkit said:

Eh, Marvin was overrated as a prospect. 

Agreed, dude basically did all you could ask as far as put in work and expand his game developing an excellent three point shot. Just never had the talent to be anything other than just another dude. 

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I saw the tweet below and I was reminded of this thread. A year+ later .....thoughts @TheNorthCydeRises

I believe he is right. He adds a different dynamic to our team. A dynamic that is associated with winning, passing, defensive versatility, and mismatch ability. 

• Like 1

Jalen has a deep bag in his repertoire, he just lacks the confidence to go to it consistently.

He also isn't good enough at any one skill yet for us to tell him to just focus on that (Like shooting for AJ or defense for OO). He definitely doesn't even have the same feel in the PNR as our other bigs.

We would be smart to get him a couple of plays that allows him to get the ball on the low block and attack. Otherwise, he is strictly a screener and spot up on the wing type of player. 

There is an opportunity while Bogi is out to run some offense through him with the second unit. OO has his role down pat, and AHol and Murray are good enough to get their own offense going. Unless we decide to give Dre more run with the reserves, there is need for someone to get touches on the blocks. Why not JJ?

1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Do you like JJ for the long long for us Supes? Do you see him on the team in 2-3 years or using him as a piece to upgrade?

I think we gotta let him play his game. He's not a finisher like Okongwu, JC, and Capela. He gotta play his own game like we had with Gallo. 

That's the only way we gonna see his potential.

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

It's a process for most players. Jalen will be no different. He's eventually going to get assertive enough to tally around 12 points, then another, then another... after about 5 or 6 of those, his proverbial sea legs will be gone, and he'll have a couple in the 17 point neighborhood... and only after that, the potential to have his first 20 point game.

Can't see him being a major asset for us in this first year, but we might not need him to be. We really just need him to fill some minutes and keep gaining confidence.

Same with AJ, though one gets the sense that AJ already is fairly assertive for such a young guy. His development as an asset might move a little quicker than JJ's, if we assume JDay keeps opening that door wider.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 11/5/2022 at 5:51 PM, NBASupes said:

Definitely having a better year 2 than Cam but he's nowhere near year 2 Dre.

Dre's season was so short it is tough to draw too much from that (18 games at the start of the season where he was good and then 5 games later in the season when he was dreadful).  

Also, Dre was 23 in his second year and had 63 games of experience as a rookie.  JJ is still not old enough to drink yet and barely got any time with Atlanta last season.  So you really would expect Hunter to be a lot better in year 2.

A better comparison to me would be year 2 of Josh.  On a per36 basis, Josh was 12.2 points (.500% TS%), 7.5 rebounds, 2.7 assists, 0.9 steals, and 2.9 blocks versus JJ's 12.9 points (.590% TS%), 7.6 rebounds, 1.8 assists, 1.2 steals and 0.3 blocks.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

JJ is still a rookie!  I know.  He played in the NBA last season.  Then, why do I say he's still a rookie?  Because he has already played more minutes this season than he played the entire 2021/22 season.

Now, just think.  He hasn't played all that much this season.

🧑‍🔧

• Like 2

Hunter appears to be a better mid range and three point scorer than Johnson.  Johnson is definitely a better post player because of his physicality.  Johnson appears to be a better passer also.  On defense, Hunter appears to be the better on ball defender on the perimeter and Johnson appears to be the better low post defender.  The pattern is they are different players.  One is a perimeter, mid range guy, the other a low post guy.  Hunter has shown in flashes that he is the real deal.  I noticed that when Trae is either not in the game or like last season's playoff, off his game, Hunter becomes a beast.  That tells me that Hunter florishes when he is a primary scorer and not when he is not.

Oh, Cam Reddish is not even in the conversation.  He is a bonafide bust.  I was pulling for him hard too.

Edited by Hawkmoor

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

I noticed that when Trae is either not in the game or like last season's playoff, off his game, Hunter becomes a beast.  That tells me that Hunter florishes when he is a primary scorer and not when he is not.

Can you spell this out a little further?  Like for this season, Hunter's top 8 games scoring have been with Trae.  His worst scoring game was the one game without Trae.  So he is scoring considerably more with Trae than without him this season (SSS).

Last season, Hunter scored 14 and 17 in games without Trae and scored 18 or more 14 times with Trae.

I'm not saying there hasn't been a big game for Hunter without Trae but it was at least two or three seasons ago.

Obviously, Hunter took advantage of the double and triple teams Trae drew from Miami in the playoffs last year which was great but that was also with Trae.

I'm just not seeing much of a pattern that Hunter flourishes without Trae or that he is suited to be a primary scorer.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...