• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ben Simmons A Hawk? I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Diesel

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Diesel said:

The precedence makes no contract meaningful.   There's 4 years left on Simmons' deal.  If Simmons proves that he can push his way out of a situation where he has a contract, then every player becomes capable of leaving any situation regardless of contract.  It's bully ball.  The problem becomes when Klutch start building teams.  

This is why Philly should take their time.  Just don't pay him and wait until you get a good offer because he is young enough and talented enough to get you one.  Don't settle for a garbage deal because  you are desperate to fill that void.

That said, he is done with the franchise so if value comes you move and you don't expect 100 cents on the dollar for sure but it would be better to deal him next offseason for a real core talent than to do something like get an Isaiah Thomas for Kyrie that you end up cutting like Cleveland did.  You need someone who can be a big part of this team for the next 4 years.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Diesel said:

The precedence makes no contract meaningful.   There's 4 years left on Simmons' deal.  If Simmons proves that he can push his way out of a situation where he has a contract, then every player becomes capable of leaving any situation regardless of contract.  It's bully ball.  The problem becomes when Klutch start building teams.  

@marco102 what he said

14 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

@marco102 what he said

Again, you guys are acting like Rich is some evil agent menacing the league. His client said he wanted out and he is acting on his clients behalf. 

You may not like it. You can't on one hand say Rich doesn't rep his clients with Noel and then turn around and say omg he is doing exactly what Ben wants like its some affront on the league.

Also, this is all on Ben. Don't blame the agent for doing what his client requests.

Edit: This isn't me agreeing with their actions. I think Philly should stick to their guns and get the best deal for themselves. If Ben wants to sit out, let him sit out and not get paid. Maybe go as far as voiding his contract for breach of contract.

Edited by marco102
  • Like 3

• Premium Member
18 hours ago, AHF said:

LMAO at reports today that Simmons is insisting his next team's offense revolve around him.  That is the absolute wrong direction for him to move in his career from this point.  He needs to be a secondary or tertiary creator more like Draymond Green.  Having a team whose offense revolves around a guy who averaged less than 2 shots per 4th quarter in the playoffs is a recipe for failure.  He can definitely be an important and productive part of the offense but a guy who averages 15 ppg in the regular season and 14 ppg in the playoffs cannot be what the team revolves around.  Way too limited a scorer for that role.

18 hours ago, AHF said:

Definitely won't be a Hawk, so we can move on.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Again, you guys are acting like Rich is some evil agent menacing the league. His client said he wanted out and he is acting on his clients behalf. 

You may not like it. You can't on one hand say Rich doesn't rep his clients with Noel and then turn around and say omg he is doing exactly what Ben wants like its some affront on the league.

Also, this is all on Ben. Don't blame the agent for doing what his client requests.

Edit: This isn't me agreeing with their actions. I think Philly should stick to their guns and get the best deal for themselves. If Ben wants to sit out, let him sit out and not get paid. Maybe go as far as voiding his contract for breach of contract.

I think Rich Paul is just the easiest single target to vent frustrations at, which are that the league has nurtured extremely entitled superstar players that can do whatever they want, go wherever they want, and bully every situation.  I love the player empowerment era, and I love the NBA for it (other leagues are embarrassing how they treat the players), but at some point you have to draw a line in the sand.  A lot of people recognize the previous imbalance of players getting traded around team to team and having no say in where they play (mid-contract), and that's part of the rationale for players forcing their way out mid-contract.  Having some leverage to move teams is not a bad thing altogether, but refusing to report to training camp, refusing to play games, and effectively refusing to fulfill you contract at all is over the line imo.  Rich Paul takes the heat for it but it's really league-wide precedent that has been set and multiple parties are responsible for it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I think Rich Paul is just the easiest single target to vent frustrations at, which are that the league has nurtured extremely entitled superstar players that can do whatever they want, go wherever they want, and bully every situation.  I love the player empowerment era, and I love the NBA for it (other leagues are embarrassing how they treat the players), but at some point you have to draw a line in the sand.  A lot of people recognize the previous imbalance of players getting traded around team to team and having no say in where they play (mid-contract), and that's part of the rationale for players forcing their way out mid-contract.  Having some leverage to move teams is not a bad thing altogether, but refusing to report to training camp, refusing to play games, and effectively refusing to fulfill you contract at all is over the line imo.  Rich Paul takes the heat for it but it's really league-wide precedent that has been set and multiple parties are responsible for it

But none of the other powerful agents were vilified for their previous transgressions. It's just because the media has laid the foundation for Rich to take the heat because of the way he got into the business. 

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, marco102 said:

But none of the other powerful agents were vilified for their previous transgressions. It's just because the media has laid the foundation for Rich to take the heat because of the way he got into the business. 

He's just more high-profile because he has Lebron, and the turning point was really when he forced AD to play with Lebron in LA.  You might be right there's some media bias because he's not one of the boys, but I personally just don't like how the league is putting on a facade for small markets but letting players go wherever they want anyways, AFTER signing these rookie max extensions that were designed to keep them with their drafted teams.

• Like 1

Morey is digging himself a hole here. The longer this drags out the less they will get in return. They can’t wait on Dame, that’s gonna be until January at the earliest. 

OKC should try to acquire him for Dort and a couple others and then flip him for 3 more 1st round picks to up their first rounders to 27 in the next 4 years. Lol.

This is so wrong. This whole summer was spent on Ben Simmons, when the focus should have been on the team that beat his butt.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, marco102 said:

You're caping up for Rich.

Ok..

Let me ask... Rich's Job is to put his client in the best position to prosper..  Right?

I mean if Rich had a client who needed an allstar bid to get a better contract in the offseason, Wouldn't Rich start promoting his client as an allstar??  Wouldn't Rich set it up so that his Client is seen with other Allstars?  Wouldn't Rich suggest a dietician and a trainer to help his client to get his body ready??

We don't have to guess this.. Rich Paul Set up Darius Bazley with a dietician, a trainer, etc to get him ready to come into the league and meet incentives that was set by the shoe company. 

Therefore, as an agent, Rich Paul is to put his clients in the best position possible to make them marketable. 

So  Why hasn't he pushed Ben Simmons to go to camp?  There are two parts to every basketball player.   The Player and the Businessman.   Simmons is messing up the Business of Basketball by being unprofessional.   Instead of encouraging that, Rich Paul's messenging to Simmons should have been go to camp.. be professional and we will work on a way to get you exactly what you want.   he has the voice and the power to do that. 

So no.. Paul is not innocent here. 

27 minutes ago, Diesel said:

You're caping up for Rich.

Ok..

Let me ask... Rich's Job is to put his client in the best position to prosper..  Right?

I mean if Rich had a client who needed an allstar bid to get a better contract in the offseason, Wouldn't Rich start promoting his client as an allstar??  Wouldn't Rich set it up so that his Client is seen with other Allstars?  Wouldn't Rich suggest a dietician and a trainer to help his client to get his body ready??

We don't have to guess this.. Rich Paul Set up Darius Bazley with a dietician, a trainer, etc to get him ready to come into the league and meet incentives that was set by the shoe company. 

Therefore, as an agent, Rich Paul is to put his clients in the best position possible to make them marketable. 

So  Why hasn't he pushed Ben Simmons to go to camp?  There are two parts to every basketball player.   The Player and the Businessman.   Simmons is messing up the Business of Basketball by being unprofessional.   Instead of encouraging that, Rich Paul's messenging to Simmons should have been go to camp.. be professional and we will work on a way to get you exactly what you want.   he has the voice and the power to do that. 

So no.. Paul is not innocent here. 

If Ben made his mind up to leave because his teammates and everyone blaming him for the playoff loss, it's up to the agent to act on that point blank simple. 

Who knows if Paul didn't say, maybe you should stay.  Maybe Ben said that was a non-starter.  You can advise your client and then act on what they want weather you believe it's in their best interest or not.  It's up to the player to take good advice or turn down bad advice. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, marco102 said:

If Ben made his mind up to leave because his teammates and everyone blaming him for the playoff loss, it's up to the agent to act on that point blank simple. 

Who knows if Paul didn't say, maybe you should stay.  Maybe Ben said that was a non-starter.  You can advise your client and then act on what they want weather you believe it's in their best interest or not.  It's up to the player to take good advice or turn down bad advice. 

Remember, The Sixers had Ben on the market trying to get Harden at the start of last year, then he bore the brunt of the critism from teammates and coach, so I could see where he feels not wanted by them.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I don't vilify Paul but see him as part of the system that results in these strong arm tactics.  My perspective is not pro-owner or pro-player, it is pro-fanbase and this trend is very bad for fanbases of teams outside of the biggest markets (not that LA is immune to this stuff but they will tend to benefit from it more than they are hurt by it whereas the majority of the league is on the opposite side of that ledger).  Further, I think what is bad for fanbases is bad for the league in the long run.  Simmons wasn't a player I particularly cared about but I'll definitely have a significantly more negative outlook on him going forward.  He is still plenty talented and plenty young to become a bigger impact player in the future but he will be more like Durant to me who I greatly respected and somewhat rooted for in OKC and who I don't like at all from the moment he pushed the "easy" button to jump to GS.  Different situations in some respects but probably similar reputational damage (and at least KD has the game to back it up).

• Like 2

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, marco102 said:

The rest of the league is watching.   IF Ben is not being a professional, he's ruining his future.    Yes, his agent should act on some things... but His agent also has to draw the line and give him advice that will help him secure a better future. 

Just imagine.  Philly Calls the bluff.  Let Ben miss the whole year... force him to go to arbitration.    What team is going to give Ben a 100 Million dollar contract?  None.  He's lowering his value as we speak.. because he's showing that he's not professional. 

An Agent who doesn't advise i.e. make his client do better is not worth a damn!